Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:02:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This Doesn't Feel Like A Bubble To Me  (Read 1346 times)
windjc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 12:19:31 AM

The term "Bubble" is being thrown around this forum like its going out of style.

But besides a few posts I've read, it seems the majority of people using this term don't even understand it.

What we have seen in the BTC markets starting with the Silk Road news is called VOLATILITY.

Too many people are looking at April to try and predict when we will "crash" again. But even if we go up to 266 and come back down to 150, that wouldn't have been a bubble or a crash. That would just be high volatility.

April was more like a bubble because it slowly built from the teens and gained more and more momentum as it went along. By the time the ATH hit, we were seeing daily verticle jumps well past anything on record.

Right now we have 1 day (today) where it looks like MtGox will be in the +20s.  High volatility.

If we are in a bubble, we are in the early stages. If in a couple of weeks were are north of 450 or 500, and have had $50+ up days, then you can start using the word "Bubble."

But until then, this is just high volatility.
freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 12:32:47 AM

You know it's time to sell when people start acting delusional and thinking aloud that the Moon is made of cheese...
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 12:35:32 AM

the High volatility will POP! get out b4 its too late!

Lol!

wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 12:36:46 AM

if this is a bubble it is just the start. if this really is a bubble here comes $3000!

Weren't you saying the same in April?

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
lucas.sev

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 12:40:55 AM

It doesn't?

windjc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 12:42:17 AM

It doesn't?

No, it doesn't. For all the reasons I just talked about. Good job in picking a candlestick timeframe to make it appear like it though.

If we get 8 more upward candlesticks, with some of them being larger than any we saw in April, then like I said, that would now put us in the early stages of a bubble.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 12:45:44 AM

The term "Bubble" is being thrown around this forum like its going out of style.

But besides a few posts I've read, it seems the majority of people using this term don't even understand it.

What we have seen in the BTC markets starting with the Silk Road news is called VOLATILITY.

Too many people are looking at April to try and predict when we will "crash" again. But even if we go up to 266 and come back down to 150, that wouldn't have been a bubble or a crash. That would just be high volatility.

April was more like a bubble because it slowly built from the teens and gained more and more momentum as it went along. By the time the ATH hit, we were seeing daily verticle jumps well past anything on record.

Right now we have 1 day (today) where it looks like MtGox will be in the +20s.  High volatility.

If we are in a bubble, we are in the early stages. If in a couple of weeks were are north of 450 or 500, and have had $50+ up days, then you can start using the word "Bubble."

But until then, this is just high volatility.

ok i have to agree,
your right this is by no means a bubble, it really is mostly  high volatility.  but price is to damn high and bitcoin will do its "high volatility" thing and we will go down fast and soon.

chrsjrcj

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 12:46:50 AM

It doesn't?

Giant @$$ cup and handle forming.
freequant

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 12:49:45 AM

If we get 8 more upward candlesticks, with some of them being larger than any we saw in April, then like I said, that would now put us in the early stages of a bubble.
Yeah no shit, you haven't got a spade unless it's at least a queen, and she must be smilling and attractive otherwise it doesn't count.
windjc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 12:51:04 AM

Yeah no shit, you haven't got a spade unless it's at least a queen, and she must be smilling and attractive otherwise it doesn't count.

No, what you have right now in your hand is "high volatility." No more no less.
notme
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 12:55:26 AM

No, what you have right now in your hand is "high volatility." No more no less.

Historically, volatility (as measured by standard deviation) is still very low on the weekly chart.  Daily's not even too bad yet Tongue.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 01:00:54 AM

It's a bubble on top of volatility on top of a steady increase.

official definition of bitcoin?

yup!

theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 01:22:37 AM

You know it's time to sell when people start acting delusional and thinking aloud that the Moon is made of cheese...

What??  Huh

Randomest post I've seen so far.

theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 01:24:09 AM

Giant @$$ cup and handle forming.

Doesn't that mean it'll have to go down to the base before we can have the final upward "handle"?

If so, I'm quite happy. Preferably it'll go down (at least on Bitstamp) to $150 Cheesy

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 01:24:17 AM

I like this description.
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 01:26:14 AM

What??  Huh

You mean you don't ever look at the moon and wonder if it's a giant wheel of Parmesan? Smiley
theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 01:29:33 AM

What??  Huh

You mean you don't ever look at the moon and wonder if it's a giant wheel of Parmesan? Smiley

So parmesan => Irrationality => Moon => 2 Da Moon => Bitcoin => Time to sell?

FNG

Activity: 588

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 01:30:19 AM

Much stronger base. a lot of people buying  since the last run-up don't intend to sell anytime soon.
BitcoinAshley

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 01:40:45 AM

Actually, the moon is not a cheese, it is a giant spaceship.

What, you haven't seen the videos of the conspiracy theorists and that experiment when NASA detonated charges on the moon and it reverberated as if it were hollow?

Grin Grin Grin 

EDIT: On topic: People will use the word "bubble" how they see fit. It's wholly irrelevant.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 01:56:17 AM

lol so true

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: