Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 11:13:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Completely Anonymous BTC Wallet  (Read 1320 times)
Novalok (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 12:38:13 PM

How would one go about getting BTC in a wallet with 0 traces back? Completely anonymous.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 12:55:37 PM

Bitcoin is not anonymous, every Bitcoin-Qt client has a database of every Bitcoin transaction, ever made.

Some people try to obfuscate their transactions my having multiple wallet addresses but theres always going to a trail of money flow.

Novalok (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 01:03:22 PM

Has nothing to do with theft. Thanks for being a dick.
And i understand how bitcoin-qt works.

I am looking for a way to have a wallet, that cant trace back to a person.

So far the best way i know is to send cash to someone and have them send you a Private key.

It will trace to someone, but not the person using it.
DennisD7

Activity: 131

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 02:07:09 PM

I think mining does the trick, right?

Even if you use a pool it should be pretty possible to stay anonymous.

Proud ASIC miner and long term Bitcoin investor
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 02:18:31 PM

So far the best way i know is to send cash to someone and have them send you a Private key.

are you going to send that cash through the post? or hand it to someone in view of CCTV?

...if you have to ask the question, you're probably going to get tracked.
RaTTuS

Activity: 792

Bite me

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 02:27:00 PM

mine it ...
either directly or via a mining pool

In the Beginning there was CPU , then GPU , then FPGA then ASIC, what next I hear to ask ....

1RaTTuSEN7jJUDiW1EGogHwtek7g9BiEn
Novalok (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 02:33:03 PM

Cash through the post isn't as trackable as one thinks, as well as Hand to Hand with CCTV also isnt a huge deal.
Dealer

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 02:33:09 PM

There are many, many topics and posts about this subject. Google for it or just search on this forum..
waltermot321

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 02:33:15 PM

No you can't steal money without a trace, that's probably what you're asking.

This, but even if you trace it you can't do anything...

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 02:36:34 PM

Use a different address for every transaction.
Don't reuse old addresses.
Don't use addresses on forums or sites where they can be used to identify you.
Watch out for transactions between addresses that could link them together.
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 02:38:09 PM

Cash through the post isn't as trackable as one thinks, as well as Hand to Hand with CCTV also isnt a huge deal.

oh sorry i thought you said completely anonymous with 0 traces back

carry on...
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 02:40:13 PM

Bitcoin is pseudonymous, not anonymous. You can't hide the transactions,m but you can hide WHO is doing the transactions.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4669

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 04:22:10 PM

It will trace to someone, but not the person using it.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "not trace to the person using it", but I think you are mistaken.

Apparently the definition of "Completely" that you use is different than the definition of "Completely" that I use.
hayek

Activity: 370
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 04:51:21 PM

So you're interested in how transactions work.

Bitcoin balances are organized by txIn and txOut. txOut is a balance waiting to be spent. txIn is a reference to a txOut.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transactions
Novalok (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 06:05:12 PM

Complete anon can be achieved via Post or Hand to Hand.

Say i contact someone, send my public PGP key. in which the recipient sends me his Public key encrypted with mine. From which i not only send a new Public Key specific to this person but ask for an address to send $$$ for btc. He send me back a reply using the new key. I get the address and use a service to make untrackable the orgin of the post to the receiver. He recieved my $$ and a Bitcoin Address which is to an Offline wallet. He sends the BTC and contacts me with the transaction ID.

If i did everything correctly, I would have BTC in a cold wallet stored offline. I would nuke the Email accounts and PGP Keys. Which were only stored in a truecrypt volume inwhich is used DoD data wipe to destory. Or for more security only stored on a truecrypt volume on a CD which was then blended or otherwise destroyed.

Now for some reason someone attempts to Track me. Worse case senario. The sender gets contacted in which he trys to trace to me, unable to do so due to getting contacted on a forum by a person who never connected with his own IP, and Covered his tracks as he must to do something like this.

The possibility of someone tracing back to the purchaser is near impossible.

Also while this is all hypothetical. I would like it to be known that while i would like to go through a process simular, I connect to Bitcoin Talk via my Personal IP address and have no plans of doing anything Illegal* and this is for knowledge. I just want to know if this is overkill when a simular process is more easily achieved.

*When i say illegal i mean to the point of being traced for your actions. I will gladly admit i have done some things that are white and Black. AkA Filesharing etc
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 06:20:20 PM

Complete anon can be achieved via Post or Hand to Hand.

Again with that very odd definition of "Completely".

Say i contact someone,

Then you are no longer "Completely" anonymous.

send my public PGP key.

Again a loss of anonymity.

use a service to make untrackable the orgin of the post to the receiver.

Good luck with that.

I would nuke the Email accounts and PGP Keys.

How exactly to you intend to eliminate any and every trace of the email address from any and every server that communications passed through?

getting contacted on a forum by a person who never connected with his own IP, and Covered his tracks as he must to do something like this.

Just how sure are you that your forum identity has never been and will never be connected to your IP address, your name, and/or any other information that can reduce the pool of potential candidates?

The possibility of someone tracing back to the purchaser is near impossible.

If you put in the effort and don't make any mistakes, it is possible to maintain near perfect anonymity with bitcoin transaction.  It is not easy, and mistakes or violated trust would be two of the biggest issues you'd have to be concerned about.

Also while this is all hypothetical. I would like it to be known that while i would like to go through a process simular, I connect to Bitcoin Talk via my Personal IP address and have no plans of doing anything Illegal* and this is for knowledge. I just want to know if this is overkill when a simular process is more easily achieved.

Sure.

Send cash in an envelope to my public P.O. BOX address.  Include a bitcoin address from an offline paper wallet in the envelope.  I'll keep 10% as a service fee and exchange the rest at the MtGox exchange rate at the time I receive the envelope.

As long as you can send the envelope in such a way that it can never be traced back to your identity, your anonymity will be secure until you try to spend the bitcoins.
Novalok (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 08:33:04 PM

sadly as much as i'd like to take you on on that offer, i as Novalok will never do a purchase like that and if i were to do so, you posting in my thread already pretty much kills the possibility.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 08:38:10 PM

sadly as much as i'd like to take you on on that offer, i as Novalok will never do a purchase like that and if i were to do so, you posting in my thread already pretty much kills the possibility.

Nah.  Your thread is publicly accessible.

The offer is open to anyone and everyone that sees it.

You have complete plausible deny-ability.

There are a few million (billion?) internet users who are all able to see the offer I just made.

If an envelope were to show up in my mail box with cash and a bitcoin address, how would I (or anyone else) know which of the world's population actually sent it?

(I mean other than finger prints on the envelope, postmark indicating general area mailed from, DNA if the stamp or envelope flap was licked, hand writing analysis, and tracking where the bitcoins go when they are spent later).
Novalok (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 08:44:01 PM

(I mean other than finger prints on the envelope, postmark indicating general area mailed from, DNA if the stamp or envelope flap was licked, hand writing analysis, and tracking where the bitcoins go when they are spent later).

This will be fun Smiley
Code:
I mean other than finger prints on the envelope
Gloves.
Code:
postmark indicating general area mailed from
Use your imagination but easily "spoofed"
Code:
DNA if the stamp or envelope flap was licked
Print/Tape etc
Code:
hand writing analysis
Print or hell typewrite.

and if you do all that right who cares about tracking
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 09:45:44 PM

and if you do all that right who cares about tracking

Certainly. 

The point is that there's a lot to think about if someone wants to be "Completely Anonymous".  If you miss even one tiny detail, it can lead to accidentally revealing something that narrows the search for your identity.

In the end, it depends a lot on who you're hiding from, what resources they have, and what measures they are willing and able to take in their attempt to uncover your identity.

In most cases, the method I described will be sufficient as long as people trust me to actually send the bitcoins.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: