Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:50:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sierra Overclocking  (Read 1117 times)
emanymton (OP)

Activity: 219
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 10:56:51 PM

Does anybody know if there's room for overclocking the sierra with the stock psu?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 10:57:30 PM

Nothing that will make you roi.
Full point.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
emanymton (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 12:33:33 AM

Full point.
Most of the people in this forum are miners.
It's in their best interest to scare everybody away from mining in order to maximise their own investment.
It was a simple question.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 12:38:26 AM

Full point.
It's in their best interest to scare everybody away from mining in order to maximise their own investment.

not only that but scare everyone away from a competing company by bashing anyone and everyone related to it.

the answer is yes.
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 12:49:14 AM

Full point.

not only that but scare everyone away from a competing company by bashing anyone and everyone related to it.

the answer is yes.

That would be foolish idea. IF the pace slows down in any significant way then it would open the door for a large private entity to pick up the slack and potentially centralize mining further.
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 06:17:20 AM

your answer is yes.  I remember a rep from hashfast saying that there would be overclocking temperature logic built into the chips themselves.  They will adjust the hashrate and intensity if a lower temperature is detected.  Best believe it makes a lot of sense to mine these in something akin to an icebox or freezer just to get a huge overclock.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 06:28:17 AM

your answer is yes.  I remember a rep from hashfast saying that there would be overclocking temperature logic built into the chips themselves.  They will adjust the hashrate and intensity if a lower temperature is detected.  Best believe it makes a lot of sense to mine these in something akin to an icebox or freezer just to get a huge overclock.

Not a good idea.
a) compressors on fridges are small.  They are designed to keep cold stuff cold not remove a 1.2KW heat load.
b) cooling below dew point = condensation onto components which probably don't enjoy getting wet.
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 07:18:54 AM

Not a good idea.
a) compressors on fridges are small.  They are designed to keep cold stuff cold not remove a 1.2KW heat load.
b) cooling below dew point = condensation onto components which probably don't enjoy getting wet.

I'm just quoting a quote that I heard which is - condensation collects on objects colder than the ambient temperature surrounding them - Asics will always be warm/hotter than ambient air.  But I completely understand your second point on A that they are meant to maintain a constant temperature, NOT remove heat.  Now you have me thinking about how I could do it but have something cost effective.  A data center is obviously available for me but this is pretending that I don't have that and need to run my own home electronics freezer.

Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 01:51:49 PM

Yes, I am told they will OC if they detect a temperature that is is programmed to OC at.  I would suggest either purchasing a properly sized A/C for your units or host them in a data-center that is running a lower temp if you want to explore that avenue. 

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 05:39:15 PM

Not a good idea.

I'm just quoting a quote that I heard which is - condensation collects on objects colder than the ambient temperature surrounding them - Asics will always be warm/hotter than ambient air.  But I completely understand your second point on A that they are meant to maintain a constant temperature, NOT remove heat.  Now you have me thinking about how I could do it but have something cost effective.  A data center is obviously available for me but this is pretending that I don't have that and need to run my own home electronics freezer.

Water moves.   Condense on cooler metal parts and drip, flow, puddle to the hotter actively electrical ones.   Cooling below dewpoint is generally not a good idea.   

As for what to use.   You need something which can move a lot more heat.  1 ton AC = 12,000 BTU ~= 3KW.   A window AC in a insulated box would work.  Just don't try cooling below dew point.  However at some point using chilled water cooling starts to make more sense.  The HF modules are already designed to be fitted with a waterblock.
emanymton (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 05:29:41 AM

Not a good idea.

Water moves.   Condense on cooler metal parts and drip, flow, puddle to the hotter actively electrical ones.   Cooling below dewpoint is generally not a good idea.   

As for what to use.   You need something which can move a lot more heat.  1 ton AC = 12,000 BTU ~= 3KW.   A window AC in a insulated box would work.  Just don't try cooling below dew point.  However at some point using chilled water cooling starts to make more sense.  The HF modules are already designed to be fitted with a waterblock.
It says in the shop "These machines include a high performance water cooling system with a back mounted radiator."
I guess we won't know how hard they can be pushed till we see them in the wild.
TomKeddie

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 05:22:37 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2013, 02:46:16 PM by TomKeddie

It says in the shop "These machines include a high performance water cooling system with a back mounted radiator."
I guess we won't know how hard they can be pushed till we see them in the wild.

Please don't trust this person. Seems to have burnt this account for $70 they took from me.  No escrow, didn't think someone would go to so much trouble for $70.

Retracted, other issues caused no communication.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 12:50:00 AM

Cooling below dewpoint is generally not a good idea.

I know this is OT for this thread, but I wanted to ask...

I have a stack of Avalons that lives on my outdoor deck.  A roof protects them from rain and such, but they are fully exposed to the outdoor temperature changes, which get down below freezing at night this time of year.

Am I likely to have dew issues?

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:41:02 AM

I have a stack of Avalons that lives on my outdoor deck.  A roof protects them from rain and such, but they are fully exposed to the outdoor temperature changes, which get down below freezing at night this time of year.

Maybe.  Winter is probably less of an issue.  The relatively humidity is lower (cold, dry air) so there isn't as much water to condense out.  If you get condensation (more likely in Spring) it will be because the roof is colder than the dew point and water condenses out of the air and drips onto the rigs.  If the heat from your rigs keeps the underside of the roof higher than the dewpoint then there isn't much risk.

If you can change the setup from a roof with open walls to an enclosed box that keeps the temp of the air inside the box above the dew point the chance goes to zero.
aerobatic

Activity: 702
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 04:32:28 PM

I have a stack of Avalons that lives on my outdoor deck.  A roof protects them from rain and such, but they are fully exposed to the outdoor temperature changes, which get down below freezing at night this time of year.

i think you're likely to have dew problems and may have rust on your circuits.  could be bad for power supplies... and chips.. and everything.  theres the potential for dew to freeze... work fine... and then thaw and cause significant damage.

I should add that this has happened to me...  literally, i had the early version of liquid cooling, which was vapour chill cooling (AseTek used to cool chips with chillers that operated at sub zero temps)...  and my high end pc equipment was working fine and always on... and it worked flawlessly at below 0 temperatures right up until the first power cut, when the system thawed... and the water corroded and damaged the intel chips.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: