Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:31:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sudden new largest bitcoin address as of 10/25  (Read 12512 times)
SheHadMANHands
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:37:26 PM

Good. 170k BTC out of the market.
Up, up, up!

Right, they're just going to throw the key away..

I'm surprised another panic shit-storm hasn't struck (down to ~$160/165)
Rygon

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:38:53 PM

That article implies that the FBI might not have the private key to that address. It's very confusing. What did they seize exactly?

edit: They must have the key since the funds were moved today. IMO, this is bearish because newcomers to BTC will think that it can easily be confiscated. I'm surprised the private key(s) wasn't hidden better.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:39:02 PM

Up, up, up!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/10/04/fbi-silk-road-bitcoin-seizure/

“We will probably just liquidate them.”

Good. 170k BTC back on the market after a while.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:39:38 PM

Up, up, up!

Right, they're just going to throw the key away..

They're not selling them on MtGox, Bitstamp, or BTC-e, either...
Fuyuki_Wataru

Activity: 167
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:41:39 PM

I actually did some research with another guy about who might be the top 10 richest bitcoin users.

What we found out was 4-5 different accounts being used by the same person, who owned around 40k bitcoins on each account. He didn't seem like the richest one, but he surely was.

And 2-3 accounts who held up 30K which was being used by another user.

Theres some really wealthy people out there...

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    delicia | delicia.io    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Decentralized Global Food Network | World's Only Solution to Food Wastage | Join Whitelist Now, Get 30% Bonus
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    Whitepaper | Telegram | Medium | Twitter | FB | ANN    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
xDan

Activity: 688

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:44:22 PM

Colour me surprised.

I'd REALLY like to know the exact details of how they got them.

Cracked his password?
Rubber hose?
Other?

It seemed to me, with probably going to jail for life, there would be little incentive to willingly give them up.

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
bigasic

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:48:22 PM

IF they put all their coins up for sale right now, what would the price drop to?
C. Bergmann

Activity: 803

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:50:00 PM

IF they put all their coins up for sale right now, what would the price drop to?

How would they do this?

Maybe they send them to gox :=))))

▄▄████▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄▄█████▀▀    ▀▀█████▄▄
▄█████▀▀            ▀▀█████▄
▄███▀       ▄████▄       ▀███▄
███      ▄██████████▄      ███
███    ▄██████████████▄    ███
███    ████████████████    ███
███    ▀██████████████▀    ███
███      ▀██████████▀      ███
▀███▄       ▀████▀       ▄███▀
▀█████▄▄            ▄▄█████▀
▀▀█████▄▄    ▄▄█████▀▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀████▀▀
Gabro███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
WHITEPAPER
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
TOKEN SALES
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
bigasic

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:52:39 PM

That article implies that the FBI might not have the private key to that address. It's very confusing. What did they seize exactly?

edit: They must have the key since the funds were moved today. IMO, this is bearish because newcomers to BTC will think that it can easily be confiscated. I'm surprised the private key(s) wasn't hidden better.

You have to remember that DPR was being watched for months, I suspect from about May onwards. The FBI are very crafty. They could have very easily broken in and put a key logger on his machine that he wouldnt detect. I bet the gov has many tools that arent available to the most savvy of hackers.. So, it would make sense that they would have a ton of info..

I was watching one of those FBI real life shows the other night on how they do pretty much what I just said. They would stage a car wreck to close off the street while their agents were in the house putting bugs, etc.. so, ulbricht goose was cooked probably by late spring...
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 05:56:12 PM

Up, up, up!

talk about a trophy catch for the FBI though. could be billions one day
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:56:16 PM

So , all those who said  that they will never get hit bitcoins....how long did it take , 1 month? =)))))))))))))))0

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
hlynur

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:01:21 PM

This is part of Bitcoins' Magic. The crowd can look into the wallet of the rich and spekulate about it ...

To make this thing more scary, there is a coincidence with a new conspiracy theory about the silk road bust, which I thin is untrue, but gains value as a storyboard. Maybe you know, http://www.reddit.com/r/SilkroadUNcensored/comments/1p0ogt/time_to_let_the_cat_out_of_the_hat/

Its written in weird language, so I give you the details: He claims, SR was not seized, but all was a scam. In the days before the socalled seizure, there would have happened a lot of complain by users, they couldn't logg in, couldn't free their coins, etc. Theory is, the admins just run away with the money.

I don't believe this theory, but I like it, cause the storyline is 2 big 2 fail 2 make me brainrisseling ... this adress would be the top of the story

whoa... thanks for posting the link, some heavy tinfoilstuff goin' on there, esp. the theory about the gawker journalist being involved.

C. Bergmann

Activity: 803

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:13:37 PM

This is part of Bitcoins' Magic. The crowd can look into the wallet of the rich and spekulate about it ...

To make this thing more scary, there is a coincidence with a new conspiracy theory about the silk road bust, which I thin is untrue, but gains value as a storyboard. Maybe you know, http://www.reddit.com/r/SilkroadUNcensored/comments/1p0ogt/time_to_let_the_cat_out_of_the_hat/

Its written in weird language, so I give you the details: He claims, SR was not seized, but all was a scam. In the days before the socalled seizure, there would have happened a lot of complain by users, they couldn't logg in, couldn't free their coins, etc. Theory is, the admins just run away with the money.

I don't believe this theory, but I like it, cause the storyline is 2 big 2 fail 2 make me brainrisseling ... this adress would be the top of the story

whoa... thanks for posting the link, some heavy tinfoilstuff goin' on there, esp. the theory about the gawker journalist being involved.

yea, with the forbes-article its officialy untrue, but nice for imagination Smiley

▄▄████▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄▄█████▀▀    ▀▀█████▄▄
▄█████▀▀            ▀▀█████▄
▄███▀       ▄████▄       ▀███▄
███      ▄██████████▄      ███
███    ▄██████████████▄    ███
███    ▀██████████████▀    ███
███      ▀██████████▀      ███
▀███▄       ▀████▀       ▄███▀
▀█████▄▄            ▄▄█████▀
▀▀█████▄▄    ▄▄█████▀▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀████▀▀
Gabro███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
WHITEPAPER
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
TOKEN SALES
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
bigasic

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:15:59 PM

Up, up, up!

The second the FBI can sell the bitcoins, they will.  I just wonder if they will dump them on the market all at once or be smart and do it over a 2-3 month period.. They would get a lot more. But I dont see them holding much. THey will hold some, so they can use bitcoins in other investigations, trust me, that will happen, but they will sell the majority..
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:19:12 PM

Up, up, up!

The second the FBI can sell the bitcoins, they will.  I just wonder if they will dump them on the market all at once or be smart and do it over a 2-3 month period.. They would get a lot more. But I dont see them holding much. THey will hold some, so they can use bitcoins in other investigations, trust me, that will happen, but they will sell the majority..

They will sell them at auction like all property they seize.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
bigasic

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:23:40 PM

Up, up, up!

That would be interesting if they put up 40 million dollars worth of bitcoins, I doubt they will auction that off, just like they dont auction off cash... at an auction, they wont get as much as if they sold at an exchange, but this is the govt we are talking about. they always do things the most difficult and most expensive way possible...

We are at least a couple years away (if not more) from them selling them anyways, by that time, the bitcoin price will probably be a lot higher.. They cant do a thing until the case is settled...
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:25:11 PM

Up, up, up!

That would be interesting if they put up 40 million dollars worth of bitcoins, I doubt they will auction that off, just like they dont auction off cash... at an auction, they wont get as much as if they sold at an exchange, but this is the govt we are talking about. they always do things the most difficult and most expensive way possible...

We are at least a couple years away (if not more) from them selling them anyways, by that time, the bitcoin price will probably be a lot higher.. They cant do a thing until the case is settled...

Auctioning cash makes no sense.  Do you want to buy these dollars for some dollars? Roll Eyes

Auctioning off multimillion dollar homes and boats, however, the do.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
hlynur

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:26:01 PM

Up, up, up!

could they throw the coins back into the systems of tor marketplaces to trace them to several merchant wallets, or is that senseless because of the mixing services there?

bigasic

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:31:27 PM

Up, up, up!

Auctioning cash makes no sense.  Do you want to buy these dollars for some dollars? Roll Eyes

Auctioning off multimillion dollar homes and boats, however, the do.

That was my whole point.... They would probably treat bitcoin as fiat, (this is new to them, so it will be interesting to see how they sell it.. but I dont think it would be by an auction, but you never know.)
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:34:46 PM

Well, one thing is for sure, DPR was not nearly as clever as people gave him credit for.

Someone as high profile as himself should at the very least have had multiple small wallets with security contingency protocols in case something happened to him. His lawyers could have put those contingencies into action.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: