Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:51:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bubble Popped  (Read 7797 times)
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 11:07:36 AM

I am confused.
Do bubble pops usually include buying at new highs?
That's what Bitstamp did just a few moments ago.
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 11:11:29 AM

I am confused.
Do bubble pops usually include buying at new highs?
That's what's Bitstamp did just a few moments ago.
LOL
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 11:16:32 AM

Bitstamp always does this after every flash crash - someone fires a 3,000btc market order into the space with no depth, and buys it higher than it originally was.  Lesson learned... always have a sell order up there. Then immediately rebuy for a 15% profit when it's over...
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 11:49:04 AM

Bitstamp always does this after every flash crash - someone fires a 3,000btc market order into the space with no depth, and buys it higher than it originally was.  Lesson learned... always have a sell order up there. Then immediately rebuy for a 15% profit when it's over...
Damn, I could have made a 50-60% profit with the dip and now this slip...
Rival

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 12:23:40 PM

The only thing that really happened was that some folks who think bitcoin is just another market that you use Wall Street strategies for got their clocks cleaned.

The only people selling at $160 and $155 were wonks and day-traders that had stuck in stop-loss orders. Now when they wake up in the morning, they can look at their balances, and then climb back into bed and cry into their pillows because they got their pockets picked.

Bitcoin trading is not Wall Street, and if you try that crap eventually you will get eaten.
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 02:07:25 PM

The only thing that really happened was that some folks who think bitcoin is just another market that you use Wall Street strategies for got their clocks cleaned.

The only people selling at $160 and $155 were wonks and day-traders that had stuck in stop-loss orders. Now when they wake up in the morning, they can look at their balances, and then climb back into bed and cry into their pillows because they got their pockets picked.

Bitcoin trading is not Wall Street, and if you try that crap eventually you will get eaten.

+1

I woke up this morning and it's the same price it was yesterday morning.

What bubble, OP?

Seems more like a classic bear trap to me, and you caught yo' foot caught  Grin Grin Grin
mccorvic

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 02:12:27 PM

+1

I woke up this morning and it's the same price it was yesterday morning.

What bubble, OP?

Seems more like a classic bear trap to me, and you caught yo' foot caught  Grin Grin Grin

Same experience here. 

Looking back, the dip is pretty deep.  The quick recovery encourages me as a perma-long-term-bull.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 04:17:05 PM

Looks like the price per BTC is plummeting and I am thrilled I sold half my coins at $196 (https://coinbase.com/charts).  Bought at $123-132. Super exciting! Saw the moving average analysis moving huge numbers around midnight my time and I was like screw it. It's too unstable. Extreme volatility. And sold half of my coins.
Price is now 205-215 USD. Super exciting!
Ipsum

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 04:50:18 PM

It's no different than trading anything else - there is no formula, and most traders, including professionals, end up failing to beat the market.

BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 04:57:58 PM

I got a feeling experienced traders are playing games with you lot.
Think I'll keep my coins safety in cold storage.
Wise words.  Unlike the OP's words.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 05:01:11 PM

One thing "high frequency traders" never seem to grasp ... is that they could have 10x the money if they weren't such adrenaline junkies.

Great.  You made a little cash by selling over half your coin stash. 

You claim you'll buy when it dips again.

Unfortunately, it will never dip to $60 again ... like it did a few months ago.

Now dips will be higher, and higher, and higher.

And you will continue buying and selling ... and making your minimal $ ...

Meanwhile, the dude who bought at 60 and held till $1,000 is the true winner.

All that coin you made in your high frequency trading will be gone, no doubt spent ... and you'll have nothing to show for it in 5 years.

While the guy who bought at 60 and held is buying a porsche with 1 coin.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
hyphymikey

Activity: 784

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 05:15:53 PM

One thing "high frequency traders" never seem to grasp ... is that they could have 10x the money if they weren't such adrenaline junkies.

All that coin you made in your high frequency trading will be gone, no doubt spent ... and you'll have nothing to show for it in 5 years.

Bought my first Porsche when I was 16 because I knew what I was doing.

6 years later I still know what I'm doing.

Bitcoins do not compound. Nor did I make 'little' cash. I see percentages. Numbers are relative.

You don't understand money. Especially how to make more of it.

You "seem" to know what you are doing, but good luck to you! Bitcoin is different than anything you've traded before, all it takes is one whale to make a random move, then bam, you are screwed. You either didn't see it coming and didn't get to buy back in, or you forgot to sell, sell on the way down, then it immediately corrects, both losing you "percentages". Keep your eyes wide open, because what you know, does not apply, you just got lucky last night, don't try to say anything otherwise.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 05:17:04 PM

This isn't over yet just a micro correction
Watches as statement fails gloriously in a few days XD
(Bitcoin well the bubble hasn't really popped yet whistle)

I got a feeling experienced traders are playing games with you lot.
Think I'll keep my coins safety in cold storage.
If others want them they will have to pay me more for them, not less. A *lot* more.

That said I do agree with buffer

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
BitcoinAshley

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 05:20:06 PM

Bitcoins do not compound. Nor did I make 'little' cash. I see percentages. Numbers are relative.

Does that explain why, looking at your strategy, I've made thousands of % more than you have on bitcoin? Yet you "see percents" and "understand money?" Nice try.

By the way, dick-swinging on the internet means absolutely nothing. Look: "I bought a lamborghini when I was 12..." does that count? Again, nice try Grin Grin Grin
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 05:47:37 PM

Does that explain why, looking at your strategy, I've made thousands of % more than you have on bitcoin? Yet you "see percents" and "understand money?" Nice try.

By the way, dick-swinging on the internet means absolutely nothing. Look: "I bought a lamborghini when I was 12..." does that count? Again, nice try Grin Grin Grin

Nah, I know him, he's not lying he really did buy a Porsche.  He just didn't tell you what it looked like.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 03:49:41 PM

We may have had a correction, but the rally isn't over yet!

antimattercrusader

Activity: 308

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 04:47:41 PM

I'm representing! Every service based or mom/pop business I go into I am preaching it!

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
Hfleer

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:17:36 PM

Well it was quite a drop, and I wasn't happy to see it.  But it's fairly typical for Bitcoin lately.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
sunsofdust

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:31:37 PM

www.currentbitcoinvalue.org is showing a slow and steady decline in Bitcoin value for all the major exchanges.  How far will it go?  Anyone willing to speculate on what a good price would be to start buying back in?
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:36:53 PM

Well it was quite a drop, and I wasn't happy to see it.  But it's fairly typical for Bitcoin lately.
Hey it's just like coming down from an acid trip. No ones happy about it.
I suppose that depends how much of your portfolio is in dollars, and whether your bids filled on the way down.  Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: