Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:58:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Repurposing FPGA hashpower. Can it be done?  (Read 1669 times)
cableiso (OP)

Activity: 244
Merit: 280

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 04:14:27 AM

With the last few diff jumps, my 11GH FPGA rig is becoming an expensive heater.  But cycles are cycles, and the power of distributed computing is an undeniable lesson we can take from the mining explosion.  I've been writing some alternate bitstreams to play around with repurposing these things, and it got me wondering what kind of FPGA hashpower is really out there. 

I'm considering a kind of cloud computing center where we run alternate bitstreams, and are paid (in BTC, of course) for having our FPGA's do other chores on a massive scale.  The mechanics are all familiar - load bitstream and do work in a pool.  Pool pays per share on a shift basis.  Only difference is the work done is not simply hashing sha256, but whatever work people are willing to pay for.  You load the bitstream you want to do work for (or is most profitable), and the server doles out data and keeps the troops honest.

I'd like to answer a couple initial questions with an informal survey.  Please give a shout if you can.

1) Miners: If you own an fpga rig, what's your hashpower?  I'd love to know #of LX150's, but MH or GH of sha256 is good enough since other devices abound.  Is it online or off?  Would you still run your rig if it were kept above water by other income? 
Me?  I have acquired 62 LX150's in ZTEX and X6500's.  Not all in the best of shape, but alive.   They are up, and I'd be happy to run them until they die. 

2) Manufacturers: How much hashpower have you sold?  I'm running under the assumption that this endeavor could soon pay more than mining btc, so I'd like to know the estimated pool of resources that could be captured if properly motivated.  I guess we'll estimate +20% clones, unless anyone has a better idea of what the factories have been churning out after dark.  Smiley

3) Developers: Anyone like the idea of distributed computing just for the sake of doing it?  At ~3PH, I think the BTC network is safe.  If you read some of the journal papers on sequencing DNA and other jobs that would be deemed trivial by the hashpower we're discussing, would you consider jumping in on these goals?  Porting to other platforms is an especially important task that's too big for one small team.

4) Idealists: Sure, we could "test" the security of any number of algorithms or protocols.  And there might be a fair bit of that.  But if you consider how many networked FPGAs are out there, the distributed computing power is simply staggering.  What would you use it for?  Throw out your wildest ideas, let's see what sticks.

Overall, I envision this project to be: voluntary, open-source, and cooperative.  This bitcoin thing grew from a bunch of people sucking up spare CPU cycles to taping out 28nm ASICs in just a handful of years.  What else could be done?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Supercomputing

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 07:55:41 PM

Sounds interesting. What alternate bitstreams do you have?

I currently have about 203 GH/s in FPGA's for SHA-256

Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
http://www.eecs.mit.edu/
cableiso (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 09:42:05 PM

I first ported the NSA@home core to the LX150, and it looks like multiple core instances will probably fit.  There's a second side project with SHA1, and lately I've been digging up more and more on DNA sequencing.  The only problem with that application is it's somewhat high IO bandwidth, so something will have to be done along the lines of compression in order to not throttle the core with narrow IO.
Supercomputing

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 10:06:47 PM

Have you looked into the Certicom ECC Challenges, I think that they will be a good fit for FPGAs
http://www.certicom.com/index.php/the-certicom-ecc-challenge

I have an Nvidia GTX 580 (Fermi) implementation of ECCP-131 which does about 350 million iterations per second, which is currently the best implementation out there. An FPGA implementation of ECC2K-130 would be more efficient. Would this be something that you are interested in?

Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
http://www.eecs.mit.edu/
aTg
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 11:00:38 PM

Sure everyone loves the idea, but people need something that works to begin giving support, I have also a few Spartan6 LX150.
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 11:15:33 PM

The first thing to do to make it happen is to make a foundation similar to mozilla or other opensource foundation, develop applications which the base calculations are SHA scripts, it could be file compression software, rendering software or whatever it is.

Provide the service as a cloud, then make it available to the masses. Then you would receive enormous  contributions from developers and users.

So the best place to start this is Opensource. Smiley
cableiso (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 03:11:39 AM

@balanghai, aTg - Agreed.  Open source.  Unfortunately the server side is (to me) the lower priority.  It will be some time before a full-featured cloud server is available for people to take a taste.  Probably I will grow this thing organically through a smaller number of private servers serving barebones protocols initially.  Once the guts work, I don't feel it's very hard to wrap it in a shiny cover.  But the guts have to be proven.  I will keep the progress as transparent as I can.

@supercomputing - I don't know jack about ecc, although on your mention I have found some intriguing works that make the proposition very interesting.  From what I can tell, this is a very achievable goal given some private discussions I've had about how many hash boards are out there (let's just say it's well north of 1T of SHA256).  The one drawback is that it will be pro bono until the challenge is solved.  I'm happy to split the (assumed) prize based on publicly displayed shares per user, but the question is - can we convince the other 1T that a payoff will indeed occur?  I'm sending you a PM, let's talk about this a little more.

rushramia

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 04:08:35 PM

Have you guys made any progress on this? I'm interested in this idea.  I can contribute to any software development efforts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: