Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:53:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The boat is long gone  (Read 8585 times)
fleabag (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 01:12:11 AM

Come on people you are missing the point. Tell me some success stories of investments where people made a ton of money and the idea was already set in motion? AFTER THE FACT!  You people now missed the boat and the REAL money is long gone. Give me an example of an investment that proves my point wrong. I am not denying the fact that there is money to be made yet. All I am saying is that very rarely are you going to get rich on something that has already happened.

Bought SIRI at $1.85 on 06/07/2012 still riding to todays high of $4.12, plan on selling at ~5ish, didnt have the balls to buy at $.09
Bought FB at $26 have a sell order in at $55, which was almost triggered today, hit a high of $54.76

I would say those are some pretty healthy returns.

CANT USE STOCKS IN THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION. GOOD JOB THOUGH ON THE STOCKS.

Do you like being dumb?

YES I LOVE BEING DUMB. LETS SEE HOW SMART YOU ARE. ANSWER THIS QUESTION SMART ASS

Tell me an INVESTMENT past or present(NOT A STOCK) that costs $200-$5000 that anyone could have bought and then went on to become a millionaire. The only caveat is that the investment had/has to be a fully disseminated idea that the world knows/knew about. So in other words the person got in AFTER THE FACT and made millions off of a $200-$5000 investment.
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 01:19:00 AM

I like this guy.

(And yes, no one's getting X000% ROI on a facebook stock.)
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 01:23:08 AM

Come on people you are missing the point. Tell me some success stories of investments where people made a ton of money and the idea was already set in motion? AFTER THE FACT!  You people now missed the boat and the REAL money is long gone. Give me an example of an investment that proves my point wrong. I am not denying the fact that there is money to be made yet. All I am saying is that very rarely are you going to get rich on something that has already happened.

Bought SIRI at $1.85 on 06/07/2012 still riding to todays high of $4.12, plan on selling at ~5ish, didnt have the balls to buy at $.09
Bought FB at $26 have a sell order in at $55, which was almost triggered today, hit a high of $54.76

CANT USE STOCKS IN THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION. GOOD JOB THOUGH ON THE STOCKS.

Do you like being dumb?

YES I LOVE BEING DUMB. LETS SEE HOW SMART YOU ARE. ANSWER THIS QUESTION SMART ASS

Tell me an INVESTMENT past or present(NOT A STOCK) that costs $200-$5000 that anyone could have bought and then went on to become a millionaire. The only caveat is that the investment had/has to be a fully disseminated idea that the world knows/knew about. So in other words the person got in AFTER THE FACT and made millions off of a $200-$5000 investment.

School?

Edit:  You lose.
sinner

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 01:32:23 AM

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE%3ABRK.A
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 02:25:25 AM

time to sell that shit man. technology moves FAST. siri is going to be as ancient as dated as cassette tapes in a couple of years.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 03:14:34 AM

Back in 2007 a girl at my work shows me the Apple Itouch. I am floored at this thing, the browser touch screen was just amazing. 1st thought was that the app store would be a printing press and that buying Apple stock a total no brainier. BUT NAH I look at the price and see $180 and think I can't own enough stocks @ $180. Todays price: $519

mccoyspace

Activity: 237
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 04:04:20 AM

Back in 2007 a girl at my work shows me the Apple Itouch. I am floored at this thing, the browser touch screen was just amazing. 1st thought was that the app store would be a printing press and that buying Apple stock a total no brainier. BUT NAH I look at the price and see $180 and think I can't own enough stocks @ $180. Todays price: $519

after coming down from $700
Johnny Bitcoinseed

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Johnny Bitcoinseed

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 05:35:50 AM

Some people may have thousands of coins now, but that never lasts.

People die or spend coins on cars and houses and trips, give them to their kids and grand kids.  Just sitting in a wallet the bitcoins are useless.  So they will be spent or traded eventually - putting the bitcoins into circulation where you too can obtain them for yourself!

I don't know about you, but if I were middle aged (and we all get there eventually) and had a pile of bitcoins, I would be out there enjoying life, traveling, having the time of my life and putting those bitcoins to good use.  Afterall, the most valuable commodity of all is the short LIFE we have.  Not bitcoins.

Create something of value and people will hand over bitcoins and money for your goods or services.  Yes, it's true - you too can thrive, even become wealthy, through honest effort and work!

Sincerely I am, Johnny BitcoinSeed .com
jmutch

Activity: 196

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:00:27 AM

haha loving the trolls in this discussion. obviously new to BTC

2 points:
market cap of 2billion is tiny for a financial instrument.
BTC is not fully disseminated

this upward shift looks a lot like the beginning of the last bubble, only the base-line is much higher.

I remember saying when the price was $14 heading into the April bubble that there is no way it will go any higher. I sold most of my BTC then. I leant a valuable lessons:
never underestimate BTC
It is impossible to predict BTC

The bottom line is:
bitcoins still has a lot left in it. Just depends on long you can wait without folding.
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:43:15 AM
Last edit: October 23, 2013, 08:06:20 AM by TERA

The boat is gone but the ship is coming, time for late adopters to bloom when this gets mainstream.
Your itenerary:

-Take boat, Deboard at harbor to train station
-Take train, Exit at train stop at space station
-Board rocket

(boat) ]hardor =====<[train][tracks]>===== ((space station)) %%%%%[rocket===>                                  O  moon
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 09:14:16 AM

The price of a single bitcoin is irrelevant. "A bitcoin" simply a useful accounting distinction. Did you know you can acquire 1/100,000,000 of a bitcoin?

If total valuation of bitcoin grows from $2 billion to $2 trillion (competing with market cap of gold, an incredible feat, but not impossible), then that person who scraped together $1k for "just 5 coins" is now sitting on almost $1 million.

The boats will rise and fall. Bitcoin is young, but has surprising levels of momentum. If not bitcoin, then it's successor. The future is uncertain. Promise and wonder glimmers in the distant horizon.

Poetic and true. Underappreciated post.

Also, I like the sidenote that, if not bitcoin, then its successor will (probably) succeed. Too many people here forget that.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
mearylll

Activity: 315
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 09:27:15 AM

Also, I like the sidenote that, if not bitcoin, then its successor will (probably) succeed.

I dont believe this. The most used wins no matter of the flaws it has, look at Microsoft Operation Systems.
emanymton

Activity: 219
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 09:29:53 AM

The price of a single bitcoin is irrelevant. "A bitcoin" simply a useful accounting distinction. Did you know you can acquire 1/100,000,000 of a bitcoin?

If total valuation of bitcoin grows from $2 billion to $2 trillion (competing with market cap of gold, an incredible feat, but not impossible), then that person who scraped together $1k for "just 5 coins" is now sitting on almost $1 million.

The boats will rise and fall. Bitcoin is young, but has surprising levels of momentum. If not bitcoin, then it's successor. The future is uncertain. Promise and wonder glimmers in the distant horizon.

Also, I like the sidenote that, if not bitcoin, then its successor will (probably) succeed. Too many people here forget that.

I don't see why there would be a successor.
If an innovation happens in another crypto that the market demands, surely bitcoin will adapt to include it.
Given the advantage btc has over other cryptos by being the original, I would think there's no way for another to knock it off it's perch.
Liquid

Activity: 826

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 09:35:56 AM

Buy some Litecoin at a nice price of $1.67 a coin  Cheesy

Only 84 Million coins for the globe  Wink

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
bitwhizz
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 09:48:43 AM

haha loving the trolls in this discussion. obviously new to BTC

2 points:
market cap of 2billion is tiny for a financial instrument.
BTC is not fully disseminated

this upward shift looks a lot like the beginning of the last bubble, only the base-line is much higher.

I remember saying when the price was $14 heading into the April bubble that there is no way it will go any higher. I sold most of my BTC then. I leant a valuable lessons:
never underestimate BTC
It is impossible to predict BTC

The bottom line is:
bitcoins still has a lot left in it. Just depends on long you can wait without folding.

+1111111
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 10:18:43 AM

If an innovation happens in another crypto that the market demands, surely bitcoin will adapt to include it.
Given the advantage btc has over other cryptos by being the original, I would think there's no way for another to knock it off it's perch.

Tell that to Netscape Navigator. Or maybe its successor, Internet Explorer. Or to that one's successor, Firefox. Or how about Alta Vista. Remember the grip they had on the search market? No, probably not, but it can be looked up easily. Or how about Myspace. Man, no chance they could ever lose their dominant position as the social network.

Look, it's a pretty simple concept: I'm not saying Bitcoin will necessarily superseded, I'm just pointing out it's a possibility. For every market leader who held a monopoly in any kind of field for an indefinite time, there's one who was replaced by a new contender. It's a possibility within cryptocurrencies as well, and you'd be wise to keep your mind open enough to consider such a possibility at least. Doesn't mean you have to dump all your bitcoins right this moment :D

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
emanymton

Activity: 219
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 10:49:03 AM

Tell that to Netscape Navigator. Or maybe its successor, Internet Explorer. Or to that one's successor, Firefox. Or how about Alta Vista. Remember the grip they had on the search market? No, probably not, but it can be looked up easily. Or how about Myspace. Man, no chance they could ever lose their dominant position as the social network.

Look, it's a pretty simple concept: I'm not saying Bitcoin will necessarily superseded, I'm just pointing out it's a possibility. For every market leader who held a monopoly in any kind of field for an indefinite time, there's one who was replaced by a new contender. It's a possibility within cryptocurrencies as well, and you'd be wise to keep your mind open enough to consider such a possibility at least. Doesn't mean you have to dump all your bitcoins right this moment Cheesy

I don't think that comparing btc to a free piece of software, social network or search engine is really a valid comparison.

In fact, since nothing in history has ever matched btc in terms of utility, it's very difficult to compare it to anything.

I think it would be more poignant to compare it to companies like paypal, WU or Visa, even though btc offers more than these three combined.

Now that they have dominant share of a saturated market, it would be very difficult for some start up to come in and take over the market.
Especially since when one of the companies offers something, the other companies in the sector quickly follow suit ie mastercard paypass => visa paywave

I'm not saying it definitely won't happen, I just think it's highly unlikely considering the head start bitcoin and this community has over the alts.
It would have to offer something that can't be added to bitcoin to be of any real threat.

This is why we see btc at over $200 today and ltc valued more than 100x less.

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 10:58:02 AM

YES I LOVE BEING DUMB LETS SEE HOW SMART YOU ARE. ANSWER THIS QUESTION SMART ASS

Don't know. What's the answer?

Lucky only a microscopic percentage of the world knows about Bitcoin. Best hop onboard. You don't wanna miss that boat...

josiahgarber

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:38:09 PM

People who buy Bitcoin at lower prices can make higher returns: Point Conceded.

No one can buy bitcoin today and make serious money: Time Will Tell.
fattypig

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 01:06:02 PM

Buy some Litecoin at a nice price of $1.67 a coin  Cheesy

Only 84 Million coins for the globe  Wink

Did that when Litecoin is at the price of $1.9-$2.... regretted!!

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: