Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:12:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are bitcoins your dirty little secret?  (Read 5244 times)
tonto (OP)

Activity: 609
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:03:41 PM

And I mean in the context of your close friends/relatives, I don't mean here, since we obviously know you're into bitcoins.

I'm getting at... have you told your friends/family about bitcoins?  Or, like me, do you just avoid doing so because of the weird looks/questions that you're going to get?

Case in point, I told my wife, tried to explain about them, and I got stares, and then, "Have you bought any with our money yet?"   
"No, I just mine them, and it costs a little bit more electricity than normal."  [tonto's note, just a few dollars a month since they're 5770s]
"Well whatever, just don't spend any of our money on them."

And then the other day when I used some to buy a new Corsair case on newegg, she asks, "So how much did this cost again?"
"None, I used bitcoins to buy them."
"Hmmm, so you didn't use any of our money to buy that?"
"Nope."
"oh ok"

And that's all that's ever spoke on it.  So I just avoid it now.  If any of my friends ever tell me (or I overhear them speaking) that they're into bitcoins, I'll tell them, otherwise mum's the word!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
seeARMS @ Bit-Bank
Copper Member

Activity: 62
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2011, 06:06:56 PM

Same thing happens to me.
I've mentioned it a few times to some close friends, and I've gotten nothing but confused stares from the computer-illiterate ones. The computer-literate ones, however, began mining. Smiley
Sannyasi

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2011, 06:07:29 PM

*makes a whipping sound*

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
sequence

Activity: 58

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:10:12 PM

My family and friends support me and my dad for example is in with me but for those who give me blank stares I tell them you will hear more about it soon ( kinda like the "you heard it here first" feeling). 
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:11:22 PM

And this is why my fiancee and I each funnel a bit of our expendable income into separate individual checking accounts each month - I don't want to hear "you spent HOW MUCH on video cards?!?" any more than she wants to hear "How the hell much can a purse cost? It's a f***ing BAG!"

In all seriousness though, my fiancee is into bitcoin as well, and is actually the one who found us investors for my mining operations. I'd still be pushing 300 MH/s if it weren't for her efforts (3 GH/s FTW)

I also carry Zimbabwe Dollars and Yugoslav Dinar in my wallet to help explain inflation and fiat currency to random people. I proselytize about bitcoin a lot.
stick_theman

Activity: 372

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:11:43 PM

LOL @ Tonto.  That's funny!  I told my girlfriend about it and all I got was "change the topic."  Thank god I don't live with her.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:21:10 PM

I'm not mentioning them to family lately for a different reason.
I mentioned them when they were trading a few dollars higher - and a couple of family members insisted I buy some for them.
A bit more rallying and I can mention them again perhaps Wink

I imagine bitcoins could be convenient in a lot of households where someone shares a bank account and/or credit card and would rather not raise unnecessary discussions by using them for online purchases.  

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
tonto (OP)

Activity: 609

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:26:18 PM

I imagine bitcoins could be convenient in a lot of households where someone shares a bank account and/or credit card and would rather not raise unnecessary discussions by using them for online purchases.  

You just described the second reason I got into them Smiley
BitcoinBug

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:35:32 PM

I also carry Zimbabwe Dollars and Yugoslav Dinar in my wallet to help explain inflation and fiat currency to random people. I proselytize about bitcoin a lot.

Me too  Wink
stic.man

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:45:31 PM

I tell everyone I know and everyone always talks to me about them.  They think I'm half crazy aside from the fact I made a sort of retarded amount of money in a short period of time. 

Now the GF and her friend are trying to become bitcoin entrepeneurs, it's pretty great.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:51:53 PM

I have tshirts.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
kookiekrak

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:59:10 PM

i told my gf and my family about bitcoins and how i invested 2.5k into buying mining equipment.

i got yelled at for a few weeks until i showed them the first dwolla transfer for 500$. that shut em up pretty well.

FREE 100 GME if you post your Cryptsy TradeKey on the official GameCoinTalk forums

http://www.gamecointalk.org/index.php?topic=7.msg9#new
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 07:06:30 PM

I think you lost a bit of yourself when you're scared of 'weird looks'...

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
BTCrow

Activity: 243

BTCrow.com

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2011, 07:22:31 PM

I told about bitcoins to a lot of friends and to family members.

Told them about my escrow services and other biz I'm about to start involving only bitcoins.
80% of their first reaction was: are you sure this is legal.

After some more talk they were more interested and wanna join or get more info by themselves.

My wife is happy that I started that project and support me every day. She's fabulous Smiley.

Talking to my little girl that probably she will use bitcoins when she will grow up, but... she's 6 months old lol, so for the moment she only like when I show him the coinedbits.com Bitcoin coin.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 07:43:55 PM

My girlfriend thinks they're cool and she's encouraging of my new hobby/investment... but she has no idea what the ramifications are of these coins.

My sister wants to look into them further, but told me not to mention them until after she passes the bar exam this month. Once passed, she'll start researching and I know she'll be hooked.

My friends are all interested by skeptical. They're waiting to see if others adopt them... they don't want to be first movers.

My father hopes they'll help bring down central banks.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 08:45:36 PM

My sister is not terribly computer literate or interested in computers, but she was able to understand hashes and the block chain concept.  She's interested, but no where near enough to be involved.

I've not had the opportunity to try to explain the principles to my mother and her boyfriend.  I expect that if/when I do, their comprehension and reaction will be the same as my sister's.  I gained some credibility with them by being interested in and invested in PM's since around the time the US went into Iraq.

---

My girlfriend hates the things.  So I take every opportunity to explain to her how Bitcoin is going to make me super rich and how I might even become the king of planet Earth using them and so forth.  Really over-the-top stuff.  Lotsa fun.

---

I'm not aware of any of my immediate co-workers actually buying any.  But we are all computer geeks so the mechanics of how Bitcoin works is not a problem.  We are all interested in economics and politics and society and such.  I'm a bit surprised that more of these people have not gotten interested enough to do some more hands-on testing.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2011, 10:03:09 PM

And this is why my fiancee and I each funnel a bit of our expendable income into separate individual checking accounts each month

I'd like to get married one day but I'm not into sharing everything. No matter how close people are we're still 2 separate people. In my experience sharing without being clear about things is where the arguments starts. Thus, if I do get married I'd like it with a prenup, not to protect my wallet, but to protect the relationship by keeping money out of the relationship.

Does this make sense?

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2011, 10:37:23 PM

My girlfriend bought 4.8 BTC at MtGox for 16.50 US$ (just before the hack) and she's still waiting to sell them higher... Tongue
Torminalis

Activity: 39

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 10:48:30 PM

Your missus is a dream killer.

My boss bought bitcoins.

My GF hopes they make me filthy rich.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2011, 11:05:59 PM

I had looked into Bitcoin back when it was around $1/BTC and thought it was great, tried to mine but it kept giving me errors so I moved on.

Then I read a few articles here and there, read the one about how Bitcoin had gone from pennies to a couple of dollars and how that was a 2000% increase. I tried mining again, it again gave me errors and I moved on.

Then I read an article in June about how it had been worth $10 at the beginning of the month and skyrocketed to $35 before dropping to $20. At that point I knew that I should no longer wait on the sidelines.

I sent out an e-mail to my family telling them that they should seriously check out Bitcoins, as the family geek to the family I was giving them helpful advice, hoping they might invest a little bit and see it go up to $100 or more.

My brother wrote back asking if this was one of those Nigerian scams. I told him a bit about it and he just responded with some Guardian article about how some legislator wanted to ban Bitcoins and how once that was known the price dropped to $17/BTC. I just responded that of course governments will try to make it illegal, it is competition for them. I also mentioned that $17/BTC was up from $10 just a few weeks prior.

My brother-in-law e-mailed me a link to a libertarian talk show that he listens to and said that they talk about Bitcoins once in a while.

I explained to my wife that we needed to get in on Bitcoins now before it goes up any more. She did not understand it but I told her that it would most likely at least double by the end of the year. We have a $35k balloon loan coming up next year and we are racking our brains on how we will pay for it.

I ended up taking $10k from my Roth IRA and buying Bitcoins.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: