Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:01:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: how to prepare for summer?  (Read 999 times)
aarigs (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 03:09:39 PM

Hi,
I get temperatures of my GPU's from 55-75 °Celsius and we have still  winter (outside 0 and inside 22 °C).

How to prepare for summer (outside 35-35  °C, inside 27-29°C without air con),
how am I going to cool this stuff and not to spend too much money?

How are you going to cool it?

Thanks for suggestions.

gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 03:16:54 PM

Hi,
I get temperatures of my GPU's from 55-75 °Celsius and we have still  winter (outside 0 and inside 22 °C).

Thanks for suggestions.

You're going to have to circulate the air in the room at a high rate.  My mining room is an upstairs bedroom.  I'm bringing air in from the outside with this fan ...

http://www.airkinglimited.com/page/window-fan.html

And I'm going to exhaust into my attic with this fan ...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/QuietCool-Classic-CL-3100-Advanced-Direct-Drive-Whole-House-Fan-with-Dampers-QC-CL-3100/206047343

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
nerdralph

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 03:22:58 PM

Hi,

Thanks for suggestions.

Last summer I shut down my mining rigs.  For the summer of 2016, there was decent money to be made on ETH mining, so I moved my rigs to the garage.
whoismoses

Activity: 247
Merit: 59

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 03:31:48 PM

If you can't come up with something that will work... One thing you can do is take pictures of your gpus to sell on ebay or craigslist. I do expect the markets to be flooded with people who can't handle the heat.

@gotminer - Be careful about exhausting into your attic, especially when the summer is over and you move into winter. What will happen in the winter is all of the humidity that you exhaust into the attic will freeze, accumulate ice and then when it gets warm it will all melt and you will have water spots on your ceiling and possible mold...
gotminer

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 03:48:58 PM

If you can't come up with something that will work... One thing you can do is take pictures of your gpus to sell on ebay or craigslist. I do expect the markets to be flooded with people who can't handle the heat.

@gotminer - Be careful about exhausting into your attic, especially when the summer is over and you move into winter. What will happen in the winter is all of the humidity that you exhaust into the attic will freeze, accumulate ice and then when it gets warm it will all melt and you will have water spots on your ceiling and possible mold...

Yeah I've thought about that a little.  Might be a better idea to exhaust through the attic to the outside.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
aarigs (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 04:56:59 PM

Ok, ok, 1000$ seems to me to much for something that just moves air and given that I can potentially make maybe 1000$ per month (given difficulty etc).

1. Circulation of air
I have to circulate  air that is ideally much colder than my GPU's temp.
Ideally I do not want to use to much for fan's and too much electricity ...

How to do it in my flat is questionable ... got french windows.
Once I open windows, doors , temperature inside and outside is going to be the same.

So that there is no difference when I do it on balcony (north/east side) or inside?
Then I have to protect it against occasional showers  Undecided.

2. Air-con
If I buy air-con I guess it would not make sense to circulate air and cost of additional 1-2kW could quite damage profitability... 

That I have to calculate because I currently use cca. 2.7kW/h, that would be 40-100% increase in electricity consumption.
(I wish electricity was free ... somehow  Smiley )

3. Any other ideas?

Palmerson

Activity: 434
Merit: 255

Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 05:16:53 PM

In summer, you will need to disable dual mining mode. You will also need to adjust the down volt mode. All this will allow you to reduce the temperature by 10-15 degrees. You also need to think about the circulation of air in the room. To enhance the effect, I additionally use a large floor fan. I even mined in the summer of dcr but this coin is no longer profitable to mine even in the winter.

▄▄██▄▄
       ▄▄███▀  ▀███▄▄
   ▄▄███▀▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀██▄
██▀  ▄▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄▄  ▀██
██▄ ██▀              ▀██  ██
▀▀████▄▄▄             ██  ██
▄   ██▀▀▀████▄▄▄      ▀▀████
██  ██       ▀▀▀███▄▄▄     ▀
██  ██             ▀▀▀███▄▄▄
██  ██▄▄            ▄▄██ ▀██
██▄   ▀▀██▄      ▄██▀▀   ▄██
▀███▄    ▀██▄▄██▀    ▄███▀
    ▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀
        ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀██▀▀

♡   Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency   ♡
██Discord  |  Twitter  |  Medium  |  Youtube  |  Bitcointalk  |  Github██

▄▄██▄▄
       ▄▄███▀  ▀███▄▄
   ▄▄███▀▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀██▄
██▀  ▄▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄▄  ▀██
██▄ ██▀              ▀██  ██
▀▀████▄▄▄             ██  ██
▄   ██▀▀▀████▄▄▄      ▀▀████
██  ██       ▀▀▀███▄▄▄     ▀
██  ██             ▀▀▀███▄▄▄
██  ██▄▄            ▄▄██ ▀██
██▄   ▀▀██▄      ▄██▀▀   ▄██
▀███▄    ▀██▄▄██▀    ▄███▀
    ▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀
        ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀██▀▀
whoismoses

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 06:07:44 PM

Ok, ok, 1000$ seems to me to much for something that just moves air and given that I can potentially make maybe 1000$ per month (given difficulty etc).

1. Circulation of air
I have to circulate  air that is ideally much colder than my GPU's temp.
Ideally I do not want to use to much for fan's and too much electricity ...

How to do it in my flat is questionable ... got french windows.
Once I open windows, doors , temperature inside and outside is going to be the same.

So that there is no difference when I do it on balcony (north/east side) or inside?
Then I have to protect it against occasional showers  Undecided.

2. Air-con
If I buy air-con I guess it would not make sense to circulate air and cost of additional 1-2kW could quite damage profitability... 

That I have to calculate because I currently use cca. 2.7kW/h, that would be 40-100% increase in electricity consumption.
(I wish electricity was free ... somehow  Smiley )

3. Any other ideas?

It doesn't really matter what the temperature is outside. If you have your rigs in a closed room with no circulation the temperature is going to snowball and get too hot. If you are pulling air out of the room say at 3000 CFM (and replenishing with new air) from outside that is 95F / 35C it will help keep the room closer to 95F / 35C.

For example, I have a ton of GPU rigs. Last summer on a 95F day, I turned off the air circulation (to fix something) and just left the windows open. The room quickly went from 100F to 115F in about 30 minutes, it would have kept climbing if I didn't circulate the air again. Your GPUs can handle hot room temps, just imaging how hot they are inside a computer case. However, if you do not have a way to remove the heat from your house / apartment you place will get too hot for you and then eventually your rigs (though they can handle the heat better than you can). Your AC won't help. It is not designed to cool on this level unless you only have 1-12 (or so) GPUs...
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 06:10:08 PM

Unless you cohabit in the same room as your rigs just open the windows and put an intake and exhaust fan.

GPUs can live in a hot environment. 40-45C is no problem.

Summer is only an issue if you are sleeping in the same room as you are mining.
gotminer

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 06:27:59 PM

Something else to consider on air circulation.  This wasn't something that I was even thinking about until Phillip pointed it out to me.  Your exhaust needs to be higher than your intake and they shouldn't be on the same wall.  That's exactly why I'm going to use the window or both windows in my mining room for intake and exhaust through the ceiling.

Also, the air that you are circulating does not need to be cooler than your gpu temps.

whoismoses

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 06:34:40 PM

Your exhaust needs to be higher than your intake...

There is a huge downside to this. If your are pulling air out of your mining room faster than you can pull it in the intake you will create a vacuum in a perfectly sealed room. That said, I'm sure you don't have a perfectly sealed room. So what will really happen is you will begin pulling cold air from the rest of your house / apartment leading to increased cooling (or heating in the winter) bills.

I suggest you seal off the room as much as you can and equalize it.

I am not an expert, but I can tell you that you will increase your cooling / heating bills if you pull out more air than you can pull in (when you don't have a sealed room).

In a sealed grow tent, pulling out more than you bring in is just fine...
gotminer

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 06:51:14 PM

Your exhaust needs to be higher than your intake...

There is a huge downside to this. If your are pulling air out of your mining room faster than you can pull it in the intake you will create a vacuum in a perfectly sealed room. That said, I'm sure you don't have a perfectly sealed room. So what will really happen is you will begin pulling cold air from the rest of your house / apartment leading to increased cooling (or heating in the winter) bills.

I suggest you seal off the room as much as you can and equalize it.

I am not an expert, but I can tell you that you will increase your cooling / heating bills if you pull out more air than you can pull in (when you don't have a sealed room).

In a sealed grow tent, pulling out more than you bring in is just fine...

Not saying that they are and I'm really not sure how to test it, but just going by fan specs, the intake is 3120cfm and the exhaust is 3190cfm, so it's only a difference of 90cfm.  I'm not sure what that would do in terms of extra heating or cooling costs.

I can cover the ceiling vent and stick a towel or something under the door, but I'm not sure what more I could do to seal it off any better than that.

Futnuck

Activity: 29

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 08:10:38 PM

I put the miners in the garage and bought two of these from Home Depot for a total of four vents. I have two garage doors side by side and it worked very well last year.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/WindeeVent-2-75-in-x-12-in-x-17-5-in-Aluminum-Garage-Door-Vent-2-Pack-WV1001W/205911851

Check this link and scroll down for example of a door
https://windeevent.com/about/hoa/

On the top vents i tightened the ends of bungie straps on four of the bolts to hold this fan with the stands removed blowing outward.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-12-in-3-Speed-Whole-Room-Circulator-Floor-Fan-HT908/203684186?MERCH=REC-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-203684186-_-N

So essentially the hot air was blowing out at the top of the door and the cool air was pulled in from the bottom.

pickleburglar

Activity: 70

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 08:33:50 PM

Last summer while my farm was still in my home I used some basic €10 room fans + cardboard boxes to make air shafts and deliver cool air from the window right at the intakes of the cards.

Was actually pretty effective, the hottest cards (sapphire 1 fan 570's) saw a dramatic improvement from being thermal throttled at 80C down to ~70C. Well that was when dual mining was still profitable, doing just eth they would hover at around 65C.

This summer I don't expect much trouble, I've moved my farm to a much larger space and arranged them on new racks designed for vertical ventilation... with more cardboard air shafts!  Grin
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 09:29:01 PM

I put the miners in the garage and bought two of these from Home Depot for a total of four vents. I have two garage doors side by side and it worked very well last year.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/WindeeVent-2-75-in-x-12-in-x-17-5-in-Aluminum-Garage-Door-Vent-2-Pack-WV1001W/205911851

Check this link and scroll down for example of a door
https://windeevent.com/about/hoa/

On the top vents i tightened the ends of bungie straps on four of the bolts to hold this fan with the stands removed blowing outward.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-12-in-3-Speed-Whole-Room-Circulator-Floor-Fan-HT908/203684186?MERCH=REC-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-203684186-_-N

So essentially the hot air was blowing out at the top of the door and the cool air was pulled in from the bottom.

how many miners do you have
BaNgTHai

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 09:31:08 PM

Ok lets say that I have a big garage with 7 windows, big garage door and a normal door. If i where to make a tunnel from one window to another but use insulation styrofoam as the walls of the tunnel do you think the walls would make it hotter than it should be? Maybe I should go with plywood?
NateDoggETH

Activity: 76
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 09:40:15 PM

I installed 2 attic fans inside my shed windows. one is 1650 cfm sucking the hot air from behind my rigs and the other is 1300 cfm sucking from the side window. 900 cfm also sucking out the ceiling the ducting leading to miners.

have holes in the floors for intake

texas so far has been 80-90F and my cards have been 40-60C range. Just installed the 1300 cfm fan today so those temps can go lower. massive window tunnel going on in there.

https://i.imgur.com/fki3f08.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/x4dpGug.jpg

NateDoggETH

Activity: 76
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 09:44:12 PM

Ok lets say that I have a big garage with 7 windows, big garage door and a normal door. If i where to make a tunnel from one window to another but use insulation styrofoam as the walls of the tunnel do you think the walls would make it hotter than it should be? Maybe I should go with plywood?

have as much of an exhaust fan as you can get (in my opinion, there is not overkill here) and put that on the highest window of the garage leading out. now you just need to know where you are going to be getting your "cooler" air from and build walls on each side for the tunnel. as long as you exhaust your hot air faster, you are set.
BaNgTHai

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 09:50:59 PM

have as much of an exhaust fan as you can get (in my opinion, there is not overkill here) and put that on the highest window of the garage leading out. now you just need to know where you are going to be getting your "cooler" air from and build walls on each side for the tunnel. as long as you exhaust your hot air faster, you are set.

I have two windows directly facing each other and have two 2500cfm fans (one intake, one exhaust) curretly the window fans are not sealed up and sit about 8" infront of the window. Ideally everthing should be sealed from one window to another (the tunnel) along with the window fans right?
aarigs (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 12:38:35 AM

In summer, you will need to disable dual mining mode. You will also need to adjust the down volt mode. All this will allow you to reduce the temperature by 10-15 degrees. You also need to think about the circulation of air in the room. To enhance the effect, I additionally use a large floor fan. I even mined in the summer of dcr but this coin is no longer profitable to mine even in the winter.

I change power to 74% +/-5% and this already decreases temp.
However, I did not play with voltage as I considered it dangerous and do not have idea how to approach it.
Maybe, it is going to necessary as heat is produces as change in voltage so lower voltage should mean less consumption and less heat.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: