Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:55:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about useless ledger wallet  (Read 139 times)
mohini (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 02:10:51 PM

I have a ledger nano s purchased around Christmas. I bought it from ledgerwallet.com which was the cheapest one, possibly not the best one to buy from. It was postcoded as coming from France.

Well they do not have a phone number and their emailed support takes 10 working days. With the help I got so far from them I cannot use this device which is probably defective or needs some technical adjustments. The thing is I have no way of sorting this out.

I am perfectly capable of following videos and text instructions
But sometimes the instructions do not match the error/situation you see before your eyes
Ledger offers no complete and comprehensive user manual like you would get with any phone or laptop and this seems to partly
be a word of mouth thing with no mouth to help me till doomsday

The problem after purchase was there was no firmware and no button to install the same after you were going through the instructions
in the user guide, so at that point I had to stop the progress. support@ LedgerWallet.com said all was well if no firmware is visible, showing
system is set up and ready to go-you need do nothing. But now there is a new firmware version 1.4 with the button "Install" appearing

When I tried to install the firmware,  the ledger panel on the laptop kept disconnecting and asking to connect the ledger.   See
https://prnt.sc/itak3l

I have to take the ledger nano s out and reconnect it, but got the message(on the ledger)
The MCU software is outdated.
The device MCU must be updated using the ledger manager app. Press and hold 5 secs the button close to the USB when you plug in. Update is mandatory. Press buttons to restart

After some time there was a message "Bootloader" showing on the device like it was frozen
Now the ledger manager said it was updating the ledger, which is now frozen with the word "update"

This device does not work, and nobody will help me and I have given up

Can someone buy this ledger off me at 50% cost price, I will give you my purchase invoice
I assume you know how to fix it and can use it
I have no one to help me and little money so it will be yours for a steal.  All you have to do is ask

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sud

Activity: 826
Merit: 301

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 03:55:54 PM

You never buy used hardware wallets, it's not secure! Seriously, only buy Ledger, Trezor, Keepkey, etc. from official channels or you may end up with compromised device.

You should try to reset your Ledger and maybe use different cable to connect it to computer.
Swinging Phallus

Activity: 266
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 06:20:53 AM
Merited by NeuroticFish (1)

I have a ledger nano s purchased around Christmas. I bought it from ledgerwallet.com which was the cheapest one, possibly not the best one to buy from. It was postcoded as coming from France.

Well they do not have a phone number and their emailed support takes 10 working days. With the help I got so far from them I cannot use this device which is probably defective or needs some technical adjustments. The thing is I have no way of sorting this out.

I am perfectly capable of following videos and text instructions
But sometimes the instructions do not match the error/situation you see before your eyes
Ledger offers no complete and comprehensive user manual like you would get with any phone or laptop and this seems to partly
be a word of mouth thing with no mouth to help me till doomsday

The problem after purchase was there was no firmware and no button to install the same after you were going through the instructions
in the user guide, so at that point I had to stop the progress. support@ LedgerWallet.com said all was well if no firmware is visible, showing
system is set up and ready to go-you need do nothing. But now there is a new firmware version 1.4 with the button "Install" appearing

When I tried to install the firmware,  the ledger panel on the laptop kept disconnecting and asking to connect the ledger.   See
https://prnt.sc/itak3l

I have to take the ledger nano s out and reconnect it, but got the message(on the ledger)
The MCU software is outdated.
The device MCU must be updated using the ledger manager app. Press and hold 5 secs the button close to the USB when you plug in. Update is mandatory. Press buttons to restart

After some time there was a message "Bootloader" showing on the device like it was frozen
Now the ledger manager said it was updating the ledger, which is now frozen with the word "update"

This device does not work, and nobody will help me and I have given up

Can someone buy this ledger off me at 50% cost price, I will give you my purchase invoice
I assume you know how to fix it and can use it
I have no one to help me and little money so it will be yours for a steal.  All you have to do is ask

I had this same issue when I was updating my nano, Go to device manager and find any USB devices with a yellow triangle and update drivers. Then re do the MCU update and you shouldnt be stuck on update, There is a whole reddit thread of people having this same issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ledgerwallet/comments/84ijha/solution_for_ledger_nano_s_stuck_on_update_while/
mohini (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 07:37:54 PM

You never buy used hardware wallets, it's not secure! Seriously, only buy Ledger, Trezor, Keepkey, etc. from official channels or you may end up with compromised device.

You should try to reset your Ledger and maybe use different cable to connect it to computer.

THANK YOU SUD Much appreciated Smiley Smiley
mohini (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 07:43:59 PM

Thanks so much, Swinging Phallus. I think with both of you giving me help
I should certainly be able to work it out Kiss Kiss
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: