News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should Satoshi come Forward?
Yes
No

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should the Creator of Bitcoin come forward?  (Read 5938 times)
BitcoinBarrel (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 02:26:47 PM

I was thinking the other day how different Bitcoin would be today if Satoshi or whoever created Bitcoin came forward and took credit. If there were one person to answer questions and explain the benefits of using Bitcoin it might've caught on quicker.

On the other hand, I was also thinking about the possibility that the true creator of Bitcoin is dead or murdered. If Satoshi actually chose to remain anonymous then it would make it that much easier for him to be killed without anyone knowing. If he were famous then his every move would be watched.

Or what if it was not a single person that started Bitcoin, but a group of individuals with their own secret motives. Why would they chose to remain anonymous and for what purpose?

Regardless, it is strange that the public does not know who is behind the fastest growing digital currency in the world. What do you think?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 02:39:38 PM

We are behind the fastest growing digital currency in the world.

It doesn't matter who Satoshi is.

Alty

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

RISE Project Manager

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 03:10:41 PM

I can understand why the creator has not come forward, for obvious reasons, but Bitcoin imo would be taken much more seriously to the majority of big investors if the creator was at least contactable. So I vote, yes!
p2pbucks

Activity: 642

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 03:13:51 PM

Grin Right
Inedible

Activity: 700

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 03:17:50 PM

I'm with adamstgBit - it really doesn't matter who he is.

If anything - it'll lead to instability. Right now we've no idea who he is. He's almost godlike (not necessarily a good thing).

If we discover he's just a human being who eats, defecates, parties, cries, farts and is altogether human - we might just find a way to discredit Bitcoin  because we disagree with him being a Mormon or that he enjoys deer hunting, etc.

Better we leave things as they are, that way Bitcoin stands on it's own merits.

Who knows? Maybe he knew this all along and he knew that disappearing was a requirement to it's success.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 03:21:41 PM

Should the creator of Bitcoin come forward?  It depends on what his goals are.

If there were one person to answer questions and explain the benefits of using Bitcoin it might've caught on quicker.

There's thousands of people to explain it now, and they can explain it just as well if not better.

balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 03:23:09 PM

I voted no because he might end up like the former cia director. attacked credibility.  Cool
Rluner

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 04:49:08 PM

I voted no.

As in previous posts coming forward can ONLY lead to people trying to discredit him/ her /them.

Let us all just say ty to him/ her /them and leave it at that.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 04:51:57 PM

I was thinking the other day how different Bitcoin would be today if Satoshi or whoever created Bitcoin came forward and took credit. If there were one person to answer questions and explain the benefits of using Bitcoin it might've caught on quicker.

Suppose other than creating Bitcoin, he's a complete jerk.  Maybe things would actually be worse if he came forward.

In any event, it's entirely up to whoever (singular or plural) is Satoshi to come forward or not.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 04:52:12 PM

no way. these people should shut their mouths for the next 30 years.

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 04:57:52 PM

+1. Well said.

Satoshi should NOT even come forward on his deathbed. The fact that no individual or organization is behind bitcoin is the entire point. While Satoshi's re-emergence obviously would not actually change that fact, the bitcoin-uneducated would fail to understand this. There are already too many dullards out there saying Satoshi is "pulling the strings" or can "change the code" whenever he wants. Best he remains silent.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
jaime

Activity: 339

División de Poderes s.XXI es Descentralización

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 05:07:00 PM

This is Satoshi:

We are all Satoshi

Hfleer

Activity: 448

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:14:50 PM

I would like to see them come forward and say something, even if it's just as an anonymous message with proof.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:16:37 PM

I can understand why the creator has not come forward, for obvious reasons, but Bitcoin imo would be taken much more seriously to the majority of big investors if the creator was at least contactable. So I vote, yes!

i disagree. if satoshi came forward than the story about bitcoin would disappear and be replaced by a story about satoshi. just like the media did with the snowden revelations which quickly became a story about snowden, and his girlfriend, and his dog, and his lost sock, anything other than the revelations themselves.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:41:53 PM

this just shows that you have not read the white paper or personally grasped the concept that bitcoin potential far exceeds what satoshi first envisioned, so there is nothing more that satoshi could add to the community, then the developments the comunity have comeup with after he done his Houdini act.

On the other hand, I was also thinking about the possibility that the true creator of Bitcoin is dead or murdered. If Satoshi actually chose to remain anonymous then it would make it that much easier for him to be killed without anyone knowing. If he were famous then his every move would be watched.

this just shows you have not seen the history of conversations by satoshi and others, and that its more plausible he just moved off the bitcoin project, rather then being murdered.

Or what if it was not a single person that started Bitcoin, but a group of individuals with their own secret motives. Why would they chose to remain anonymous and for what purpose?

we already know that Gavin A, satoshi and a few others worked together to make the first QT clients. but satoshi was not the title of the group. it was the handle of a individual with a consistent British based writing style, which is more evident to be one person than a group name.

Regardless, it is strange that the public does not know who is behind the fastest growing digital currency in the world. What do you think?

who was behind the first ever printed bank note of your country? and if you could meet that person is there any information you would want to know, that maybe an economist or a over-average intelligence person, could not answer.

i personally think that the majority do understand bitcoin, the do understand satoshi's white paper and they see the potential satoshi seen, as well as the new potentials that have come to light now that bitcoin is actually in use.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
wickedgoodtrader

Activity: 220
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 08:06:17 PM

So what happens if someone came forward and claimed to be Satoshi, even though they really weren't.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 08:08:25 PM

So what happens if someone came forward and claimed to be Satoshi, even though they really weren't.

They would be asked for proof.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 08:20:37 PM

https://twitter.com/JustusRanvier/status/393573435600678912
seljo
Legendary

Activity: 1178
Merit: 1014

Hodling since 2011.®

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 10:06:14 PM

Just no.

Hodling since 2011.®
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 10:10:04 PM

They would have either tried to have him assassinated or get him in jail as a warning to others, if there were ever a reason for anonymity and secrecy it would be that and no I'm not joking. Going up against an empire like America publicly means becoming a criminal in their eyes so the only way you can live a normal life is by staying hidden while you fight them. As Ron Paul has said "When you have a dictatorship truth becomes treasonous" and Bitcoin is showing the truth to people of how badly fucked everything is with mathematics as well which Gold/Silver haven't been really able to do in the past.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: