Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:40:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Xorg freezes - could be card malfunction?  (Read 776 times)
zard_cz (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 09:44:03 PM

Hi,
I have been happily mining with following setup almost a month without an issue:

- 6870 mining + powering display
- 5830 mining only
- Geforce 560Ti (no mining, only for CUDA work)

Other details: Gigabyte Z68X chipset, 4 gigs of ram, i5 processor.

The system has been running 24/7 for a month, the only change being improvement of airflow last week, before that the 6870 has been running between 70-80 and the 5830 around 88, after the change the 6870 runs at 66C and the 5830 at 75C.

All has been great, the screen has been used for occasional recipe lookup or weather check (the computer is in the kitchen). Two days ago I had a problem - the computer was not responding locally and remote login yielded that the Xorg process was eating 100% of a cpu (or more precisely, its core). If I issued a command to check the cards temperatures, it hang (understandably).

All was well after reboot again (not initially as I have screwed up the install before the problem by fiddling with boot options and the problem did not manifest itself until that crash/reboot). I have actually reinstalled the distro (ubuntu 11.04).

Could this be a failure of one of the cards? Or is it just bug with drivers? I am yet to discover if the freeze is related to activity at that machine - I will monitor it remotely now to see if it also hangs by itself or if it's somehow related to the monitor wakeup.

Thanks a lot!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: