Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:55:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust on Bloomberg  (Read 10972 times)
EatonABooger

Activity: 151
Merit: 36

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 06:37:52 PM

This will be so BIG that we (the bitcoin community) need an official weekly update from an insider? or someone who knows the progress of the approval process.
My biggest concern is getting busy and distracted on life issues and missing the announcement of the ETF launch.
I am serious... this will be huge.  Immediately, most of the working class, semi-retired and full retired folk that are searching for a place to put their large stash of 401k and roth money, will be buyers.

Just in my little circle of professionals, there is a very large amount of saved money just sitting in bonds and cash (guaranteed income funds) that is just looking for somewhere to go.  My peers are too conservative to get into bitcoin in its current "wild-west" environment, but are quite excited to hear that they may soon be able to invest in bitcoin with the security of the SEC/wall street.  Were talking about hundreds of thousands of US$ in just my little middle class circle of acquaintances.  I can imagine that if this is the case in just a small percentage of the US, especially once the media does its thing with it, we will have to prepare for a large step function in the price of BTC.

If anyone learns of a method to track and keep updated with the progress of this ETF, please share.  Maybe even a special email or distribution network may be in order.  Just a thought.

P.S. I am not real confident that the Winklevoss website will do the task of keeping the public updated and informed.  I am too suspicious that the information will be kept between "insiders" until it is too late.

“Look at those poor saps back on land with their laws and ethics! They’ll never know the simple joys of a monkey knife fight.”
H.J.Simpson

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 06:43:41 PM

Lol at trusting wall street over silicon valley.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 10:51:23 PM

My peers are too conservative to get into bitcoin in its current "wild-west" environment, but are quite excited to hear that they may soon be able to invest in bitcoin with the security of the SEC/wall street. 

Sigh... So people won't invest in an asset through a mechanism with 0% fees, but are more inclined to invest in the same asset with 2%/yr fees.

And people wonder why the bankers keep winning. The bankers keep winning because the average person allows them to.
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2013, 11:07:44 PM

My peers are too conservative to get into bitcoin in its current "wild-west" environment, but are quite excited to hear that they may soon be able to invest in bitcoin with the security of the SEC/wall street. 

Sigh... So people won't invest in an asset through a mechanism with 0% fees, but are more inclined to invest in the same asset with 2%/yr fees.

And people wonder why the bankers keep winning. The bankers keep winning because the average person allows them to.

you cannot take money out of a 401k or IRA without 10% tax penalties so no it is not 0%
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 11:38:46 PM

i'm jobless and homeless...

Homeless as in "not a home owner" and not as in "living in streets" I hope? Wink
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 11:47:52 PM

Homeless as in "not a home owner" and not as in "living in streets" I hope? Wink

"not a home owner"    Wink

A load of my mind Wink

Anyway, then I'm homeless too. I don't want to own something really overvalued in a leveraged fashion for more than my net worth ...
adamstgBit
Legendary

Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 12:34:54 AM

"not a home owner"    Wink

A load of my mind Wink

Anyway, then I'm homeless too. I don't want to own something really overvalued in a leveraged fashion for more than my net worth ...

I just don't want to pay taxes on it, and have something the govt can take just for the fuck of it...

brain wallets all the way!~

you should become a home owner! housing really does only ever go up in value.

everyone needs a nice place to live.

move to canada. Cheesy

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 12:39:05 AM

Price != value

You don't have to own where you live.

move to canada. Cheesy

There are worse places Smiley
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 06:13:03 PM

so what's the deal is this baby getting the green light or is this going to get delayed as well  due to the gubbamint shutdown? when did they all come back to work? we would need to count about 21 days from that day...

i think usually the SEC gets a few weeks to reply if they have further questions.

what are your guys thought on the short term impact?  will this cause price to go up or down as more supply floods the market?  

or really this is a new supply to an unmet demand, so is this trust structured in a way that they start buying more BTC as they fill up?
vpitcher07

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 07:26:33 PM

so what's the deal is this baby getting the green light or is this going to get delayed as well  due to the gubbamint shutdown? when did they all come back to work? we would need to count about 21 days from that day...

i think usually the SEC gets a few weeks to reply if they have further questions.

what are your guys thought on the short term impact?  will this cause price to go up or down as more supply floods the market?  

or really this is a new supply to an unmet demand, so is this trust structured in a way that they start buying more BTC as they fill up?

This will make btc skyrocket just from an adoption perspective alone.. The greater the adoption of bitcoin, the greater the price...

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
Shallow

Activity: 938
Merit: 255

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 11:01:17 PM

Has this gone live yet?

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 12:08:38 AM

Has this gone live yet?

Sometime next year most likely.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 01:57:21 AM

Seriously, it's the same asset however it's packaged.  We trust Bitcoin because we know how it works and we know how to keep other people from stealing it.  Why is it a bad thing that your grandmother can buy it now using ways of buying things that she understands?

This Winklevoss trust is a GOOD thing.  
Rupture

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 05:08:31 AM

Hopefully some bigshot investors get on board Tongue
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 02:01:26 AM

Seriously, it's the same asset however it's packaged.  We trust Bitcoin because we know how it works and we know how to keep other people from stealing it.  Why is it a bad thing that your grandmother can buy it now using ways of buying things that she understands?

I agree that anything which helps people join the BTC train who otherwise would not have is a good thing. The ETF is also worthwhile for money locked in 401K type accounts.

My comment was more that it is a shame many people would rather pay 2%/year than take 1 hour to learn bitcoin and do something simple like sign up at coinbase. 2%/yr adds up and is a tremendous amount over a decade or two...
adamstgBit
Legendary

Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 02:04:48 AM

Price != value
no but i'm still right.

renting is a wast of money. living with your parents = loser.

move to canada. Cheesy

There are worse places Smiley
Canada is the best place to live, especially for bitcoiners

User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 06:54:33 AM

There are no places in the "developed" world where you can truly own your real estate.  People confuse a piece of paper that obligates them to pay various taxes and fees in exchange for occupancy with actual ownership.  Not too mention the fact that interest payments on loans or communal homeowner fees in planned developments are basically another form of rent.

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 12:28:09 PM

Why? I'm planning to rent for a long time Smiley

Yes it's expensive, but investing more than your net worth into overpriced real estate is such a bad idea ...
David Rabahy

Activity: 709
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 06:16:01 PM

secondmarket is only open to rich people tho. Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust  would be open to all.

what is this equityinstitutional.com

i thought secondmarket.com was going to handle the bitcoins on their own.
Plenty of folks are rich enough *if* they include their retirement funds.  As an alternative, paying the penalty and taxes to withdraw retirement funds prematurely is a pretty painful way to get into Bitcoin but with the kind of potential it could very well be worth it -- one does not need to be rich enough to use this approach just committed/brave.

I left a voice message with the Equity Institutional person directly and an awaiting a callback.  They are a trust company.  They can hold things, e.g. Bitcoins, in trust for folks.

SecondMarket is apparently partnering with Equity Institutional (and others) to connect Bitcoin investors with trust companies.  I'm sure SecondMarket will want a fee for making this connection but pretty quickly folks will find their own way to the trust companies.
SecondMarket is sticking to their $25K (USD) minimum.  They rejected my request to bring in just ~$14K (USD) at first.  They also insist on documentation showing one is an Accredited Investor, i.e. net worth excluding main residence >$1M (USD).  Even if I can make both hurdles do I want to pay their 1.5% front end, 2% annual and 1.5% back end fees besides the additional fees the trust company charges for their services?  The SecondMarket unit investment trust (UIT), Bitcoin Investment Trust http://www.bitcointrust.co/ (with a suspicious Columbian domain), will be something less than 100% Bitcoin (obviously they will have to have some cash on hand).  Finally, they indicate they will liquid by March 2014 (at that point allowing folks to get out) but how can we be sure?
I asked SecondMarket, "Will you provide the Bitcoin address or addresses where the trust holdings will reside so that I can use something like Blockchain.info to confirm balances?"

SecondMarket responded, "For security reasons, we will not be able to share the addresses. As you may have read, we have partnered with great service providers including Ernst and Young on the audit side and Sidley Austin on the legal side to oversee our storing of bitcoin."
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 06:21:04 PM

Why? I'm planning to rent for a long time Smiley

Yes it's expensive, but investing more than your net worth into overpriced real estate is such a bad idea ...

My real estate has already tripled in less than 15 years.  In the non-bitcoin world, that's pretty hard to do.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: