Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:35:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nearly bricked my 6990.  (Read 1765 times)
ruski (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 02:34:16 PM

A cautionary tale for OCers..

So, I'd been running it for a week straight. OCd with AB, 940MHz core oc/820MHz mem uc. Stable at 80C per core. Using CCC to boost the power to each core by 4 and 5 pct, 0 and 1 respectively.

Anyway, I decided to take the memory down further. Unlocked AB and took it to 700. No worries. So then I tried 600. Only I didnt type 600, I typed 300.

Artifacts and malignment everywhere. Then it hung. So I turned it all off and went back to BIOS 2, restarted. Soon as windows loads  - fan at 100%, frozen. Restart. Uninstall CCC, start again. Now it dies during install. Im tearing my hair out.

I figure CCC has the power settings somewhere that didnt uninstall. So instead of doing it again, I manually delete every ATi and AB file and registry. After which, run uninstall again, and reinstall. With baited breath I waited....

And it worked! Stable, CCC runs OK. (I didnt mention - the only way to start outside safe mode was to open taskmgr and kill MOM.exe before it could do anything.)

So, I start mining again, running AB and CCC. I restore the power settings, leave the memory at a safe 820MHz uc. D'oh. I didnt disconnect the DVD drive I connected to reinstall drivers. Power down, take it out, reboot.

DOA.

I now have deny all user access to both instances of MOM, and CCC. I'm fairly sure the card memory is fried now, or at least damaged. Its mining at a happy 810Mhash/s right now, I'm scared to game with it though.

Moral of the story? WATCH YOUR GODDAMN FAT FINGERS.  Cry Cry

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
1.21gigawatts

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 04:10:47 PM

You can't brick your card from underclocking the memory too much.
DOA means Dead On Arrival or Defective On Arrival.  Can't be DOA if you got it out of the box brand new and it's working
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 05:30:11 PM

You can't brick your card from underclocking the memory too much.
DOA means Dead On Arrival or Defective On Arrival.  Can't be DOA if you got it out of the box brand new and it's working

lol. I was thinking the exact same things.

At worst a driver could get corrupted as the entire system freezes when you downclock the memory too much. The card can't die from any amount of downclocking, hell, even excessive undervolting will just freeze the system.

Screen artifacting after changing clock frequencies doesn't indicate bricked memory or a broken card, that happens every time when components are run at specifications not suited for operation, which means you have to tweak them

& A DVD drive can't be dead on arrival if you have been using it...

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
fitty

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:53:49 PM

A cautionary tale for OCers..

So, I'd been running it for a week straight. OCd with AB, 940MHz core oc/820MHz mem uc. Stable at 80C per core. Using CCC to boost the power to each core by 4 and 5 pct, 0 and 1 respectively.

Anyway, I decided to take the memory down further. Unlocked AB and took it to 700. No worries. So then I tried 600. Only I didnt type 600, I typed 300.

Artifacts and malignment everywhere. Then it hung. So I turned it all off and went back to BIOS 2, restarted. Soon as windows loads  - fan at 100%, frozen. Restart. Uninstall CCC, start again. Now it dies during install. Im tearing my hair out.

I figure CCC has the power settings somewhere that didnt uninstall. So instead of doing it again, I manually delete every ATi and AB file and registry. After which, run uninstall again, and reinstall. With baited breath I waited....

And it worked! Stable, CCC runs OK. (I didnt mention - the only way to start outside safe mode was to open taskmgr and kill MOM.exe before it could do anything.)

So, I start mining again, running AB and CCC. I restore the power settings, leave the memory at a safe 820MHz uc. D'oh. I didnt disconnect the DVD drive I connected to reinstall drivers. Power down, take it out, reboot.

DOA.

I now have deny all user access to both instances of MOM, and CCC. I'm fairly sure the card memory is fried now, or at least damaged. Its mining at a happy 810Mhash/s right now, I'm scared to game with it though.

Moral of the story? WATCH YOUR GODDAMN FAT FINGERS.  Cry Cry

You didn't almost brick it. You could put in -10 for memory and it's fine. You could put in 50 for memory and it's fine. You can't brick it by setting the core/mem with CCC. Worst case you uninstall/reinstall. =)

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
ruski (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 09:45:49 AM

No no no..

By DOA, I meant on arrival to the system, ie. startup. Poetic license here, people. And there was nothing wrong with the DVD drive, it's just awkward to connect with my setup.

Since I have done the whole uninstall/reinstall and I'm now back to where I started, are you sure I couldnt've bricked it? Could the overvoltage + the lowered memory clock have damaged the memory? Everywhere I look, massive distortions + freezing is said to be caused by faulty memory.

Why did it previously run stable at the same power, memory & core settings I had before, but with the same settings now freezes, if the memory isn't damaged?

mrblu

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 03:14:14 PM

I get artifacts/crashes when I go below 400mhz mem but 405mhz on the other hand works fine.

OC 944mhz core/405mhz mem stable at ~67degrees. Note that the current ambient temperature is about 11C which is about 58F
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 04:47:12 PM

Why did it previously run stable at the same power, memory & core settings I had before, but with the same settings now freezes, if the memory isn't damaged?

Trying a shotgun diagnosis here.. Did you lower the fan speed at any time?

Ages ago I just had a single 5850 which I OC'ed & mined with that.
A fan speed below 50% would make it freeze as the VRM's were not getting enough cool air. At 75%, no freezes whatsoever.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 07:08:02 PM

i don't think a memory underclock will kill your card. it's gotta be something else

ruski (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 10:27:19 AM

Nope, the fan has been at 81% for 0-79°C and 87% for 80°C+.

Anyway, it's running stably now at 945 MHz, without the overvolting (as far as I know, AB won't show voltage, it may be stuck at the higher power regardless). Guess I can do without CCC. Thanks though.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: