Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:50:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling 6990's...  (Read 3115 times)
alans (OP)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 10:39:24 AM

I've been reading through a lot of the marketplace postings and such and boy do scams abound!

Here's the deal.  I just got trounced by my landlord for sucking up the juice with my little mining operation and rather than go looking for a new place to live I think I'm going to part out the systems I have starting with 8 Sapphire HD 6990's.

What's the best way for me to sell them?  One of the things I love about bitcoins is that they aren't paypal.  But, at the same time I don't know how comfortable I am with making a large btc transaction with an anonymous stranger.  Looks like a lot of people have gotten scammed and I don't want to get involved in some whack-jobs life.  Still, I really don't want to give a cut to paypal/ebay.

It looks like there a couple of escrow sites and btc auction sites coming on line but this is going to be a pretty big sale and a btc auction site with two whole items listed in Russian is probably no safer than accepting a wire transfer from an African prince.

So, as of now these cards are NOT for sale.  I am not going to answer any questions about them or dicker over price until I've determined the best way for me to sell them and the best way for someone else to buy them.  Once' they're up for sale I'll happily provide details, photos and what not and will let you know here where/how to go about bidding/buying/whatever I end up deciding what to do.

Rather, I would appreciate your input and insight on the best way to conduct a large transaction like this in bitcoins.

Worst case, I post them on ebay, I have an excellent rating there but haven't used it in a few years.

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww239/axsever/P1080512.jpg
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
alans (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 11:05:22 AM

As an incentive I will give 1BTC divided equally among the folks that provide any valuable insight or opinion on the matter.  If I think your input has merit and or it helps me make the decision on how best to sell them I will pm you asking for the address.  I will post the username of each person getting a share of the bounty.

Thanks! 
larrythesimpleton

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 02:42:40 PM

The problem with Ebay/Paypal is that between the two, you lose almost 15% off the top of your selling price with their fees.  I still use them a lot, but not for such high dollar items.

I would first suggest trying to sell locally for cash using a site like Craigslist.

Or you could open up an Amazon.com seller account.  Their fees are a little less than ebay and you still hit quite a large amount of potential buyers.

Or use a third party/escrow shipping service and still try to move them on forums here or hardforum, etc...

If you felt like taking a huge financial loss, you could sell them to me.  Thought I would throw that in there.
tman540

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 02:57:27 PM

Alans, you should without a doubt try using craigslist as well. You can do local meet ups with people to save shipping costs and paypal fees. If someone cannot meet up at all costs, you can tell him to send you the payment as a gift. I believe paypal does not charge their customers any percentages if it's sent as a gift.
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 03:01:23 PM

16x6990="little" mining operation? I guess my mining operation is microscopic then. Is the landlord's complaint that you are just using too much power, or was he/she paying the bill? Have you considered just scaling down or moving the rigs someplace where you can rent the power? (Don't know much about renting power, but I remember running across a post on this forum that mentioned it.)
rot

Activity: 17

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 03:16:29 PM

just sell them on ebay. looks like your using the cheapest parts you for your computer.  Just saw one sell for 2200. so you;d make around 2000
tman540

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 03:25:59 PM

just sell them on ebay. looks like your using the cheapest parts you for your computer.  Just saw one sell for 2200. so you;d make around 2000

You lose too much money through fees, esp when the items that you're selling are expensive. IMO, craiglist with local pick up. You can't go wrong.
ruski

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 03:38:36 PM

I'm selling 8x6990s, but I dont really trust any of you, I don't know where (or how) to sell them, and BTW I'm not selling them. Derp.

alans (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 05:50:35 PM

The problem with Ebay/Paypal is that between the two, you lose almost 15% off the top of your selling price with their fees.  I still use them a lot, but not for such high dollar items.

I would first suggest trying to sell locally for cash using a site like Craigslist.

Or you could open up an Amazon.com seller account.  Their fees are a little less than ebay and you still hit quite a large amount of potential buyers.

Or use a third party/escrow shipping service and still try to move them on forums here or hardforum, etc...

If you felt like taking a huge financial loss, you could sell them to me.  Thought I would throw that in there.

I hadn't thought about amazon - I will check their rates.
alans (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 05:52:02 PM

Alans, you should without a doubt try using craigslist as well. You can do local meet ups with people to save shipping costs and paypal fees. If someone cannot meet up at all costs, you can tell him to send you the payment as a gift. I believe paypal does not charge their customers any percentages if it's sent as a gift.

I kind of live in the boonies.  I may be able to sell one or two locally via craigslist...
alans (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 05:57:47 PM

16x6990="little" mining operation? I guess my mining operation is microscopic then. Is the landlord's complaint that you are just using too much power, or was he/she paying the bill? Have you considered just scaling down or moving the rigs someplace where you can rent the power? (Don't know much about renting power, but I remember running across a post on this forum that mentioned it.)

It's only 8x6990 - the other 8 are 6970's which are easy to find/buy so I'll probably take a loss on them.  Electricity used to be included in my rent.  When I asked about getting a couple more 20amp circuits installed...well...I was informed they went or I did.
alans (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:08:51 PM

I'm selling 8x6990s, but I dont really trust any of you, I don't know where (or how) to sell them, and BTW I'm not selling them. Derp.

I'm sorry if I've offended you.  As the seller I'm really in the position to screw people over by saying "Send me 85BTC and I'll send you the card" then never actually sending the card.

I would like to find a fair, direct, secure way to make a large transaction using bitcoins.  I know very well how and where to buy and sell stuff on the internet, just not with bitcoins.  So I'm looking to the bitcoin community for a solution before I enter into any kind of contract or agreement with a buyer.  I guess you think being prudent and thoughtful about this kind of thing is stupid.  Darwin had a word for the the result of that kind of mentatility...

I am selling the cards, but not until I'm able to determine the best way to do it.  If I didn't trust the people here I wouldn't ask their opinion now would I?  I've done a lot of reading trying to find a good solution and was hoping the community could provide some more direct answers than I had been finding.
alans (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:21:43 PM

larrythesimp and tman540 are in for shares of the bounty at this point.  Surely someone must have a good solution for this or maybe btc are just the dust in the wind some people think they are.  How can we consider it a real currency if there's no way to exchange them for anything of real value?  Hopefully the world will catch up so BTC will be useful for something more than micro payments. 
dISh

Activity: 8

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:32:45 PM

nice and tidy builds, host them at a friends place Smiley
alans (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:44:08 PM

nice and tidy builds, host them at a friends place Smiley

Thanks!  I've built a few thousand computers in my day so they are well put together. 

Once I sell the 6990's I will probably sell the rest locally.  The cases pictured have been um..."violated" would be a good term, for a ducted cooling solution so I plan on buying some generic desktop cases and slapping in the DVD drives that came free with the rack cases (thanks newegg!).  I figure they will make a nice little gaming rig with a 6970 and a 1050 PS.

As far as hosting at a friends house, there's always the question of the ~$3/day they use in power.  I'd rather sell them to someone who wants to mine on their own than get involved in a profit-sharing arrangement that may only end in bad feelings and broken friendships.  That and the current heat wave is making me think maybe what I really need is a nice car with AC.  Smiley
xus

Activity: 46

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 07:36:03 PM

just a question because i am snoopy Tongue

how much MHs you made with this "rack"?

best regards
alans (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 07:46:48 PM

just a question because i am snoopy Tongue

how much MHs you made with this "rack"?

best regards

Each miner (3x Caymans - 1x6990 + 1x6970) has been pretty consistent at 1275-1350MHash/second using the configuration listed here:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=25798.0

I haven't been able to get the full rack running all at once because of power limitations so I've never seen the glorious 10.2-10.8GHash/sec rate they are capable of.  At 6-8amps/miner @~850 watts + cooling system I just don't have the capacity to run it all at once.
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2011, 08:01:16 PM

Where are you located?

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
alans (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 08:29:23 PM

Where are you located?

In a bunker deep underground made of hardened concrete with 3ft walls surround by swamps infested with herpes infected alligators and gun-toting rednecks within the perimeter of a top secret military installation patrolled by black helicopters with night vision and miniguns and artificially intelligent cyborg sentries that emit deadly radiation and nerve toxins.

It's hell to get a pizza delivered.

Or, to be less specific - Colorado.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 08:37:00 PM

Where did you find that many 6990s???

Mousepotato
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print