Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:06:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to put mining rigs? Wife wants them out of the house!  (Read 2639 times)
amazingrando (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 09:24:00 PM

No prob, let me know how that works out - I'm in LA too, and might be interested in something like this at some point (right now I don't have enough hashing power to justify it). BTW, I also know that storage places which offer storage for RVs, boats, and such typically have electrical outlets. I found one place (in Florida unfortunately) that has 30 amp plugs in the storage units. I'm sure these are expensive to rent though.

I've asked the owner of this storage place if i could get up to 80 amps to support me growing to about 10 rigs.  We'll see what he's willing to do.  Boat storage is also a good idea.  Might check that if it this doesn't work.

Bitbond - 105% PPS mining bond - mining payouts without buying hardware
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
amazingrando (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 09:26:08 PM

To the OP: send them to me! I have an extra room, I call it my "server room" that currently contains my one-and-a-half rigs Smiley Aaand I have free electricity! Well not free, but it's included in my rent, I pay a fixed amount no matter how much I use.

The only problem is you're in L.A. and I'm in New Hampshire...

How do you swing fixed price electricity?  That's a sweet deal!

I have three rigs right now and building a fourth.  Expect to have 10 in the next month or two.  That could easily be a $900 power bill in LA, even with commercial rates.

jh1523

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 09:30:04 PM

That's not an unusual deal up here in the land of the ice. Smiley Besides the landlords can deduct it as business expenses so they don't really care one way or another.
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 09:32:38 PM

I think most places with fixed electricity costs also assume some "standard" usage.  I'm willing to bet if their bill skyrocketed, you'd be billed accordingly
hmblm1245

Activity: 628

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 09:49:38 PM

I have reviewed my home owners association bylaws and there is no standard usage, lucky me. Also it may depend on the total amount of apts in the building. Lets say 50+. A bump in power from one might not even dent the power bill for anyone to notice, at least in my case it doesn't. Smiley
jh1523

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 10:25:06 PM

Nope, no mention of standard usage, or of any usage whatsoever anywhere in my lease agreement. Smiley
Mistafreeze

Activity: 897
Merit: 284

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 02:56:52 AM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned getting rid of the wife as a viable alternative  Undecided
amazingrando (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 08:20:29 AM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned getting rid of the wife as a viable alternative  Undecided

I love Bitcoin, but if came down to it, I'll take her over BTC any day  Grin  Still, I'd like to have my cake and eat it too!

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 09:09:03 AM

I've just setup a small rig (only 2x6950)
I'm from Aus so you may need to translate some of the terms I use ...  Smiley

But my solution was to put it in my garage in the building basement
I live in a block of units and the power in the garage is of course connected to my unit also.
So my solution is to use a Powerline adapter (I bought a Netgear XAVB1004 for $110)
to get the internet down there

It's in a pretty stable temperature (and also being winter here now quite cool down there)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
alans

Activity: 50

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 03:20:37 PM

I think most places with fixed electricity costs also assume some "standard" usage.  I'm willing to bet if their bill skyrocketed, you'd be billed accordingly

Testify!  That's why I'm currently selling 8 6990's...
tapn2me

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 02:17:26 PM

To the OP: send them to me! I have an extra room, I call it my "server room" that currently contains my one-and-a-half rigs Smiley Aaand I have free electricity! Well not free, but it's included in my rent, I pay a fixed amount no matter how much I use.

I have three rigs right now and building a fourth.  Expect to have 10 in the next month or two.  That could easily be a $900 power bill in LA, even with commercial rates.

In Long Beach.. wondered if you've got any resolution to this yet?   I have a fairly good size separate addition to the house.  I have a special account with SCE that prices electricity at a fraction of the normal cost.  I also supplement with a solar panel set up.  I currently have two 7970's and two BFL Singles all water cooled.  Interested in teaming up?   Could add water cooling to your rigs and take advantage of the low electricity cost and stay in the local area.

Daryl
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 02:19:07 PM

In Long Beach.. wondered if you've got any resolution to this yet?   I have a fairly good size separate addition to the house.  I have a special account with SCE that prices electricity at a fraction of the normal cost.  I also supplement with a solar panel set up.  I currently have two 7970's and two BFL Singles all water cooled.  Interested in teaming up?   Could add water cooling to your rigs and take advantage of the low electricity cost and stay in the local area.

Daryl
Check the dates.
tapn2me

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 05:08:23 AM

Check the dates.
[/quote]

I saw the dates when I posted the reply, it's not my first time on a forum...   Angry 

still does not mean that they wouldn't be interested or the person has found a solution yet.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: