Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:23:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: On The Origins Of Bitcoin -Stages Of Monetary Evolution- by Konrad S. Graf (PDF)  (Read 1681 times)
dillpicklechips (OP)

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 10:33:11 PM

http://konradsgraf.com/storage/On%20the%20Origins%20of%20Bitcoin%20Graf%2023.10.13.pdf

Just... wow!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dillpicklechips (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 10:40:39 PM

Gives me reason to waste time on this?

Your loss.

This is the introductory text:

"Below is the first public version of a new work I have just written on Bitcoin and monetary theory. It addresses in a more systematic way than I have before issues relating to the interpretation of the origins of Bitcoin in terms of the monetary regression theorem and the application of some central integral-theory principles to monetary theory.

Bitcoin has arisen as an entirely new and unexpected market phenomenon deserving of fresh treatments. Its arrival also provides opportunities to dig deeper into theoretical fundamentals themselves. While this work can be viewed as part of a much larger project in progress, I also have the sense that it can stand alone.
The title, On the origins of Bitcoin: Stages of monetary evolution, acknowledges the inspiration of the classic 1892 work, On the origins of money by Carl Menger, a landmark in the development of the market-evolution account of the origins of media of exchange and money. This “Austrian school” or “Vienna school” approach contrasts with what I dub the state-creatationism theory of the origin of money. It also contrasts with the tempting but unsatisfactory view that money is merely a “social illusion.”

In a nod to the software world out of which Bitcoin has arisen, I call it a first public beta, meaning that, while refinements are always possible and likely, I think the central intended functionality has been implemented. Revised versions and formats may follow."
dillpicklechips (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 11:06:59 PM

My personal favorite part:

At the same time, Bitcoin is a novel case. Its scarcity has been achieved without tangibility. It was not picked up at the beach and carved, nor was it dug out of the side of a mountain and cleaned or melted. It was built out of the intricacies of new cryptographic and computer science innovations that were remixed and put together in a new and valuable way. Bitcoin is dug out the side of cryptocyberspace mountain. The first hit of a pickaxe on this never-before-seen ore was heard on January 3, 2009.
dillpicklechips (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 11:38:01 PM

Why do people keep seeking reason?
The drive to explain the world will never disappear. It's fun.
mccoyspace

Activity: 237
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 12:53:54 AM

Why do people keep seeking reason?
Why not just enjoy this. Theorem here theorem there, unimportant. Though there are some parts that I like.

You can be sure that the creator/s of Bitcoin knew some theorems. They come in handy sometimes.
mccoyspace

Activity: 237
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 12:59:06 AM

Your loss.

"Below is the first public version of a new work I have just written on Bitcoin and monetary theory. It addresses in a more systematic way than I have before issues relating to the interpretation of the origins of Bitcoin in terms of the monetary regression theorem and the application of some central integral-theory principles to monetary theory.

Bitcoin has arisen as an entirely new and unexpected market phenomenon deserving of fresh treatments. Its arrival also provides opportunities to dig deeper into theoretical fundamentals themselves. While this work can be viewed as part of a much larger project in progress, I also have the sense that it can stand alone.
The title, On the origins of Bitcoin: Stages of monetary evolution, acknowledges the inspiration of the classic 1892 work, On the origins of money by Carl Menger, a landmark in the development of the market-evolution account of the origins of media of exchange and money. This “Austrian school” or “Vienna school” approach contrasts with what I dub the state-creatationism theory of the origin of money. It also contrasts with the tempting but unsatisfactory view that money is merely a “social illusion.”

In a nod to the software world out of which Bitcoin has arisen, I call it a first public beta, meaning that, while refinements are always possible and likely, I think the central intended functionality has been implemented. Revised versions and formats may follow."

He ignores another origin theory. That before there was money there was debt. See David Graeber's "Debt: the first 5000 years."
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 09:04:02 AM

Your loss.

He ignores another origin theory. That before there was money there was debt. See David Graeber's "Debt: the first 5000 years."

You don't have to read him. He does not understand.
dillpicklechips (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 12:30:07 PM

Like what?
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 01:57:42 PM

Like what?
Re David Graeber's "Debt: the first 5000 years."

The  essense of money, the market, debt, where value comes from, gift economies, capital, productivity, division of labour, wars, coins ... he doesn't understand those things, but his book has some amusing stories with sexual connections.
fran2k

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 02:05:42 PM

New version.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: