Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:22:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: OGNASTY now Guilty of trademark infringement.. When will this punk stop?  (Read 878 times)
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 07:55:56 PM

How are the Chinese getting away with their similarly sounding copycat branding? They are legally selling copycat products in direct competition with the companies they are copying from. What's the difference between BitcoinPenny/BitcoinNastyPenny and, for example, Nokia/Nokla or RedBull/RidBull or StarBucks/StarFucks?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinPenny
aka CJBianco
Legendary

Activity: 2662
Merit: 2203

BitcoinPenny.com

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2018, 08:24:16 PM

How are the Chinese getting away with their similarly sounding copycat branding? They are legally selling copycat products in direct competition with the companies they are copying from. What's the difference between BitcoinPenny/BitcoinNastyPenny and, for example, Nokia/Nokla or RedBull/RidBull or StarBucks/StarFucks?

It's a good question, Wendigo. "The Chinese" is a broad statement. I assure you that Nokia, RedBull, and Starbucks all pursue trademark infringement lawsuits with the companies who infringe. (Usually, all it takes is a letter from Nokia's legal department.) However, as soon as one company is court-ordered to stop production or simply shut-down for illegal operations without permits, another pops up in its place. There isn't just a single "Chinese" manufacturer doing all the infringing with knock-off products. Counterfeiting is big business. Often, it's worth the hassle to sell a few knock-offs, pay a few fines, close-up shop, then re-open somewhere on the next block.

Regards,
Chris

BitcoinPenny.com | "When it comes to bitcoin swag, we make perfect CENTS!"
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 08:24:23 PM

First of all you can't claim to have copyrights on the word ''bitcoin'' nor the word ''penny'' They only have copyrights on  ''BitcoinPenny'' as a whole, not separate. You can't claim copyright if someone decides to use ''bitcoin'' or ''penny'' just like ''wholefoods'' would not be able to claim copyright if someone uses the word food.

True, sort of. You're right that no person/company can trademark the individual words "bitcoin" or "penny." However, they can trademark the combination of those words, as in "Bitcoin Penny™." It's the same as the words "home" and "depot." Individually, they are non-trademarkable. Together, they are 100% trademarked.

Additionally, it's not just the words themselves that carry trademark weight. It's the category of product or service where that trademark is used. I am totally within my rights to create a hand-knit woolen doll that looks like a snow monster and call it the "Yeti" doll. However, I can not create a new beer cooler and call it the "Yeti" cooler without infringing upon an established trademark.

Does he claim copyright because someone uses "bitcoin" or "penny" or does he claim copyright because someone uses both and added Nasty between it?

It's trademark infringement "because someone uses both and added Nasty between it."

In court, the question would be asked, "Would the average, reasonable consumer expect that the 'Bitcoin NastyPenny™' was affiliated with 'Bitcoin Penny™'?" If the answer is "yes," then it's trademark infringement. That's the whole reason for trademark law--to protect unknowing consumers from purchasing a service or product from one person/business while thinking it was affiliated with a different person/business. That's why they invented trademarks, to differentiate the service or product of one business from the service or product from another business. It's really very simple.

In this particular case, it boils down to the above question: "Would the average, reasonable consumer expect that the 'Bitcoin NastyPenny™' was affiliated with 'Bitcoin Penny™'?"

If the answer is "yes," then it's trademark infringement. If the answer is "no," then it's not trademark infringement.

Personally, I believe the answer is "yes." However, since we're not taking this to court, then it's really a moot point.

Regards,
Me

PS -- To play devil's advocate (because I find doing so exercises the mind), one might attempt to argue on OgNasty's behalf that the use of "Bitcoin NastyPenny™" should be allowable via protected parody laws. It may be a stretch to consider the product as a legally-defined parody, but it's worth considering as a possible exemption from trademark infringement.
The answer is no because bitcoin and penney are common words now.  Also, a trademark can be invalid even if it was issued a while back.  If the term becomes common, anyone in dispute could file a petition to cancel that trademark.
BitcoinPenny
aka CJBianco
Legendary

Activity: 2662
Merit: 2203

BitcoinPenny.com

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2018, 08:30:22 PM

The answer is no because bitcoin and penney are common words now.  Also, a trademark can be invalid even if it was issued a while back.  If the term becomes common, anyone in dispute could file a petition to cancel that trademark.

"International" is a common word. "Business" is a common word. "Machines" is a common word. Try starting a computer company called "International Business Machines," and see how that works out for you. Wink

Regards,
Chris

BitcoinPenny.com | "When it comes to bitcoin swag, we make perfect CENTS!"
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 08:58:47 PM

This post should not be construed as legal advice.

Based upon my review of relivant law, and the facts surrounding the sale of OgNasty’s “bitcoin NastyPenny” I would say the case for trademark infringement is far from an open and shut case.

The standard for infringement appears to be if the use of a trademark (or something very similar to a trademark) is likely to cause confusion to a consumer.  One important fact is that OgNasty was in fact selling a product named in the trademark with additional “features”.

Although not pertinent to the legal evualation of the situation, bitcoinpenny did post that OgNasty’s sale of the coins were seen positively by what is essentially a portion of his customer base. I would suggest that he at least make an evualation as to if OgNasty’s specific use of bitcoin and penny have a net positive impact on his business— if so he should consent to the limited use of his trademark, making the question of infringement moot.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 09:10:23 PM

"International" is a common word. "Business" is a common word. "Machines" is a common word. Try starting a computer company called "International Business Machines," and see how that works out for you. Wink

Regards,
Chris
That is invalid argument.  There are classes of trademarks called “famous” IBM is one of them.  You don’t have a famous trademark here. IBM, Coke, xerox, MasterCard, visa etc etc.. are examples of famous trademarks.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2018, 09:15:08 PM

Ignoring wannabe intertubes lawyers for a minute, what exactly is Og trying to achieve here? It looks like even if there was some talk about cooperation with BitcoinPenny in the past - that's no longer in effect. I can't imagine it's good for Og's business to have this kind of dispute hanging over it. So what's the benefit for Og to keep being a stubborn asshole about it?

I spent like two hours reading various Og-themed threads and I feel dumber now. Help me out here.
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 09:18:45 PM

Ignoring wannabe intertubes lawyers for a minute, what exactly is Og trying to achieve here? It looks like even if there was some talk about cooperation with BitcoinPenny in the past - that's no longer in effect. I can't imagine it's good for Og's business to have this kind of dispute hanging over it. So what's the benefit for Og to keep being a stubborn asshole about it?

I spent like two hours reading various Og-themed threads and I feel dumber now. Help me out here.

Because he can never admit when he's wrong, or out of line, so he just lies and obfuscates. You saw my thread right? He still won't answer whether or not he wrote that PM i have screenshot of... I just assume that whenever he just gives up like this, he knows he has lost and moves on. Kinda like our buddy Quicksy...

Picture a green Donald Trump, and there is your Ognasty.

Cheesy

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2018, 09:36:59 PM

Because he can never admit when he's wrong, or out of line, so he just lies and obfuscates. You saw my thread right? He still won't answer whether or not he wrote that PM i have screenshot of... I just assume that whenever he just gives up like this, he knows he has lost and moves on. Kinda like our buddy Quicksy...

Cheesy

I read your thread and a half-dozen other threads and I can't say that I'm any closer to understanding the rationale of Og's behavior. Maybe I shouldn't even try.
TMAN (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808

Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2018, 09:41:40 PM

Cheesy

I read your thread and a half-dozen other threads and I can't say that I'm any closer to understanding the rationale of Og's behavior. Maybe I shouldn't even try.

You can't, I believe you are Inteligent and can admit when you are wrong. OG is dumb and will always fight even if he is obviously wrong

███████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
██████████████████████████
.FORTUNEJACK   JOIN INVINCIBLE JACKMATE AND WIN......10 BTC........
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀██████
█████  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄  █████
█████  █████ █████  █████
█████  ██▄     ▄██  █████
█████  ████   ████  █████
█████▄  ██▄▄█▄▄██  ▄█████
██████▄  ███████  ▄██████
███████▄   ▀▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▄▄ ▄▄██████████
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 10:02:41 PM

Cheesy

You can't, I believe you are Inteligent and can admit when you are wrong. OG is dumb and will always fight even if he is obviously wrong

This, exactly... I also believe most of us here are not insane narcissists exhibiting paranoid/delusional behavior.   Roll Eyes

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
game-protect

Activity: 1344
Merit: 507

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 11:32:20 PM

I would like to see the registration of the Bitcoin NastyPenny™?
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 11:34:40 PM

® means there is a registered trademark....TM means a trademark is claimed...
game-protect

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 12:20:23 AM

Wikipedia says: Use of the trademark symbol (™) indicates an assertion that a word, image, or other sign is a trademark;

Do you mean OgNasty requested it to become a trademark? If so, where?

TMAN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2018, 06:14:59 AM

Why do you blindly support OG in every thread? Do you not think he could be wrong even once? It's like rowing with the Mrs with you two, perfection and never putting a foot wrong?

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 06:44:45 AM

Wikipedia says: Use of the trademark symbol (™) indicates an assertion that a word, image, or other sign is a trademark;

I would advise that you read up on trademark law.
TMAN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2018, 08:20:39 AM

Why do you blindly support OG in every thread? Do you not think he could be wrong even once? It's like rowing with the Mrs with you two, perfection and never putting a foot wrong?

cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 10:26:09 AM

NastyDynasty™

QuickNasty the slob cum of balding grown affected with kwashiorkor.
game-protect

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 12:54:59 PM

I would advise that you read up on trademark law.
I just want to know where OgNasty claimed / requested to let Bitcoin NastyPenny™ become a trademark? In San Diego?

If he did not make an official claim or request, based on what circumstances or laws has he the right to claim that Bitcoin NastyPenny™ is a trademark?
ab8989

Activity: 209
Merit: 101

FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2018, 01:57:10 PM
Merited by OgNasty (1)

I have searched for these trademarks on both www.tmdn.org and tmsearch.uspto.gov and it seems pretty clear that neither bitcoinpenny nor nastypenny are registered trademarks and there is not even an application for a trademark. I know how an application for trademark looks like on these search websites and there is none of those.

To me it seems that penny is such a common word that nobody can claim owning all possible <word>penny combinations like Bitcoinpenny seems to claim to own. To me it looks like this is an issue that is possible to have differing opinions and who is right can only be settled in court if somebody wants to take it that far but I would not hold my breath since nobody has spent even a much smaller amount of money to file for the trademark.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: