Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:18:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ban Image Macros  (Read 3040 times)
Anonymous

July 25, 2011, 11:27:13 AM

There's been a spread of image macro replies and terrible memes on this board. As several others have pointed out, there is a general lack of moderation with regards to the forums in the first place, but I think one thing that could go a long way to cleaning up the forum is to develop a hard-line stance on things like image macros.

Image Macros, memes, and inside jokes from 4-chan contribute nothing to any discussion, they worsen the image of bitcoin by making it appear as if the primary userbase is sophomoric teenagers who have nothing to contribute. It's frustrating sifting through crap to find the few useful replies, and nothing is more frustrating than seeing a terrible image with an unfunny joke someone pulled off the internet and just decided they HAD to share with people as a first reply to a well thought out post.

Further hardline moderation of people referring to everyone who disagrees with them as trolls would go a long way towards helping clean this place up.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AllYourBase

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 01:55:26 PM

As several others have pointed out, there is a general lack of moderation with regards to the forums in the first place

It's not a general lack of moderation.  It is an intentional decision to be very tolerant.  If you dislike it, make a competing forum.  I'd love for there to be multiple places to discuss bitcoins  Grin  Why only have vanilla?
Anonymous

July 25, 2011, 02:27:32 PM

Anonymous

July 25, 2011, 03:33:14 PM

Atlas, this is not the thread of mine you should be replying to.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2011, 03:40:47 PM

Policing images would put far too much work on the mods plates.

I think we'll be sticking to our very permissive ways for the near future until it becomes a real problem (i.e. image spamming). Also sometimes I like the images, has anyone looked at the thread watching bitcoin prices, that's full of those images. Some of them are pretty appropriate though.

Long story short though if you don't like them then use a filter.

Nefario.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Anonymous

July 25, 2011, 04:24:48 PM

Things like the image Atlas posted above contribute nothing to a thread other than to eat bandwidth and pad his post count. I understand you might personally like them, but are you seriously making policy decisions based off of personal taste?

I would also argue that image macros are the very definition of image spamming.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 04:27:40 PM

Things like the image Atlas posted above contribute nothing to a thread other than to eat bandwidth and pad his post count. I understand you might personally like them, but are you seriously making policy decisions based off of personal taste?

I would also argue that image macros are the very definition of image spamming.
Some people like images... especially the funny ones... like the one Atlas posted above.  I enjoy those sort of things.  And I'm not some teenager from 4chan, I just enjoy that type of humor.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone else agrees with you.
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 04:37:43 PM

enmaku

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 05:03:16 PM

Would it help if we use the "report to mod" on all the stupid, useless ones?

Because that's exactly what the mod staff needs. It occurs to me that a very large amount of stupid useless material hits this forum every day, not just in image macro form - if the mods tried to police stupidity or uselessness we'd need a full time staff of hundreds.

Also, such macros reek of 4chan and I'm pretty sure our mods are 'net veterans who know better than to mess with 4chan.
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2011, 05:17:04 PM

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 05:23:17 PM

Really, why do you need an image to make that statement? How is the image even related to the text? Why are you making a post three screens tall to deliver one line of poorly phrased text? Huff, huff, /rant
An image can convey a lot more than text can.  Especially some good laughs.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 05:44:39 PM

Really, why do you need an image to make that statement? How is the image even related to the text? Why are you making a post three screens tall to deliver one line of poorly phrased text? Huff, huff, /rant
An image can convey a lot more than text can.  Especially some good laughs.

If the image is just text, then why not just write the text? Most of these images are not even funny.
What you find funny and what other people find funny could be completely different things.  You can't say "Most of these images are not even funny," because it's simply not true.  You can't make statements like that with the implication that they apply to anyone and everyone.

And none of those texts would be funny without the corresponding images.
Anonymous

July 25, 2011, 06:25:26 PM

Comedy value aside (though personally I find them completely unfunny), if this is going to be a serious place to discuss the future of an entire currency then perhaps we shouldn't be allowing the most vocal segment of the users to look like idiots at passing glance in a place easily accessible to the public.

Macros make you come across like a teenager or an idiot, neither of which is a good face for a public forum linked to Bitcoins.
enmaku

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:27:09 PM

Comedy value aside (though personally I find them completely unfunny), if this is going to be a serious place to discuss the future of an entire currency then perhaps we shouldn't be allowing the most vocal segment of the users to look like idiots at passing glance in a place easily accessible to the public.

Macros make you come across like a teenager or an idiot, neither of which is a good face for a public forum linked to Bitcoins.

The "serious place" ship has sailed my friend.

If you want good info and strong moderation, help us get the StackExchange site started:
http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/30763/bitcoin-crypto-currency

It's stagnating and could use some help and strong promotion.
TheRandomGuy

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:32:22 PM

YOUR ALL CRAZY!!!!  Shocked

BTC: 1wbGAAabrsu8pjVXWUQvjUUhe18e721K2
FAUCET ROTATOR SCRIPT
enmaku

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:39:33 PM

YOUR ALL CRAZY!!!!  Shocked

Anonymous

July 25, 2011, 06:40:57 PM

If you want good info and strong moderation, help us get the StackExchange site started:

Is this your project?

And as long as this forum is linked to the official Bitcoin site, the moderation staff should do their best to make it presentable to the general public and the media. That includes not allowing it to become an extension of 4chan.
enmaku

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:45:16 PM

Is this your project?

And as long as this forum is linked to the official Bitcoin site, the moderation staff should do their best to make it presentable to the general public and the media. That includes not allowing it to become an extension of 4chan.

1) Not my project, but I think it's worthwhile so I'm trying hard to help it succeed.

2) We were removed from the main bitcoin.org page some time last week, probably for the exact reasons you specify. StackExchange lends itself to an info-centric and heavily moderated format much better than an open forum, hence why I'm hoping it works better than these forums for certain purposes.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:45:48 PM

Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:45:55 PM