Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:31:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When did fees become mandatory?  (Read 2518 times)
manuel (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 10:05:21 AM

I have my settings set to 0 for fees... yet still I get this, why?

So now I have a small balance I can never remove from a wallet?

Hey I know it's worthless... but what was worthless a few years ago is now really worth something.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 10:09:41 AM

set bitcoin.conf

manuel (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 10:24:28 AM

How?  WHat do I set?
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 12:58:11 PM

fees have been mandatory for a very long time except for 'priority' transactions when block is < 27000 bytes.

these still exist

if you're trying to send some amount below a certain threshold it's doubtful any mining pool would ever pick it up,  so you still wouldnt be able to send it.  maybe run your own p2pool or something
manuel (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 01:05:21 PM

How?  WHat do I set?
there is a file called bitcoin.conf in your appdata.

Yes there is but what do I change in it/add to it?

Why can I do this if fees are mandatory?

domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1166

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 02:59:30 PM

How?  WHat do I set?

You want to add this line:
Code:
paytxfee=0.00

However, as already explained, this only works if the client believes your transaction will be mined without a fee (if its priority is high enough).  If not, it "mandatorily" includes the fee.  This is, however, only a thing the client does - fees are not mandatory from a protocol point of view, as long as you find a miner that is willing to include your transaction in a block for free.  This worked for me in tests most of the time as long as the total you send is large enough, you don't spend too many dust outputs at once, and you have a few hours to wait in case it takes so long.

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 03:58:17 PM

there's a "no forced transaction fee" fork that removes all fee requirements. if you use it, please don't come back asking why your transaction has not confirmed.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 05:18:21 PM

How?  WHat do I set?

Why can I do this if fees are mandatory?

Fees aren't mandatory to send a transaction.

DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 05:26:58 PM

Fees aren't mandatory, the client just forces them so that your transactions actually get confirmed in a realistic time-frame.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
manuel (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 10:01:22 AM
Last edit: November 07, 2013, 10:24:57 AM by manuel

It's kind of lame that the standard client does this even if you go out of your way to specify no fees both in the settings AND in the .conf file.  I mean wtf?  Let people put no fees if they want.  This is supposed to be free market.  If their transactions don't get processed because of it so be it.  Who cares?

What if the .0003 BTC really becomes worth something some day?  Consider there are 6 billion plus ounces of gold and those are valued at $1300+, then consider there will only ever be 21 million bitcoins.  .0003 might not be something you just throw away.

If you have to download some special non-standard client to get the client to actually believe you when you say "NO FEES" then they effectively are mandatory.
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 12:17:15 PM

OK, fees aren't mandatory, but these aren't the days where your 0 fee non-priority transaction will get processed unless you have a pre-arranged agreement with some pool or have a sufficient amount of mining power yourself to find a block

What if the .0003 BTC really becomes worth something some day?
Then the standard fee would be lowered, I'm sure
manuel (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 01:51:07 PM

OK, fees aren't mandatory, but these aren't the days where your 0 fee non-priority transaction will get processed unless you have a pre-arranged agreement with some pool or have a sufficient amount of mining power yourself to find a block

What if the .0003 BTC really becomes worth something some day?
Then the standard fee would be lowered, I'm sure

I feel like in a true free market situation people should be able to set their own fee and not have something hard coded in the client that over rides their decision.  I mean they could have a warning that says "your transaction probably will not be processed if you don't make it more than X" but hard coding it is wrong.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 01:55:59 PM

I feel like in a true free market situation people should be able to set their own fee and not have something hard coded in the client that over rides their decision.  I mean they could have a warning that says "your transaction probably will not be processed if you don't make it more than X" but hard coding it is wrong.
A planned feature for 0.9 is for the client to watch the network to determine what the market for fees is, and give you an accurate estimate of how long it will take to confirm your transaction based on the fee you attach.
VeeMiner

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 01:56:48 PM

I can hardly believe that someone is so cheap that he doesn't want to pay 0.3 mBTC transfer fee.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:03:15 PM

I can hardly believe that someone is so cheap that he doesn't want to pay 0.3 mBTC transfer fee.

Yeah, but it will be worth something some day.  Why should someone else profit from Bitcoin, it should be against the law.  I wish that were funny and ridiculous, but it is the sign of our times, sadly.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
manuel (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:08:13 PM

Yeah, but it will be worth something some day.  Why should someone else profit from Bitcoin, it should be against the law.  I wish that were funny and ridiculous, but it is the sign of our times, sadly.

"I can hardly believe there is someone so cheap they don't want to pay 1 BTC" somebody might have said not long ago.

The whole concept of free market, peer to peer, no central, authority obviously eludes both of you.  If a person specifies a fee lower than what the market will bear, tough shit for them.  They can raise it or not do business.  A minimum dictated fee of any amount is wrong.

If you make lots of transactions that can add up - or if the price of BTC keeps rising pretty soon it will cost more than something like this (https://www.dwolla.com/) for example.  It already does if you want to send less than $10 USD.  $10 USD still buys shit, although admittedly not for long.
Eternity

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:15:57 PM

Whats the maximum transaction fee to be incurred for any amount ?
manuel (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:20:16 PM

Whats the maximum transaction fee to be incurred for any amount ?

I don't think there is a maximum - I think you can specify as much as you want...?

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 03:16:52 PM

The whole concept of free market, peer to peer, no central, authority obviously eludes both of you.  If a person specifies a fee lower than what the market will bear, tough shit for them.  They can raise it or not do business.  A minimum dictated fee of any amount is wrong.

The minimum fee prevents the sort of problems you are complaining about in a different thread:

I have never seen this before and I don't understand what's going on.  I received a payment almost exactly 3 hours ago as of now.  My Bitcoin client says it's up to date, in sync and connected to 15 active connections.  Yet this payment received 3 hours ago says it has zero confirmations.  How can this be?  How can I fix it?

My debug window says that the last block I got is 266592 which agrees with what blockchain.info is swaying the latest block is right now.

Several possibilities. Need more information to assist.

Can you either post the transactionID or the receiving address?

I actually posted my response in another thread by accident.  It was almost certainly due to no fees.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 04:13:22 PM

"I can hardly believe there is someone so cheap they don't want to pay 1 BTC" somebody might have said not long ago.

When was a transaction fee ever 1 BTC?

Bitcoin counts on Transaction fees to exist.  No transaction fees No Bitcoin.  That's all there is to it.

Nobody is making you pay transaction fees.  If you are patient and you don't need you dust right away there is nothing wrong with not paying the fee.  Someone will eventually include it in their block.

If you make lots of transactions that can add up - or if the price of BTC keeps rising pretty soon it will cost more than something like this (https://www.dwolla.com/) for example.  It already does if you want to send less than $10 USD.  $10 USD still buys shit, although admittedly not for long.

Doesn't Western Union charge a fee to transfer money?  What's the difference?

At some point there will be no Block Reward so the ONLY incentive to keep mining is to collect transaction fees.  If there is no mining the whole thing just breaks down.
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: