Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:53:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The boat is long gone  (Read 8584 times)
fleabag (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:10:34 PM

So lets say that people are just getting into Bitcoin now and are buying 5BTC for $1000.  You say that is not worth it?  Their $1000 investment could easily increase up to $10,000 or even more in the next 4 or 5 years.  Tell me of any stock that has ever had that great of returns!?

It is just a matter of time before people with large amounts of money realize the potential here and jump in to take advantage. 

Sure the early miners scored big time. They took a risk and are already reaping rewards today.  At that time it seemed like a long-shot though.  I think we have even more proof NOW than the miners did back then that Bitcoin is going to work.  So the risk is even less!  There is regulation in place.  There are more stable exchanges to buy and sell.  There are large companies adopting Bitcoin.  There are funds being put into place that will channel hundreds of thousands of dollars into Bitcoin. 

NOW is a fantastic time to buy and $200 per BTC is still super cheap!

Cmon Bitchick there are stocks that go up 10 fold several times a week. TSLA electric car stock has gone from $30 to $180 in 3 months recently.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fleabag (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:11:40 PM

ITT.  OP believes any investment that doesn't turn $200 into millions in a few years = "not worth it".

no I am saying bitcoin boat is gone if you want to get really rich. the early miners are the only ones who are going to make any real money.
MonadTran

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:12:55 PM

You may not get filthy rich in a few years by only investing a couple hundred $, but what are the alternatives, anyway? Hold on to depreciating dollars? Bonds of a state that's about to default? Carry around a safe full of gold and silver, and hope that it won't get confiscated on a border, because you didn't fill out a customs form properly? Investing into companies you have no real knowledge of?
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:16:36 PM

The only people on here that have any chance at making REAL money are the first miners who basically got their coins for pennies.
I know people who got in with BTC in June and have been buying like crazy since.  Amassed a significant amount ... half at $60 and half at about $120 with an average of about $90 .... and right now they've made a ton of money.   It all comes down to how much you spend.   Then how much it goes up.

Do you think an ordinary joe is going to get rich on Apple stock now?
You mean if Apple stock was $200 and eventually $900 ?   Yes ... they'd make tons of money off it.  Same with if they "got in now" with Google and google was currently at $200 ... eventually to hit $900.  But only if they could afford to buy at $200.

If BTC does what they estimate and hits $1,000 ... anyone who buys right now will make a shit ton of money.

UNLESS you have a ton of money to begin with and my point is then mute.
Moot.  Not mute.  I know a few people who have put their life savings in.  They aren't wealthy to start.  But they've got $50,000 ... $60,000 ... $80,000 saved ... and you can bet they'll bank some money if BTC goes from $100 to $200 like it did.

no I am saying bitcoin boat is gone if you want to get really rich. the early miners are the only ones who are going to make any real money.
If someone buys $50,000 worth of BTC at $100 and it eventually hits $1,000 or $10,000 ... that person is going to have $500 million dollars.
You can bet a lot of people out there have $50,000 invested in at least something.  And I know for a fact several people have put $10,000 to $50,000 into BTC.
They're hardly rich.  But they very well could be.

As for those who have 10,000 coins .... thats astronomical.  But yes you can still make 'real money' with BTC.  If you have a little to begin with.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:18:43 PM

ITT.  OP believes any investment that doesn't turn $200 into millions in a few years = "not worth it".

Of all the arguments you could've possibly chosen to discredit Bitcoin, you selected, "You can make money, but don't expect a 100,000% return on your investment?"

Huh
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:21:09 PM

This is not completely true. I know someone who mined 500 bitcoin in 2 days back in 2009 and just deleted his wallet because it worth nothing at that time. Early miners did not automatically became rich quick. Some also sold their bitcoin for almost nothing. (look for that pizza that was bought for 10K bitcoins).
Bitcoin has a lot of potential and those who missed that missed the boat. Same is true for now.

BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:24:06 PM

This is not completely true. I know someone who mined 500 bitcoin in 2 days back in 2009 and just deleted his wallet because it worth nothing at that time. Early miners did not automatically became rich quick. Some also sold their bitcoin for almost nothing. (look for that pizza that was bought for 10K bitcoins).
Bitcoin has a lot of potential and those who missed that missed the boat. Same is true for now.

Makes me wonder how much Bitcoin was lost because it was not worth much in the early days.  That means the value of the ones we hold should be worth even more in the long run correct?

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:24:26 PM

The boat is gone but the ship is coming, time for late adopters to bloom when this gets mainstream.
fleabag (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:27:16 PM

Of all the arguments you could've possibly chosen to discredit Bitcoin, you selected, "You can make money, but don't expect a 100,000% return on your investment?"

Huh

FOR GOD's SAKE. I AM NOT AGAINST BITCOIN!! I AM SAYING THAT THE PEOPLE WHO ARE LOOKING AT MAKING SOME SERIOUS MONEY ARE THE EARLY MINER'S THEY PAYED  FREAKING PENNIES FOR THEIR COINS AND EVERYONE ELSE IS PAYING $50 , $100 OR $200. YOU ALL ARE TOO LATE TO MAKE THE KIND OF MONEY THE MINER'S MADE. THEIR INVESTMENT IS UP 1000000% OR WHATEVER THE PERCENTAGE IS. AND NOW THAT MORE AND MORE AND MORE PEOPLE LEARNING AND BUYING ITS GOING TO BE HARDER AND HARDER TO MAKE THE RETURNS. BECAUSE WHERE THERE IS SERIOUS MONEY BEING MADE, YOU CAN BE SURE AS SHIT PEOPLE WHO REALLY HAVE MONEY OR INFORMATION OR THE RIGHT CONNECTIONS ARE GOING TO MAKE THE $1000'S OR MILLIONS BEFORE YOU!!!!!!!!
Johnny Bitcoinseed

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Johnny Bitcoinseed

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2013, 11:28:55 PM

What makes you think the opportunity is lost?  As bitcoin gains popularity 100x as many people as now may be using it.  This is still the beginning.

Why be jealous of people who took the risks before you even knew about bitcoin?  The pioneers.  They got there first and found alot of the gold that on the surface of the ground and easy pickings.  Great for them.  They put in the time and took the risks before it was anything like established.  It all could have evaporated.

Now that these people have blazed a trail, find a way to get some of that good stuff for yourself.  You have a great advantage they didn't have: you KNOW bitcoins are valuable and likely to be viable for some time to come!

Create a business that accepts bitcoins.  Or work to get money to purchase bitcoins with.

Or you can cry in your milk and do nothing.

Your call.

Sincerely I am, Johnny BitcoinSeed .com
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:35:41 PM

ok so you are trying to argue that bitcoin probably isn't a get rich quick scheme anymore. well yea that's probably true, but it also might not be.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Xer0

Activity: 826

°^°

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:36:59 PM

I know someone who mined 500 bitcoin in 2 days back in 2009 and just deleted his wallet

but he did not jump from a bridge yet, the poor guy?  Cry
BittBurger

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:38:38 PM

Since I know OP didnt read my response above, Ill make it shorter for him:

1)  Its Moot not Mute

2)  BTC is speculated to hit $1,000 .... $10,000 ... $100,000 .... anyone who buys today, in sufficient quantity, will still make millions of dollars.  That's still "real money".

3)  The people you're referring to who have 10,000 BTC ... well thats just astronomical.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
fleabag (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:39:36 PM

What makes you think the opportunity is lost?  As bitcoin gains popularity 100x as many people as now may be using it.  This is still the beginning.

Why be jealous of people who took the risks before you even knew about bitcoin?  The pioneers.  They got there first and found alot of the gold that on the surface of the ground and easy pickings.  Great for them.  Now find a way to get some of that for yourself.

Or don't.
This isnt the beginning. The beginning was back when bitcoins were pennies. I am not jealous. I have missed many boats in my lifetime and I will miss more. The news on Bitcoin is fully disseminated for the people who are even the least bit curious.

ANSWER THIS QUESTION:
Tell me an investment past or present(not a stock) that costs $200 to $5000 less that anyone could buy that made that person a millionaire. The only caveat is that the investment had/has to be a fully disseminated idea that the world knows/knew about. So in other words the person got in AFTER THE FACT and made millions off of their investment.
BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:44:26 PM

Huh

FOR GOD's SAKE. I AM NOT AGAINST BITCOIN!! I AM SAYING THAT THE PEOPLE WHO ARE LOOKING AT MAKING SOME SERIOUS MONEY ARE THE EARLY MINER'S THEY PAYED  FREAKING PENNIES FOR THEIR COINS AND EVERYONE ELSE IS PAYING $50 , $100 OR $200. YOU ALL ARE TOO LATE TO MAKE THE KIND OF MONEY THE MINER'S MADE. THEIR INVESTMENT IS UP 1000000% OR WHATEVER THE PERCENTAGE IS. AND NOW THAT MORE AND MORE AND MORE PEOPLE LEARNING AND BUYING ITS GOING TO BE HARDER AND HARDER TO MAKE THE RETURNS. BECAUSE WHERE THERE IS SERIOUS MONEY BEING MADE, YOU CAN BE SURE AS SHIT PEOPLE WHO REALLY HAVE MONEY OR INFORMATION OR THE RIGHT CONNECTIONS ARE GOING TO MAKE THE $1000'S OR MILLIONS BEFORE YOU!!!!!!!!

What is "Serious money?"
Someone with $10,000 could buy coin today.  The coin could double.  They could sell half and then they will make pure profit off of BTC. Perhaps several hundred thousand if they hold them long enough.  Or, someone with $200 buys one.  Holds it for several years.  It reaches $100,000.  They cash out the $200 initial investment and they still profited $199,800. 

Sure someone could have mined or purchased 10,000 BTC for $10.  That same person could have already sold that coin for a pizza.  It is about seeing an opportunity and using the means we have to take advantage of that.  According to this post there are only 1000 people (or companies) with holdings of BTC over 1000 now https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=316297.0;topicseen That puts anyone with even 10 BTC in a pretty good place if and when this takes off!

I am not worried about those with 1000 coins or 10,000 coins.  They were smart but they were also the biggest risk takers here and they earned that!  I am happy that I am still an early enough adopter to still get on the "boat" you claimed we have all missed.  Only time will tell, but I have a feeling in a year from now someone will post this same thing.

wolverine.ks

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:47:52 PM

no guts, no glory.

to make huge returns, you have to take huge risks. how could something be risky of the idea is already widespread?
that's like saying show me a square with only 3 sides...
fleabag (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:49:21 PM

1)  Its Moot not Mute

2)  BTC is speculated to hit $1,000 .... $10,000 ... $100,000 .... anyone who buys today, in sufficient quantity, will still make millions of dollars.  That's still "real money".

3)  The people you're referring to who have 10,000 BTC ... well thats just astronomical.

NO WAY IS IT GOING TO $10000. IT MAY HIT $1000. BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS HOW MANY COINS CAN YOU BUY RIGHT NOW AT THIS MOMENT? IF YOU CANT BUY 10000 YOU ARE NOT A PLAYER. THE PLAYERS ARE GOING TO MAKE THE MONEY AND THEY ARE HOPING YOU BOTTOM FEEDERS PUT EVERY LAST CENT INTO BITCOINS AND THEY WILL TAKE EVERY CENT FROM YOU.
fleabag (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:51:09 PM

no guts, no glory.

to make huge returns, you have to take huge risks. how could something be risky of the idea is already widespread?
that's like saying show me a square with only 3 sides...

EXACTLY IT IS WIDESPREAD NOW ANSWER THIS QUESTION:
Tell me an investment past or present(not a stock) that costs $200 or less that anyone could buy that made that person a millionaire. The only caveat is that the investment had/has to be a fully disseminated idea that the world knows/knew about. So in other words the person got in AFTER THE FACT and made millions off of a $200 investment.
steelboy

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:53:57 PM

1)  Its Moot not Mute

NO WAY IS IT GOING TO $10000. IT MAY HIT $1000. BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS HOW MANY COINS CAN YOU BUY RIGHT NOW AT THIS MOMENT? IF YOU CANT BUY 10000 YOU ARE NOT A PLAYER. THE PLAYERS ARE GOING TO MAKE THE MONEY AND THEY ARE HOPING YOU BOTTOM FEEDERS PUT EVERY LAST CENT INTO BITCOINS AND THEY WILL TAKE EVERY CENT FROM YOU.

You are talking rubbish and you know you are. Firstly your question is ridiculous, nobody is going to tell you something they can buy for $200 that will make a million because they wouldn't tell you if they did know. Secondly, to say any less than 10000 coins is pointless proves you are trolling. If someone has doubled there money over the course of the last 6 months they are winning. If they had £500, £5000 or £50000 invested they are feeling pretty happy right now. To talk about missing the boat if you didn't make millions is bollocks, most people would feel very very pleased making 20-30% on an investment.

BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:55:25 PM

1)  Its Moot not Mute

Only 1100 people in the world could own 10,000 BTC and that is if no one else in the world even owned 0.1 BTC.

BTW- Not everyone knows about Bitcoin.  I am not sure why you keep saying that.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: