Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:11:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The boat is long gone  (Read 8585 times)
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 02:04:53 PM

[...]

I'm not saying it definitely won't happen, I just think it's highly unlikely considering the head start bitcoin and this community has over the alts.
It would have to offer something that can't be added to bitcoin to be of any real threat.

This is why we see btc at over $200 today and ltc valued more than 100x less.

Correct. Ltc is marginally useful (as a hedge against some black swan even that would affect btc, but not ltc -- a rather unlikely scenario, I would add) at best, and selfish at its core at worst. But you'll note that in my post I said nothing about ltc. I don't believe they could ever take over the dominant role in cryptocurrency. A currency that doesn't exist yet, and in one way or another improves on btc... that's a different matter.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 02:09:59 PM
Last edit: October 23, 2013, 02:37:14 PM by Tzupy

oda.krell, I hope you are long now. The drop that marked the end of the second sub-sub-wave of the second sub-wave of wave B was overturned by whales.
There should have been at least a 10$ drop, but the whales didn't wait for it to end and bought. That's on Gox.
I believe we are going to see the third sub-sub-wave of wave B, and only after that we go down.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 02:33:17 PM

I'm holding, and have been, for a while now. And personally, I don't see that correction happening yet. By my count, we're up around 50% from where the "irrational" part of the current rally began (I'm going by bitstamp figures, by the way, but the two markets are linked closely enough that it doesn't matter). The market is more cautious this time, April is still in the back of the mind of many people, but a 50% rise in about 10 days isn't quite the frenzy that makes me think we'll see a major correction in the next days. That'll be different when (and depending on how) we go past 260 to 300.

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 02:38:52 PM

YES I LOVE BEING DUMB LETS SEE HOW SMART YOU ARE. ANSWER THIS QUESTION SMART ASS

Tell me an INVESTMENT past or present(NOT A STOCK) that costs $200-$5000 that anyone could have bought and then went on to become a millionaire. The only caveat is that the investment had/has to be a fully disseminated idea that the world knows/knew about. So in other words the person got in AFTER THE FACT and made millions off of a $200-$5000 investment.

Don't know. What's the answer?

Lucky only a microscopic percentage of the world knows about Bitcoin. Best hop onboard. You don't wanna miss that boat...

An education.
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 02:40:58 PM
Last edit: October 23, 2013, 02:54:30 PM by Birdy

oda.krell, I hope you are long now. The drop that marked the end of the second sub-sub-wave of the second sub-wave of wave B was overturned by whales.
There should have been at least a 10$ drop, but the whales didn't wait for it to end and bought. That's on Gox.
I believe we are going to see the third sub-sub-wave of wave B, and only after that we go down.

Is that the TA formulation for "oops, I was wrong"?

Because all I read is

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 03:04:37 PM

Because all I read is

Correct.  Tzupy prefers blaming others to admitting he can't see the future.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Soju Boy

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 03:12:31 PM

YES I LOVE BEING DUMB LETS SEE HOW SMART YOU ARE. ANSWER THIS QUESTION SMART ASS

Tell me an INVESTMENT past or present(NOT A STOCK) that costs $200-$5000 that anyone could have bought and then went on to become a millionaire. The only caveat is that the investment had/has to be a fully disseminated idea that the world knows/knew about. So in other words the person got in AFTER THE FACT and made millions off of a $200-$5000 investment.

Lucky only a microscopic percentage of the world knows about Bitcoin. Best hop onboard. You don't wanna miss that boat...

An education.

PLEASE do tell me where I can get a $200-$5000 education that employers wouldn't laugh at.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 03:30:55 PM

An education.

Clever answer. I fear old fleabag will find fault though.

adpinbr

Activity: 1008
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 03:41:12 PM

Come on people you are missing the point. Tell me some success stories of investments where people made a ton of money and the idea was already set in motion? AFTER THE FACT!  You people now missed the boat and the REAL money is long gone. Give me an example of an investment that proves my point wrong. I am not denying the fact that there is money to be made yet. All I am saying is that very rarely are you going to get rich on something that has already happened.

Bought SIRI at $1.85 on 06/07/2012 still riding to todays high of $4.12, plan on selling at ~5ish, didnt have the balls to buy at $.09
Bought FB at $26 have a sell order in at $55, which was almost triggered today, hit a high of $54.76

I would say those are some pretty healthy returns.

CANT USE STOCKS IN THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION. GOOD JOB THOUGH ON THE STOCKS.

Do you like being dumb?

YES I LOVE BEING DUMB. LETS SEE HOW SMART YOU ARE. ANSWER THIS QUESTION SMART ASS

First off thats an unfair question because your numbers where differnet back then due to inflation. lets take a look at gold. in the late 1960 it was going for 35$ an ounce. doubling by 1972, and going up by a facotr of 10 by late 1990s. everyone said gold rush was over, but we went up by a factor of 5 in another 10 years, and a factor of 5 will most likley be achieved in the next 10 years. bearkshare hathaway on the other hand has also done fairly well. at each point in time there were people like you screaming its over, and there were people like me who realize that the run up has only begun. 200 a bitcoin is cheap. 1500 an ounce of gold is cheap. do yourself a favor, go to a mall and ask 100 people if they can tell you what a bitcoin is. then ask them if they own a bitcoin. then do the same for gold. then after calming down come back to this forum and post again

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
mccoyspace

Activity: 237
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 03:44:20 PM

....employers .....

There's your problem right there.
Talking to investors is better
Rival

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 03:48:30 PM

Pretty much anyone reading these words knows quite a bit about bitcoins. We are surrounded here with voices who have adopted and understand. It becomes easy to assume that the boat has left, so much "easy money" and "astronomical profits" has already been made. But honestly, well over 99% of the population of the earth has likely not even heard the term "bitcoin" yet. We see it in the news only because we are looking for it. To the average person it is so far off of the radar that it might as well not even exist.

The boat has not left. In fact, it is barely off the drawing board yet.

oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 03:50:59 PM

You know, when you carve away all the trolling and needless SHOUTING, fleabag's argument is not even completely dumb. If an event never happened until now, or only happens extremely rarely, it is reasonable to adjust your expectation of the likelihood of that event happening in the future by the fact. As always, there's a relevant xkcd for this.

That said, I ultimately disagree with fleabag for several reasons. His assumption is flawed ("the entire worlds already knows about it"), and the event itself is not completely unprecedented either (e.g. a pretty large number of millionaires were created during the dot-com bubble -- some even kept their wealth). Finally, constructing the prior probability is not as simple as saying "that totally didn't happen before, so it'll never happen, duh", which is essentially what he is trying to say.

oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 03:52:32 PM

[...]

PLEASE do tell me where I can get a $200-$5000 education that employers wouldn't laugh at.

Most of Europe? A.k.a. "the civilized part of the modern world" Cheesy

Tzupy
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 03:53:46 PM

Because all I read is

Correct.  Tzupy prefers blaming others to admitting he can't see the future.

You just showed you have no idea what I was talking about.
And yes, I can't accurately predict the price movement when someone breaks my combo. Shit happens.

adpinbr

Activity: 1008
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 03:55:45 PM

[...]

Most of Europe? A.k.a. "the civilized part of the modern world" Cheesy

In the future emplyeers will laugh at those that paid more than that

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
papaminer

Activity: 462

Free World

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 03:59:25 PM

BOAT IS STILL SEA!

GO SWIM AND CLIMB UP THE BOAT!!!

THIS BOAT WILL BECOME A SHIP!

Did you really think $200+ is the top?

GUESS AGAIN!

฿: 1L7dSte4Rs4KyyxRCgrqSWYtkXdAb4Gy1z

MORE INFO ABOUT ME: BTC
Birdy

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 04:00:52 PM

And yes, I can't accurately predict the price movement when someone breaks my combo. Shit happens.

So you can accurately predict price movement until you can not?
Because the thing "breaking the combo" is the same thing you try to predict.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 04:01:50 PM

An education.

Um, lots of places.
Tzupy
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 04:12:01 PM

So you can accurately predict price movement until you can not?
Because the thing "breaking the combo" is the same thing you try to predict.

I can predict when there will be a smaller or larger drop or spike in price, and am trying to guesstimate the tops and bottoms.
When 'noise' pollutes the waves, that's when my combo breaks.
When buyers like me wait for the sellers to finish dumping, they can buy (get hit) with calculated orders and without slippage.
Today some other buyers went panic buying in the first half of the drop, maybe they didn't care about slippage.

Nesetalis

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 04:12:22 PM

I stopped reading the drivle a little while back... but his question about an investment that made so much? Simple answer..
Any government currency in existence :p
Comes from 0, gets printed to whatever insane rate of inflation they want.
Bitcoins are unprecedented, but exponential (and even greater) rates of deflation have and can exist. Anyone betting against the USD for instance in the past 20 years would have gotten something similar if they were smart Tongue

ZOMG Moo!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: