Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 11:52:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IOTA-DCI email leaks debunk reports of IOTA flaws.  (Read 97 times)
JuniAiko (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

DOGE:DDvXm3ZkXSFeZF9YVaTWGNyBZzfwVf8nnh

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2018, 04:43:13 PM

https://www.finder.com.au/reports-of-iota-cryptographic-vulnerabilities-debunked-in-email-leak

Over the weekend an anonymous person leaked a whole lot of emails to a journalist at Tangleblog who let the whole world take a look at them through Twitter. The emails are correspondence between IOTA developers and researchers at the MIT-affiliated Digital Currency Initiative (DCI).
The DCI previously sparked controversy by reporting that IOTA was cryptographically vulnerable and generally broken. The IOTA team previously gave a comprehensive rebuttal, but rumours of IOTA's vulnerabilities have persisted and been widely republished.
These newly leaked emails present a very detailed look at the circumstances which led up to the initial DCI report, in an extensive 125 page back and forth. You can find it all here (PDF).

https://www.finder.com.au/reports-of-iota-cryptographic-vulnerabilities-debunked-in-email-leak

also, in the news:
Taipei Partners With IOTA To Become A Blockchain-Powered Smart City
https://cointelegraph.com/news/taipei-partners-with-iota-to-become-a-blockchain-powered-smart-city

Even if IOTA still have existing flaws for it to function as a crypto-currency (which will certainly eventually be ironed out); its main focus us ultimately as an IoT bridge, which it seem to be doing very well, with countless partnerships, with the above as the biggest one yet coming to fruit. These will certainly propel IOTA substantially in the coming months ahead into 2020..
IOTA is also position as a useful medium for different blockchains to talk to one another instantly + zero fees.

NANO on the other hand is only focusing its use-case as a currency to compete with BTC, however, its architecture prevents it from having the same wide-use as IOTA does.

[|NEO|ONT|XLM|WAN|ADA|ELA|VEN|EOS|NCASH|TRX|IOTA|>
Imfinnabeon

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

Decentralize The $15-Trillion Global Trade Industr

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 06:12:17 PM

So they didn't roll their own crypto? If that part isn't debunked then whatever that report says really doesn't matter as far as I am concerned. That accompanied with creating your own seed is literally the dumbest thing I have heard since entering here.

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2018, 06:31:47 PM

So they didn't roll their own crypto? If that part isn't debunked then whatever that report says really doesn't matter as far as I am concerned. That accompanied with creating your own seed is literally the dumbest thing I have heard since entering here.

AFAIK there is no hash for ternary, so you would have to roll your own crypto, so that isn't a valid criticism in and of itself. Now if you want to criticize them for not getting an outside group (they have highly qualified mathematicians and access to a super computer) to vet it, that's a valid criticism--though we'll see how valid when cybercrypt finishes their research. Though as an investor, I was only interested in how they took the threat seriously (they removed it) despite not getting the data they wanted from DCI.

As for making your own seed, Bitcoin didn't have a seed generator in early wallets, so why did they get a pass when their goal was P2P? The IOTA team wasn't even going to have a human wallet (wish they had stuck to that), but made it very clear that the wallet they did issue would be bare bones and users should understand how it works (they obviously didn't), but no one was complaining until something bad happened, so it seems like rehashing a pain point rather than an "I told you so."

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: