Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:22:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: And if half of the miners turn off their hardwares ?  (Read 2911 times)
algorista (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

It's got electrolytes

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 02:47:51 AM

Inverted 50% attack. And if half of the miners turn off their hardwares ?

Anyone could please explain the consequences of an attack like this ? (Intentionally made, of course).

I can imagine an never finalized next block.

I understand the inner workings of the Bitcoin network, and I think that an attack like this could be feasible at this time, with the increasing development of ASICs.

*** Sorry if the english is not perfect, i use the google translator.

Thanks.

+---------=====[ Rm 12:21 ]=====---------+
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 03:51:43 AM

Avage block time would be 20 minutes for a few weeks, then back to normal.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
evansearle42

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 06:21:25 AM

This, then our difficulty would be half and everyone would celebrate.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4186
Merit: 8424

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 02:35:22 PM

No doubt the perpetrators of this "attack" can expect much riches. I recommend they commence immediately.
hayek

Activity: 370
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:00:06 PM

It's hard to imagine this scenario.

Displacing this many miners on the network/getting that many to corroborate is unlikely.

The difficulty would still remain at X until readjustment so it's not like the remaining miners would profit that quickly and this would just increase the amount of time the other miners would have to be down.
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:01:21 PM

That'd be great why not turn off 90% of the miners? Roll Eyes
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:03:21 PM

What if 90% of us deleted our wallets!!!11!! A 90% attack!  Shocked   

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:05:09 PM

Why? Higher the better.

alp

Activity: 284
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 07:38:30 PM

Correction - miners would celebrate.  Those who prefer a secure network would be sad.

I am looking for a good signature. Here could be your advertisement
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 10:23:06 PM

Also, previously uneconomic equipment (at the margins thereof) suddenly becomes worth mining with for the duration of the attack... the more of the network that goes down, the wider range of older equipment that becomes viable again. The peak hashrate will not be achievable (probably), but it could turn a 5 week difficulty adjust into, say, four and a half. (bitcoin) World doesn't end.

Vires in numeris
algorista (OP)

It's got electrolytes

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 10:50:00 PM

When I posted this question I was thinking more about the possibility of If at this moment there is already 50% control over the network, with some obscure government agency owning the majority of ASICs. I'm just imagining a scary scenario, not being a real thing.

I also still do not understood the real effects on the calculation of the difficulty when occurs an increase or decrease in hashpower on the whole network.

Assuming that 50% of hashpower is exactly 50% of the difficulty or have any variation  For example, with 50% more hashpower we have only 10% more on difficult or have an equivalence of 50% == 50% ?

Assuming that an increase in hashpower might (this is a question) rise exponentially the difficulty then when removing this extra hashpower no others will be able to meet the demand to complete a block, even in years ?

Thank you for the patience.

riplin

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 01:09:46 AM

You can see the hash power distribution here: http://blockchain.info/pools

There is currently no single miner controlling 50% of the network or even close to it.
biggie

Activity: 85

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 05:21:39 AM

That is the beauty about bitcoin, decentralized ! No one must control 50 %+
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 05:32:14 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2013, 04:39:57 PM by Kluge

50% then goes back online, making actual attacks a bit easier to pull off. Hyper50 Attack. We need more unique names for different theoretical attacks. I was thinking earlier, about the one-Satoshi dust transactions I'd guess are aimed at connecting addresses to an identity. I decided it should be called Dusty Taint Sniffing. ... Uh - what were we talking about?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 05:44:52 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2013, 09:36:24 PM by DeathAndTaxes

When I posted this question I was thinking more about the possibility of If at this moment there is already 50% control over the network, with some obscure government agency owning the majority of ASICs. I'm just imagining a scary scenario, not being a real thing.

I also still do not understood the real effects on the calculation of the difficulty when occurs an increase or decrease in hashpower on the whole network.

Assuming that 50% of hashpower is exactly 50% of the difficulty or have any variation  For example, with 50% more hashpower we have only 10% more on difficult or have an equivalence of 50% == 50% ?

Assuming that an increase in hashpower might (this is a question) rise exponentially the difficulty then when removing this extra hashpower no others will be able to meet the demand to complete a block, even in years ?

Thank you for the patience.

No.  There is a perfect linear relationship between difficulty and hashrate.

If 50% of hashpower shut off (for whatever reason) then the time between blocks would rise to ~20 minutes and 0-4 weeks later the network would adjust and the time between blocks would fall back to 10 minutes.

If 75% of hashpower shut off (for whatever reason) then the time between blocks would rise to ~40 minutes and 0-16 weeks later the network would adjust and the time between blocks would fall back to 10 minutes.

If 90% of hashpower shut off (for whatever reason) then the time between blocks would rise to ~ 100 minutes and 0-20 weeks later the network would adjust and the time between blocks would fall to 25 minutes* and then 16 weeks later it would adjust again back to 10 minutes.

If 99% of hashpower shut off (for whatever reason) then the time between blocks would rise to ~1000 minutes and 0-200 weeks later the network would adjust and the time between blocks would fall to 250 minutes* and then 50 weeks later it would adjust again to ~60 minutes and then 12 weeks later it would adjust again to ~15 minutes ....

On edit: * network difficulty adjustment capped at 1/4 and 4x.  Of course rules can be changed and is Bitcoin is "stuck" there will be significant consenus to adjust the difficulty either as a one time change or a more adaptive difficulty algorithm.

There is no probable scenario where even a malicious removal of hashpower would result in block time taking a year or more.   1 year = 87,600 minutes.  10 minute target = 8,760x larger.  1/8,760 = 0.014%.  It would require 99.986% of the network to shutdown overnight.   Since no single entity owns 99.986% of the network, hell no contininent has that much we likely are talking an extinction level event (i.e. 99.986% of nodes go offline because they no longer exist due to an asteroid impact). Smiley

algorista (OP)

It's got electrolytes

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:59:34 AM

DeathAndTaxes, thats a perfect explanation.

Thank you.

riplin

Activity: 116

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 07:54:32 PM

If 90% of hashpower shut off (for whatever reason) then the time between blocks would rise to ~ 100 minutes and 0-20 weeks later the network would adjust and the time between blocks would fall back to 10 minutes.

If 99% of hashpower shut off (for whatever reason) then the time between blocks would rise to ~1000 minutes and 0-200 weeks later the network would adjust and the time between blocks would fall back to 10 minutes.

Sorry, but no. The difficulty changes are capped at max 4x current difficulty and 1/4th current difficulty.

Edit:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/src/main.cpp

main.cpp, line 1299, GetNextWorkRequired(...)

specifically, lines 1338 ... 1341:

Code:
    if (nActualTimespan < nTargetTimespan/4)
        nActualTimespan = nTargetTimespan/4;
    if (nActualTimespan > nTargetTimespan*4)
        nActualTimespan = nTargetTimespan*4;
algorista (OP)

It's got electrolytes

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 09:27:29 PM

Sorry, but no. The difficulty changes are capped at max 4x current difficulty and 1/4th current difficulty.

Very interesting.

Then someone with sufficient hashpower (lets say someone with an ASIC production line, and infinite paper money) could cause some problems to the network if suddenly remove their hardwares.

Obviously such an attack would not come from someone who seeks profit in mining, but would come from someone with an interest in weakening the bitcoin markets.

algorista (OP)

It's got electrolytes

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 09:30:09 PM

And, of course, a Extinction Level Event could cause some problems to bitcoin too Grin

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 09:32:00 PM

Good point forgot about that.  Fixed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: