Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:03:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: STOP!!! Do not buy that new ASIC ! And here's why...  (Read 15474 times)
timk225 (OP)

Activity: 955
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 03:44:25 PM
Last edit: October 24, 2013, 04:14:35 PM by timk225

I was just looking at the KNC site for their various miners, the high end Jupiter model hashes 550 Ghash for $4,995.00 .

I'm telling you, DO NOT BUY ONE OF ANY MODEL!

Why?  Simple economics.  Run the numbers with me:

At current BTC difficulty of 267 million, you'll get 1.03 BTC per day.  In a couple days when the difficulty jumps to ~400 million, you will only get 0.69 BTC per day.  And it'll only get worse as the difficulty continues to rise!

BTC is at $215.00 right now, and assuming it stays there (which it won't), and assuming you are mining 0.69 BTC per day (which will fall more and more), you'd have to mine for at least 34 days to break even, and if the BTC price drops, it'll be much longer.

If BTC dropped to $100, and assuming again that you were still somehow getting 0.69 BTC at the 400 million difficulty, which will rise, your break even time is now 72 days or longer.

And this does not take into account shipping costs or electricity costs.

And WHEN the difficulty rises, it'll be much longer.

Do you really want to be on pins and needles for 3 months or more, praying that your foolish purchase at least breaks even, much less makes a profit?

Save yourself the headache.

If you're that desperate to throw money away, PM me for my PayPal address.  

And I really had to LOL at how they list the Saturn version as the "more affordable" model.  50% of the hash rate for 60% of the price -- you're already losing money relative to buying the Jupiter version!

And this is not a rip on KNC specifically, this goes for any ASIC built by anyone.
Seccour
Legendary

Activity: 1619

Bitcoiner, Crypto-anarchist and Cypherpunk.

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 03:51:53 PM

Why not ? If we have money to loose ? Wink

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1091

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 06:27:08 PM

No more mining means no more Bitcoin.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 06:41:57 PM

People who say don't mine should have to do full disclosure as to what their current hashrate is. Lots of miners may see discouraging others as a way to try and sustain the value of their mining endeavor.
timk225 (OP)

Activity: 955

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 06:47:31 PM

Okay, here's my full disclosure:

I don't mine BitCoin, I'm not an idiot throwing hashpower at a futile cause with no hope of profit.  I mine LiteCoin.  And I just sold off most of my GPUs and will probably stop mining altogether soon and sit on my 200 LTC and wait for the price to rise.

My GPUs were pimping 4500 Khash in LTC recently, now I have about 1200 Khash still online.

I used to mine BTC back when the difficulty was about 11 million to 20 million, then I finally got CGMiner working and switched over to LTC.
Magazine

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 06:49:10 PM

I don't mine BitCoin, I'm not an idiot throwing hashpower at a futile cause with no hope of profit.  I mine LiteCoin.  And I just sold off most of my GPUs and will probably stop mining altogether soon and sit on my 200 LTC and wait for the price to rise.

Ouch, you only made 200 LTC from your whole mining operation?
bitcoiner49er

Activity: 457
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 07:01:07 PM

No more mining means no more Bitcoin.

If and when the hashrate levels off AND there are in-stock ASICs for reasonable prices, then the mining may make sense.

I don't know if this will ever happen though. Most ASIC producers have either been late and taken away mining profits, or been savvy and priced their equipment above possible mining profits. There have been a few that beat the rise in hash and delivered within a timeframe, but not many.
The ASIC producers can figure out what their chips hash and what to sell them for, or for how long to mine. Gone are the days of AMD cards made by a company that didn't really care about hashing and sold them in their performance tiers. Why would an ASIC manufacturer sell their chips for less than they can mine?

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 08:02:46 PM

My GPUs were pimping 4500 Khash in LTC recently, now I have about 1200 Khash still online.

I used to mine BTC back when the difficulty was about 11 million to 20 million, then I finally got CGMiner working and switched over to LTC.

at least you do something good  Grin

BadAss.Sx
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Bulletproof VPS/VPN/Email @ BadAss.Sx

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 08:34:50 PM

In a couple days when the difficulty jumps to ~400 million

I can't wait for that day, because that means the Bitcoin will raise up again in worth. And more and more to come.

What a lovely world it is
Kokomoka

Activity: 115

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 08:59:12 PM

If you find it profitable to mine, then mine.

If you don't find it profitable, then don't mine.

The "invisible hand of the market" will take care of everything else.
StewieG

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 09:23:27 PM

Well, maybe you should also take into consideration that, after you returned your investment, you have a machine worth a few thousand dollar which you can sell afterwards...
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 09:28:55 PM

In a couple days when the difficulty jumps to ~400 million

I can't wait for that day, because that means the Bitcoin will raise up again in worth. And more and more to come.

What a lovely world it is
Difficulty has nothing to do with the price.
Why hasn't nobody understood this yet..

Just like an empty gold mine didn't raise the price of gold during the gold rush.

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 09:31:15 PM

If you find it profitable to mine, then mine.

If you don't find it profitable, then don't mine.

The "invisible hand of the market" will take care of everything else.
Since ROI is almost surely impossible, it's better to stay away from it for now.

Then feel free to stay away then.

Let the rest of us hash in peace.

StewieG

Activity: 532

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 09:53:10 PM

Well, maybe you should also take into consideration that, after you returned your investment, you have a machine worth a few thousand dollar which you can sell afterwards...
So ignorant!
a 100 GH/s miner for example will not even be worth half it's current price in 6-12 months.
Maybe 1/10th of it's value.
Looks like we have fortune teller here, I love that, can you also predict the bitcoin price for next week? PM plz... Wink
Just saying It is not all about the ROI when considering to buy a miner...
Exdeus

Activity: 120

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 10:15:41 PM

i paid 10 pink sheep for 550 Ghash and i will never see a ROI because my 550 Ghash mines BTC not pink sheep...

what do i say to that

baaaa!

► FREE Cryptocurrency◄ ♦ FREE Cryptocurrency  ♦ ►  FREE Cryptocurrency◄
───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●─[   Click HERE For FREE DOGE   ]─●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───
lajz99

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 11:28:50 PM

How many of these threads do we need?   Huh

balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 11:35:50 PM

That's where cex comes in handy at BTC0.082/Gh/s and deploys instantly as cloud miner, you have the option to sell the share so you both got the mining profit + the share which would then be a win+win situation when worst comes to worst.

You can check my sig for cex though.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 12:18:50 AM

How many of these threads do we need?   Huh

Threads on what?  Stop mining, ROI or Pink Sheep?

cowandtea

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 01:03:06 AM

I was just looking at the KNC site for their various miners, the high end Jupiter model hashes 550 Ghash for $4,995.00 .

I'm telling you, DO NOT BUY ONE OF ANY MODEL!

Why?  Simple economics.  Run the numbers with me:

At current BTC difficulty of 267 million, you'll get 1.03 BTC per day.  In a couple days when the difficulty jumps to ~400 million, you will only get 0.69 BTC per day.  And it'll only get worse as the difficulty continues to rise!

BTC is at $215.00 right now, and assuming it stays there (which it won't), and assuming you are mining 0.69 BTC per day (which will fall more and more), you'd have to mine for at least 34 days to break even, and if the BTC price drops, it'll be much longer.

If BTC dropped to $100, and assuming again that you were still somehow getting 0.69 BTC at the 400 million difficulty, which will rise, your break even time is now 72 days or longer.

And this does not take into account shipping costs or electricity costs.

And WHEN the difficulty rises, it'll be much longer.

Do you really want to be on pins and needles for 3 months or more, praying that your foolish purchase at least breaks even, much less makes a profit?

Save yourself the headache.

If you're that desperate to throw money away, PM me for my PayPal address.  

And I really had to LOL at how they list the Saturn version as the "more affordable" model.  50% of the hash rate for 60% of the price -- you're already losing money relative to buying the Jupiter version!

And this is not a rip on KNC specifically, this goes for any ASIC built by anyone.

Its a gamble, some people are thinking the difficulty would slow down Smiley

mo_mo

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 02:05:29 AM

this is the best way to find out for yourself
http://www.btcinvest.net
mining calculator- better to just buy btc and hold then miners
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: