Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:18:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TradeHill - Dwolla is being scammed and reversing transactions  (Read 19150 times)
Jered Kenna (TradeHill) (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 02:10:12 AM
Last edit: July 26, 2011, 02:24:15 AM by Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Please see our blog post here: http://tradehillblog.com/2011/07/25/tradehill-audit-discovers-dwolla-transactions-are-reversible/ for a walkthrough of the transaction.

We would like to work with Dwolla and find a way to prevent this in the future. Hopefully the same thing hasn't happened on other exchanges.
Dwolla has been scammed out of at least $37,000 by our records and we have prevented another $27,000.

The latest updates can be found on www.tradehillblog.com

The individual listed is a confirmed scammer and most likely not their real name.
We have 17 other documented examples.

To sum it up: Dwolla sends out CSV files and emails stating that a payment has been credited. Several days later they remove the funds without mentioning anything to the merchant (TradeHill in this case).
We will continue to provide withdrawals through Dwolla and our users will be able to access all of their funds within TradeHill.

Jered

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 02:17:28 AM

Any response from Dwolla yet?

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 02:22:41 AM

Any response from Dwolla yet?

None. We're looking forward to working with them and resolving this issue.
The idea of Dwolla is great but if transactions are reversible that changes things.
If they're not reversible then they shouldn't be advertised as so on their site here (bottom): http://www.dwolla.org/blog/retail-merchants-rejoice-web-kiosk-online/

Jered

moneyandtech.com
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 02:27:00 AM

What information has Dwolla provided you about this transaction? Specifically, what information about whoever claimed that it was fraudulent and what explanation they gave? IMO, you are entitled to a signed affidavit and a police report at the very least.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 02:31:25 AM

What information has Dwolla provided you about this transaction? Specifically, what information about whoever claimed that it was fraudulent and what explanation they gave? IMO, you are entitled to a signed affidavit and a police report at the very least.

Essentially none. We were told that it wouldn't go from "credited" to not credited and to download a new CSV. They told us that the user had their account suspended and that was the end of it.
They did confirm that the funds were not actually sent (despite being credited). We were unable to get any more information.

Jered

moneyandtech.com
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 02:37:32 AM

Essentially none. We were told that it wouldn't go from "credited" to not credited and to download a new CSV. They told us that the user had their account suspended and that was the end of it.
They did confirm that the funds were not actually sent (despite being credited). We were unable to get any more information.
I hope Dwolla promptly acknowledges and corrects their mistake. Otherwise, their reputation is going to go to near-zero pretty quickly. They should reimburse you for whatever the actual amount of your loss was.

"Remember, these are cash-based transactions! No credit card fees, chargeback concerns, or signing necessary!" - Dwolla

Smalleyster

Activity: 84

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 02:45:38 AM

Their reputation is currently 0 with me unless and until this gets resolved.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
The_JMiner

Activity: 70

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 03:14:38 AM

Wow good thing I have not recommended Dwolla yet, I was raving about it with a few people but now F*ck that.

jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 03:30:20 AM

Hello - first of all, this is horrible news, and I hope it is resolved very soon. We're behind you 100%.

I am still unclear on 2 issues you mentioned.
1) Does Dwolla owe you guys any money? Have you lost any funds after reversals?
2) You said your blog post was going to walk us through how this happened, but I only see that it did happen, not how they/you were scammed. First the funds in the transaction you got were confirmed and then they were reversed. Do you know how the scammer got his transfer confirmed in the first place?

Best wishes.

TeraPool

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 03:30:42 AM

So how and why did this happen to tradehill and not mtgox?

Surely the "scammer" would attempt to defraud the largest, already-proven-to-be-incompetent exchange, no?
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 03:42:58 AM

Surely the "scammer" would attempt to defraud the largest, already-proven-to-be-incompetent exchange, no?
It's possible Mt. Gox had the same thing happen and didn't notice. As I understand what they're saying, Dwolla just changed the status back to unpaid and took the money without any notification. If you weren't looking for something like that, you might not notice until some time later when you tried to balance the books.

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 03:42:58 AM

Hello - first of all, this is horrible news, and I hope it is resolved very soon. We're behind you 100%.

I am still unclear on 2 issues you mentioned.
1) Does Dwolla owe you guys any money? Have you lost any funds after reversals?
2) You said your blog post was going to walk us through how this happened, but I only see that it did happen, not how they/you were scammed. First the funds in the transaction you got were confirmed and then they were reversed. Do you know how the scammer got his transfer confirmed in the first place?

Best wishes.

1) $37,000  lost roughly, we caught another $27,000 and prevented it from leaving.
2) I should clarify that, when Dwolla credited the account the user bought BTC and moved it out.

Thank you for your support! Hopefully Dwolla will do the right thing and reimburse this.

It's impossible to guess why they would attack TradeHill and not Mt Gox.  I see no reason they wouldn't try. I hope they haven't. It's possible that they stopped after we caught them and this is the end of it.
We're going to have to wait and see what comes of this. It's going to be very interesting to say the least.

Jered

moneyandtech.com
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 03:44:50 AM

Has Mt. Gox reported in to this forum on this subject (as have some of the other exchanges) and I missed it?  I am quite interested in their experiences here.  One would anticipate that being a larger exchange with no obvious means of discouraging scammers beyond the rest, they would have been vexed by the same issues.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 03:49:20 AM

Has Mt. Gox reported in to this forum on this subject (as have some of the other exchanges) and I missed it?  I am quite interested in their experiences here.  One would anticipate that being a larger exchange with no obvious means of discouraging scammers beyond the rest, they would have been vexed by the same issues.

He's spoken on IRC and said publicly that they haven't experienced any loses. We've spoken some in private and I won't quote anything else. I'll allow him to speak for himself and see where we go from here.

Jered

moneyandtech.com
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 03:58:45 AM

first GOXED, now DWOLLA'D.

newMeat1

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 05:39:03 AM

That sucks that Tradehill got hit with this. Dwolla should be very motivated to set it straight, or I won't be using their service again.

tonygal

Activity: 560
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 05:43:17 AM

2) I should clarify that, when Dwolla credited the account the user bought BTC and moved it out.

Jered

Jered - quick question.  How exactly did Dwolla take this money back from you?  Did they take it from your account balance with Dwolla?  And how long after the transfer IN was it taken back OUT?
sequence

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 05:45:02 AM

Quite frankly Dwolla needs to hire more competent people!

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 05:49:20 AM

Jered

Jered - quick question.  How exactly did Dwolla take this money back from you?  Did they take it from your account balance with Dwolla?  And how long after the transfer IN was it taken back OUT?

The transfers simply changed from credited to pending and the funds were removed from our account. They were most likely taken out after 3 or 4 days.  There were 17 instances and they varied.

Jered

moneyandtech.com
interfect

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 06:07:02 AM

Maybe the scammers were buying on TradeHill with fraudulent Dwolla money, and selling on Mt. Gox. It would be kind of silly to try and sell BTC that you stole from an exchange on the same exchange.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: