News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should Satoshi come Forward?
Yes
No

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should the Creator of Bitcoin come forward?  (Read 5938 times)
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 07:27:26 PM

I've noticed a disturbing trend of trolls casually accusing Satoshi of premining.

It looks like that particular brand of FUD is starting to become popular again.

I thought it was relatively well established that of the first 32,000 or so blocks, many must have been Satoshi.  Here's one fairly credible (if speculative) look at the early blocks.

It's possible they're overestimating Satoshi's mining, or that there are a lot of early adopters, but a lot of the early blocks have not been spent.

Why would there be anything reprehensible about it even if he did mine the early blocks and keep them?  Seems to me he'd have to be a fool not to.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 07:30:35 PM

I thought it was relatively well established that of the first 32,000 or so blocks, many must have been Satoshi.
Sure, but that's not premining.

He waited until after publicly announcing the currency and giving other people an opportunity to mine at the same time he started.

Only the Genesis Block could be considered "premined", and that's only 50 BTC.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 07:34:27 PM

I thought it was relatively well established that of the first 32,000 or so blocks, many must have been Satoshi.
Sure, but that's not premining.

He waited until after publicly announcing the currency and giving other people an opportunity to mine at the same time he started.

Only the Genesis Block could be considered "premined", and that's only 50 BTC.

I suppose I misused "premining" as a term, then, since basically any transaction worth anything would be definition be on the blockchain.  But early adopters did get a serious jump on it, and there's nothing wrong with that.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 09:31:15 PM

The anonymity prevents characterisation and individualisation. 

Notice how the media will focus on the persona of Snowden to the exclusion of what was revealed.  (the girlfriend, the running, the adventure, the activities, the location, etc)
By coming forward, such treatment is guaranteed.

Satoshi would be able to handle it better than most, but it would not be good for Bitcoin in any case.  Celebrity is more of a cost than a benefit unless you are trying to make celebrity your career.  It would take the focus away from Bitcoin and put the spotlight on the persona.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: