Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 10:40:00 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Bitcoin Complete Privacy/Anarchy Fantasy Dead?  (Read 942 times)
Varicon (OP)

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:23:24 PM

Months ago it was common to find posts about how Bitcoin was going to turn the financial world upside down, destroying world governments, and finally providing financial freedom to the people.  It was though that the government would not know how to respond to this "world changing technology" and would struggle to fight it until they finally died out.

Now it appears that the day to day use of Bitcoin will be not so different than current systems.

1. Most Bitcoins are bought non-anonymously on exchanges.  When the average person will buy themselves Bitcoins, they will complete AML verifications tying their identity to the coins they purchased.

2. All financial institutions will AML verify even if they were to accept Bitcoin.  Imagine Visa or Paypal begin accepting Bitcoin to pay your credit card bills and make purchases.  People would see this as a massive benefit but how is it much different than we currently have?  All your Bitcoin payments to them will be recorded and able to be subpoenaed by the government at their will.

While I still see Bitcoin as having excellent properties from non-seizability, to being easy and great to use for transactions, does anyone else think some of the ideological ideas of Bitcoin are dying, or at least heavily weakened?
Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:27:36 PM

Months ago it was common to find posts about how Bitcoin was going to turn the financial world upside down, destroying world governments, and finally providing financial freedom to the people.  It was though that the government would not know how to respond to this "world changing technology" and would struggle to fight it until they finally died out.

Now it appears that the day to day use of Bitcoin will be not so different than current systems.

1. Most Bitcoins are bought non-anonymously on exchanges.  When the average person will buy themselves Bitcoins, they will complete AML verifications tying their identity to the coins they purchased.

2. All financial institutions will AML verify even if they were to accept Bitcoin.  Imagine Visa or Paypal begin accepting Bitcoin to pay your credit card bills and make purchases.  People would see this as a massive benefit but how is it much different than we currently have?  All your Bitcoin payments to them will be recorded and able to be subpoenaed by the government at their will.

While I still see Bitcoin as having excellent properties from non-seizability, to being easy and great to use for transactions, does anyone else think some of the ideological ideas of Bitcoin are dying, or at least heavily weakened?

1. An exchange uses BTC as well as Fiat money. If you use government currency you have to play my there rules. When people start earning BTC instead of buying them, things will change.

2) Visa and Paypal are unnecessary in the bitcoin community since BTC transaction are cheaper than any of their system.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:28:18 PM

The United States is not the world.
StevenS

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:28:46 PM

I just bought some bitcoins using localbitcoins.com, which does not require any AML information. I deposited some cash into the seller's checking account, and he sent me the bitcoins.

In that particular transaction, the seller obviously had to register with the bank to have a checking account in the first place, but also possible is local cash transactions, which don't go through any bank. I'll try one of those later.
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 05:31:55 PM

Have you heard about Zerocoin?

MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:56:46 PM

Yes, but do we have any idea when/if this will be implemented in bitcoin? I remember reading about zerocoin at some point and being excited about it, but it seems so long ago.
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 05:58:41 PM

Yes, but do we have any idea when/if this will be implemented in bitcoin? I remember reading about zerocoin at some point and being excited about it, but it seems so long ago.

I don't know if there are any plans to implement it in Bitcoin at this point in time, but I would bet that somebody is ramping up to implement it in an altcoin.  Then anonymity would be a simple matter of obtaining Bitcoins and exchanging them for that altcoin.

aynstein

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

Fortune favors the bold, and sometimes the bald.

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 06:21:22 PM

Did I miss something or doesnt mining your own keep you anonymous? It's not convenient as exchanging value for BTC, but convenience and anonymity are more often then not mutually exclusive.

AltaVista 4 Life!
CtrlAltBernanke420

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 04:03:02 AM

Then anonymity would be a simple matter of obtaining Bitcoins and exchanging them for that altcoin.

and then the miners of these alt coins run off with your BITCOINS, that they obtained completely anonymously... Get it...

If after they trade for your bitcoins, stop mining that coin, you are stuck in 2 ways, 1, someone needs to process the transactions.. 2 someone has to be willing to trade it for equal amount of BTC cash value.. Odds are that these will not happen. good luck
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: