Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:00:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Peer-To-Peer Currency Exchange and Transport System Using Confidence Chains  (Read 1261 times)
bluemeanie1 (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 05:55:24 AM

ABSTRACT

In this paper we describe a system for the exchange of assets(currencies) that is decentralized, meaning that 1) it has no central point of failure 2) critical decisions are determined by democratic consensus.  This basic mechanism can also be adapted to use as an asset transport system akin to Western Union.  It offers us some unique advantages. 1) the exchange can span legal jurisdictions, creating an extra-national digital assets marketplace 2) no central point of control thus enhancing the credibility of the exchange.  Most importantly, it is possible to construct account ledgers that can endure any legal offensives save international accords.  This system builds on the Confidence Chains Algorithm described in an earlier paper[1].

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cKlN55wX7n0SLvxidLoFVrJnNMJO-Iefr8bVyeHBseg/edit?usp=sharing

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
adam3us
expert

Activity: 404
Merit: 360

in bitcoin we trust

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 04:31:31 PM

ABSTRACT

In this paper we describe a system for the exchange of assets(currencies) that is decentralized, meaning that 1) it has no central point of failure 2) critical decisions are determined by democratic consensus.  

Doesnt this have the same problem as ripple?  How do you assign confidence.  I believe pragmatically ripple is assigning confidence based on external business relationships with gateways.

Plus some manual trust links by individuals.

In either case this is either vulnerable to systematic sybil attacks, or legal attacks to the gateways, where because consensus has no mining security, they can be ordered to undo history.

When that happens it damages fungibility, and introduces dispute cost and defensive reputation management cost into the transaction layer, and fraud cost when those best-effort mechanisms fail, and then you are back to the status quo.  ie there is a reason businesses go to equifax, and that credit cards are expensive, beyond banks having regulation costs and high margins due to barriers to entry: paying for the above reputation evaluation counter-measures and fraud costs.

Adam

hashcash, committed transactions, homomorphic values, blind kdf; researching decentralization, scalability and fungibility/anonymity
bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 05:54:38 PM

ABSTRACT

In this paper we describe a system for the exchange of assets(currencies) that is decentralized, meaning that 1) it has no central point of failure 2) critical decisions are determined by democratic consensus.  

Doesnt this have the same problem as ripple?  How do you assign confidence.  I believe pragmatically ripple is assigning confidence based on external business relationships with gateways.

The system does appear to have some usability similarities to Ripple, but most importantly there is no XRP like commodity currency(although users can build in tx fees if they want).  Also it has many structural similarities to Bitcoin and doesn't require major rethinking to get underneath the UI level, so presumably it has more appeal to the Bitcoin crowd.  It's also fairly simple to implement.  Ripple was another one of those kind of projects that started off one way, and ended another due to the influence of VC.

The Confidence is a more generalized definition than PoW.  It can be used in a number of different ways.  Initially, the Confidence settings will be STATIC and BOUNDED(a predetermined set of notary nodes).  What this gives you is a multi-owner exchange that cannot be disabled without disabling every node.  Also the trades must abide by the consensus rules, you cannot get this by sticking orders in the BTC block chain.  Far superior to Mt. Gox or similar services.  I don't attempt to solve the 'unbounded consensus' problem.  There are other ways to derive confidence values, for instance membership in a social network.  I have not really explored these aspects much.

a good background paper by Ben Laurie: http://www.links.org/files/decentralised-currencies.pdf

There is a pretty good thread explaining some of these points here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=220155.new;topicseen#new , if you have the time to get into it.

Plus some manual trust links by individuals.

In either case this is either vulnerable to systematic sybil attacks, or legal attacks to the gateways, where because consensus has no mining security, they can be ordered to undo history.

there is no unbounded consensus.  There are no party crashers, no generalized participation thus it is not subject to sybil attacks.

the fact that the Issuers MUST HONOR THE LEDGER TO REIMBURSE, gives us an additional factor to rely on here.  Bitcoin was designed to be a currency without backing and without ownership.  We have shifted the goal to 'asset index' or 'bearer shares' (I think thats the term you used).  This allows us to safely remove PoW because ultimately we must use a ledger which is honored by the issuer.  This is discussed here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=220155.new;topicseen#new

It's a subtle difference in requirements that results in a major change in architecture.

-bm

adam3us
expert

Activity: 404
Merit: 360

in bitcoin we trust

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 07:04:26 PM

the fact that the Issuers MUST HONOR THE LEDGER TO REIMBURSE,

I disagree with that as the main assmption and use case.  Most share trading is done via buying and selling, not via redemption (share buy-backs).  I made some more elaborated comments on this thread you pointed to now about the additional value PoW provides for shares:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=220155.new;topicseen#new

It's a subtle difference in requirements that results in a major change in architecture.

I encourage re-examining requirements, its a habit of mine also, and that is often how improvements are made.  However I think you maybe missed some use cases for PoW/block chain security in share trading.

Adam

hashcash, committed transactions, homomorphic values, blind kdf; researching decentralization, scalability and fungibility/anonymity
bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 09:50:31 PM

the fact that the Issuers MUST HONOR THE LEDGER TO REIMBURSE,

I disagree with that as the main assmption and use case.  Most share trading is done via buying and selling, not via redemption (share buy-backs).  I made some more elaborated comments on this thread you pointed to now about the additional value PoW provides for shares:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=220155.new;topicseen#new

I encourage re-examining requirements, its a habit of mine also, and that is often how improvements are made.  However I think you maybe missed some use cases for PoW/block chain security in share trading.

Adam

a thorough reply is at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=220155.new;topicseen#new

what use cases would that be?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: