Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 11:56:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Making MEW more secure???  (Read 181 times)
ankurguta87 (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 117

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 10:15:43 AM

Hi friends,

Is there any way to make MEW wallet more secure like enabling 2-factor authentication or sms otp etc. I tried to Google it but I don't think MEW support 2FA.

Also, what are some best MEW alternatives that you are using?

jack hand

Activity: 104
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 10:22:08 AM

I also find that MEW is not very safe but there is no way to make MEW safer. I often use cold wallets
silent17

Activity: 420
Merit: 119

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 10:31:35 AM

Hi friends,

Is there any way to make MEW wallet more secure like enabling 2-factor authentication or sms otp etc. I tried to Google it but I don't think MEW support 2FA.

Well, MEW is just an application to create a wallet, I usually use a metamask to secure my wallet. When i use it in some of the exchange like Etherdelta and Idex.
Veter2000

Activity: 1512
Merit: 306

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 10:33:14 AM

Hi friends,

Use Metamask to send tokens and MEW as a wallet for long-term storage. So your primary address will become more secure or use hardware wallets.
deevan

Activity: 238
Merit: 7

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 10:34:52 AM

No, MEW does not support 2FA & SMS OTP, just to avoid getting phished or scam make sure you always visit the legit MEW website, better to bookmark it & always unlock your wallet via MEW, no other site. If you still getting fear about login on MEW via JSON or Private key then better to buy Nano ledger and integrate it with MEW you will be very safe as your private keys won't exposed online, you will be signing every transaction from Nano ledger device. It is just 98$ and worth to invest.
Yudam

Activity: 251
Merit: 101

Bitgesell (BGL) Decentralized Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 10:47:13 AM

Maybe you bsa try to use imToken on your smartphone milliki. I think imToken is an application that not only has good security, it also has token acceptance automation feature without having to look for the token in MEW

skip60

Activity: 630
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 10:55:16 AM

Hi friends,

if you use the "offline wallet" option of mew, it is very safe. it is like cold storage

by using offline wallet, you never log in with json file or your private key on an online computer

you do your transfers from another computer which is online

you can read mew website and github to learn how to use offline wallet option
Adunni6758

Activity: 420
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 10:59:21 AM

Well MEW cannot be more secured than it is now and you can't add any additionally security details, apart from what has been programmed on it. If you really want a more secured wallet is when you use hardware wallet, which i feel is far better. Your hardware wallet cannot be hacked. Except you give your security details to a third party.
Hardware wallet is an example of cold wallet and examples of hardware wallets are, Trezor, Ledger Nano and KeepKey. These wallets are good and well secured.
Longfellow27

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 11:06:11 AM

I haven't seen Myetherwallet with this feature. They offer a method of doing it secure with their offline address creation. And offline transaction processing as well but it is for advanced users. It is a bit hard to do.
metalglowd

Activity: 546
Merit: 10

💲 EMIREX EXCHANGE 💲

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2018, 03:40:30 PM

Hi friends,

i think the best way to make your wallet secure is import your mew wallet into metamask extension, i also use that for more secure transaction, and since i used it and till now, my wallet never been compromised or even a suspicious transaction. like my wallet have a great health condition.

❱  Whitepaper  ❱   E M R X ─ Token ─   :   LEARN MORE   
      E M I R E X         ─── إمركس ───          :         The Infrastructure for the
[ ◾ telegram   ◾ facebook   ◾ TWITTER ]   New Digital Economy
PetrovichCoinMaster

Activity: 224
Merit: 17

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 04:22:23 PM

I think the best solution is to use MEW in conjunction with the Ledger or Trezor, which will significantly increase the security of the wallet.
AlexaSonda

Activity: 504

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 04:27:44 PM

I think the best solution is to use MEW in conjunction with the Ledger or Trezor, which will significantly increase the security of the wallet.
I agree with you and I have been using nano ledger as wallet to keep my assets in the long term, this is very safe and OP should try it.
supermine

Activity: 826
Merit: 518

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 04:33:40 PM
Merited by ankurguta87 (1)

Hi friends,

Mew don't need 2 factor authentication or sms verification code because it already has the most secured form of password called private key it is impossible to hack your private key,so you need to keep your private keys safe if you want your MEW to be secured.An other things you can do are

• Keep the system offline when it is not needed
  • Use the ether scan.io to keep track your transactions
  • Bookmark the official website of MEW so it will prevent you from entering into clone websites
ccsang

Activity: 910
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 04:37:50 PM

I agree with you and I have been using nano ledger as wallet to keep my assets in the long term, this is very safe and OP should try it.
+1, myetherwallet don't support 2FA, so the best combo to secure your fund is Hardware Wallet + Myetherwallet, nobody can steal your private key, believed me and don't wait until losses your fund, then only buy a hardware wallet, it's also not expensive  Smiley
rachit1kakkar

Activity: 1

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 04:39:40 PM

I think  bookmarking the website and then using on brave browser is enough security. MEW is  not a wallet to enable 2fa
MISS_nSTASSY

Activity: 392
Merit: 105

Vena.Network

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 04:49:16 PM

Hi friends,

As was mentioned myetherwallet doesnt provide 2-factor verification neither via Google 2fa nor SMS. So there is no posibility to make it safer.
But if you want to be sure your ethereum is in safe place, just generate private key from secured device. And then transfer.
Or if you want hot storage with top security - you need to buy one of harware wallets like Trezor which provides token transactions

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾       WhitePaper       ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾       Vena Network       ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾       Announce       ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
―――――       Luoshu Agreement - an Open Agreement For Asset Financing and Tokenization       ―――――
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾      Telegram    ‾‾    Github    ‾‾         Join Our Bounty         ‾‾    Twitter    ‾‾    FaceBook      ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
teilwalL05

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 04:53:57 PM

You can not make an online wallet even more safer if that is the only feature in securing it, But it is your own choice in keeping your coins safe if you want it to be more safer please don't be clumsy enough to share your private key or lose it because if that Private key will be gone then say goodbye to your coins and token, Well if you want a more safest wallet for your coins get a cold storage one to be sure on the security features involve in it.
josgandosbro

Activity: 561

https://imgur.com/cUCkVsv

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 04:57:21 PM

I use mew from myetherwallet as long as you keep the private key and do not give anybody surely you will not experience many problems

IrenNTA

Activity: 364

"One Token to Move Anything Anywhere"

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 04:59:39 PM

Here're few advices how to make use MEW safely:
1. Bookmark it and always open it only from the bookmark
2. Before unlocking the wallet check MEW official twitter for any kind of hacking attempts.
3. Unlock your wallet only using Metamask and only if you need to send tokens. Use Meramask to send ETH. and etherscan or ethplorer to check the balance.
4. Never share your private key to anyone and never open any suspicious links from your mail.
Following these steps will make your money safe.
quierx16

Activity: 434
Merit: 110

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 05:01:19 PM

Hi friends,

I've been using mew for a year now. and its very safe i store almost all my erc20 token there. just don't give your private key to anyone.
for alternative, take a look at metamask. just the same of mew. you can even use your metamask account to mew.

DIAGON  e S p o r t s       Global decentralize eSports ecosystem
JAP CN SPN RU   WHITEPAPER  ]   ICO ❱ ❱  Nov. 12 th
facebook    TWITTER    reddit     ────   (   B U Y   )   ────
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: