Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:46:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many kWh are you using a month?  (Read 5427 times)
Big Time Coin

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 04:21:30 AM

They want me to call the business solutions dept.  problem is the "small general" service is not to exceed 10 kw of demand, which I do exceed.  "primary general" requires a 12.5 kV or higher supply.  Mine is 240 V = .24 kV at 200 amps, so that is way out of my league.  I think I fit into the Large Municipal and School Service, but I'm just going to have to check with the power company...

Is anyone getting MORE than 240 V x 200 AMP to a single residential meter?

Big time, I'm on my way I'm making it, big time, oh yes
- Peter Gabriel

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 04:28:30 AM

They want me to call the business solutions dept.  problem is the "small general" service is not to exceed 10 kw of demand, which I do exceed.  "primary general" requires a 12.5 kV or higher supply.  Mine is 240 V = .24 kV at 200 amps, so that is way out of my league.  I think I fit into the Large Municipal and School Service, but I'm just going to have to check with the power company...

Is anyone getting MORE than 240 V x 200 AMP to a single residential meter?

I receive commercial power at a rented warehouse with three phase 200 amp service. Not sure about getting it out to your house though.
mackminer

Activity: 348
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 02:07:33 PM

I'm using about 4700kW with my 8GH/s setup.

Has anyone thought about renting some space in a datacenter among a few users where electricity is the lowest cost?

Just a thought, I'm not sure how it could be handled operationally...

1BFf3Whvj118A5akc5fHhfLLwxYduMmq1d
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 02:43:08 PM

Has anyone thought about renting some space in a datacenter among a few users where electricity is the lowest cost?

I have spoken with multiple DCs and their biggest problem is the density of power and heat. At 16Kw an hour, they wanted to make me rent 10x the floor space, otherwise they would want me to pay for upgrades to the AC for the rack.

If you go with a normal host, they charge by the 20 amp drop at rates like $259 and that's at 120v which is uneconomical to say the least.

I would be willing to expand my warehouse cooling to accompany more rigs in the server room i have built. I can hold 30 rigs like the ones i have built. There would be upfront costs to upgrade the HVAC and power, but after than I would be willing to split costs (aka make minimal profit) as this would help me lower my overall costs to run the facility.

If multiple people went in, it could be quite advantageous for all parties.
mackminer

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 02:54:50 PM

I have spoken with multiple DCs and their biggest problem is the density of power and heat. At 16Kw an hour, they wanted to make me rent 10x the floor space, otherwise they would want me to pay for upgrades to the AC for the rack.

If you go with a normal host, they charge by the 20 amp drop at rates like $259 and that's at 120v which is uneconomical to say the least.

I would be willing to expand my warehouse cooling to accompany more rigs in the server room i have built. I can hold 30 rigs like the ones i have built. There would be upfront costs to upgrade the HVAC and power, but after than I would be willing to split costs (aka make minimal profit) as this would help me lower my overall costs to run the facility.

I'm based in Europe and would be open to discussion about doing something like this also over here.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 03:07:16 PM

Just curious what part of the country/world are you located?  I have though of renting some cheap warehouse space to expand my far (10GH/s is the limit of what my garage can handle in the summer) but I don't need a lot of space.  Lots of warehouse space near me but most are 5,000, 8,000, 20,000 sq feet which is just way overkill.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 03:21:50 PM

Just curious what part of the country/world are you located?  I have though of renting some cheap warehouse space to expand my far (10GH/s is the limit of what my garage can handle in the summer) but I don't need a lot of space.  Lots of warehouse space near me but most are 5,000, 8,000, 20,000 sq feet which is just way overkill.

I am in Orlando, FL.

I have:

- 800 sqft warehouse with an office I will be using soon and a room with two big racks.
- Fully insulated server room that is 16ft by 9ft. approx 144sqft of space.
- 208v 200 amp three phase service @ .07585/Kw + customer charge, on demand fee and taxes
- 3 ton AC unit which can be upgraded
- security system with 24/7 monitoring of both unauthorized entry and smoke detection. Alarm utilizes wireless tech, it can't be cut off.
- Insurance on the contents of the building which can have additional riders added.

I will be using 18 of the 30 slots once I get some rma cards back.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 03:25:08 PM

I am in Orlando, FL.

I have:

- 800 sqft warehouse with an office I will be using soon and a room with two big racks.
- 208v 200 amp three phase service @ .07585/Kw + customer charge, on demand fee and taxes
- security system with 24/7 monitoring of both unauthorized entry and smoke detection. Alarm utilizes wireless tech, it can't be cut off.
- Insurance on the contents of the building which can have additional riders added.

Very nice setup.  FL is a little too far for me but anyone living locally should consider it. 
mackminer

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 03:31:49 PM

I am in Orlando, FL.

I have:

What are your thoughts on the future of bitcoin?

mackminer

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 05:22:04 PM

You what?

I hope you got your SI units in a tangle there mate... that's going to be rather expensive and require a power station next door.

I've got around 7.5 GH/sec and I'm eating around 4 kW constantly. I'm just about to shut the whole shebang down to flash the BIOS of all the cards to undervolt the GPUs - I've been testing a lower core voltage for weeks now and it seems to work OK, so time to force it on the cards.

4700 kW is 4.7 megawatts. I'm having *real* trouble managing heat, and I'm in the UK and it's nearly November... if your rigs are dissipating megawatts then your house is going to catch fire.

Hee hee. Just taking the piss mate Smiley

But yeah, I've got a 4 figure electricity bill, so have just had EDF Energy turn up to replace my meter and put me on their 20/20 tariff, where half the day and all the weekend is a couple of pence cheaper per kWh. Should save me a hundred quid or so, and another along with the undervolting.

Datacentre rental would be great but my cheap AMD cards crash so damn regularly that I need physical access to reboot them every so often - there's only so much I can do...

Smiley Was beginning to think this fella is abit stupid!! haha. What I wrote is ridiculous though - can you imagine if I was using around 5 megawatts and off single phase!!!!

I switched to the day night meter recently, it's going to save me a couple of hundred every billing cycle (two months here).

Well the idea behind locating many machines together would be that it wouldn't be a normal datacentre - it would be one of us - a bitcoiner! As suggested by gigavps if many people got together and we had a warehouse rental it's possible costs could be reduced...at least worthwhile looking into....like a co operative type setup.....mining pools taken a step further.....

Ideally a location could be selected where the cheapest power is available. Decent stable rigs would be a requirement to house but you would probably need a full time admin there never the less.

nedbert9

Activity: 252

Inactive

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 07:50:50 PM

I'm surprised also.  I called the police and my power company when I started this.  Both were confused.  The police said that they have no way of knowing unless the power company turns me in.  The power company said that they aren't allowed to turn anyone in.  *shrug*.  Apparently I should have just started a pot farm a long time ago (joke).   Grin

I had to shut down some space in my grow op to make room for rigs.  *sighs*  MJ aint what it used to be with all the bath salts going around...

Wink
nedbert9

Activity: 252

Inactive

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 11:06:26 AM

I don't know how the 'land of the free' got like that... but whilst I'm not comfortable with the cost of electricity here in England, and do envy some of the commercial rates available in the USA...

...there's no way on Earth I'd swap my high energy costs for a society where using a significantly larger amount of electricity than your immediate neighbours could result in armed thugs breaking into your home, trashing your front door and killing you if you make the slightest 'incorrect' protest. FFS - and if that anecdote about the 'clumsy cop' was true, then thats truly shocking.

Don't want to get this political, but FFS, that's totalitarian, and beyond all credible 'appropriate reaction'. Regardless of my point of view re: legality of recreational psychoactives, breaking into someone's home with an armed troop needs *serious* justification and judicial oversight. This story is just plain Orwellian.

What's the situation in Texas? IIRC, you're allowed to defend your home and family in Texas, and you're allowed to own decent firearms. If this is the case, and I was a Texan who had his front door kicked off its hinges and a bunch of guys breaking in, I'd be shooting before asking to see their police ID. Would that make me a 'cop killer' and up for the death penalty? Or do cops in Texas behave with more common sense?

FFS. Growing pot plants. What a load of bullshit. If it weren't for crap like this then there wouldn't be so many people poisoning themselves with *hypothetically* similarly-acting 'research chemicals' made at below industrial-grade purity by cheapest-bidder chemical engineering shops in China. So many things are so fucked up the most basic level, it's untrue...  Angry

(rant off - sorry)

Hehe, loved that.

Being from Texas I can say that the situation regarding domicile search warrants is the same as in most places in the US. 
Typically, police announce themselves prior to entering, but in drug raids they do not announce and break in with a bang.  Only do they announce themselves immediately after crossing the threshold.

If you started shooting and killed some cops as they entered, and you miraculously did not die in the process, you would be charged with murder.

But you are correct in that you can kill someone in your domicile IF they 1) are trespassing and 2) are carrying a weapon.  IIRC the govt's position derives from the Castle Doctrine.  Technically the property owner should have to prove that he/she was in imminent danger of bodily harm.  If the trespasser is carrying a weapon the courts typically decide in the property owner's favor.  If it's a cop with a warrant you die or go to jail for a long time.

In other trespass circumstances across the US the law on killing trespassers can vary.  If you are unlucky and unable to show imminent danger of bodily harm you would most likely be charged with 3rd degree murder.  If the trespasser survives then assault w/ deadly weapon and attempted murder.  Though jurys have decided in property owner's favor in a number of cases.

Wisconsin is considering a law that would exempt property owner from liability for any injury caused to a trespasser.  This potentially means that harm or death through passive means (trap) or active means would  not result in a charge.
http://www.brookfieldnow.com/blogs/communityblogs/133998203.html

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: