Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:01:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Paper Wallet  (Read 2409 times)
merlin3650 (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 02:51:09 PM

Hey all,
I have searched here and couldn't find an answer. What is the best way to make a paper wallet? I see several online sites and am wondering what you all use. Thanks for reading.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Thursday

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:11:42 PM

1. Download bitaddress.org

https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org

2. Copy the downloaded bitaddress.org to some sort of removable media. I.E. cd, flashdrive

3. Run a live version of uBuntu, or some OS

4. Run the downloaded bitaddress.org inside uBunutu

5. Insure computer is disconnected from internet.

6. Generate wallets

7. Print more than you think you'll need

8. Profit

1AXBRFK5a8dP7z8T3gb3hvUjm2F6KYFmgS
merlin3650 (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 10:36:27 PM

But doesn't it need to be connected so the addresses can be verified? I thought all the addresses needed to be generated and recorded on the block chain?
operrajunk74

Activity: 344
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 10:48:36 PM

But doesn't it need to be connected so the addresses can be verified? I thought all the addresses needed to be generated and recorded on the block chain?

Nope, you may send bitcoin to address no one has private key as well.

Of course you might generate private key associated with address offline. In fact even with pen and paper alone if you know how
J35st3r

Activity: 196

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 08:58:55 AM

Of course you might generate private key associated with address offline. In fact even with pen and paper alone if you know how

If you mean that you could generate an offline key that corresponds to an already existing address, then that is just astronomically unlikely (the address space is 2^160 which is just a vastly huge number). The only way this could happen is if you are using a seriously broken random number generator, or a brain wallet (just don't go there, you will lose your coin unless you know exactly what you are doing).

And props to anyone who manages to convert a private key to an address using just pen and paper. Possible, yes, but the process is so mind-numbingly intricate that the chances of getting it right without making a mistake along the way are pretty tiny.

Just for LOLs, a link to my very first post where I do indeed generate the private key to existing address 1EHNa6Q4Jz2uvNExL497mE43ikXhwF6kZm (its 1 by the way).

1Jest66T6Jw1gSVpvYpYLXR6qgnch6QYU1 NumberOfTheBeast ... go on, give it a try Grin
rampalija

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 03:16:37 PM

Man i realy want to help you wirh this tread but i dont know what u realy want

immortal4now

Activity: 612
Merit: 102

Chromia - Relational Blockchain

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 03:29:37 PM

What is the best way to make a paper wallet?

When generated, print it ! Do not try to just write it to paper from your screen - it is easy to make mistakes this way. I know it from serial keys

♠️ Facebook: http://facebook.com/ChromiaStudios                 ♥️ Webpage: http://chromiastudios.com
♦️ LinkedIn:  http://linkedin.com/company/chromiastudios      ♣️ Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/ChromiaStudios                     
♥️ Twitter:    https://twitter.com/teamchromia                        ♦️  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChromaWay
************************************************************************************************
merlin3650 (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 06:57:55 PM

Maybe I'm not asking it correctly. Lets review:

Bitcoin are stored in a wallet and that wallet needs a bitcoin address: Correct?

Any bitcoin that are bought/Sold/Traded are recorded in the blockchain: Correct?

Any transaction (bought/sold/traded) needs to be verified by others using the blockchain: correct?

So my question is how can coin be moved to a private address if it cant be verified since the address was made offline?
ekiro

Merit: 101

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 07:08:31 PM

Hey thanks for sharing this. I'm a front-end developer and it's cool to see JS along with some HTML and CSS can create a cool print for your BTCs.

They also sell robust thumb-stick like wallets that lets you store your BTCs in a offline, hardware wallet.  And you can only send and receive when you connect the device and power it up.  

I always kept majority of my BTCs on a reliable laptop that I kept powered off and offline 99% of the time. Only booting it up when making large transactions.

For everything else, there is coinbase.com which seems to be pretty cool.  
J35st3r

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 07:09:59 PM

Maybe I'm not asking it correctly. Lets review:

Bitcoin are stored in a wallet and that wallet needs a bitcoin address: Correct?

Any bitcoin that are bought/Sold/Traded are recorded in the blockchain: Correct?

Any transaction (bought/sold/traded) needs to be verified by others using the blockchain: correct?

So my question is how can coin be moved to a private address if it cant be verified since the address was made offline?

No: Bitcoin exist on the blockchain. A wallet simply stores the keys needed to authorise a transaction moving that coin to another address. You can import the keys into multiple wallets, any of which can then spend that coin (but only one spend, ever).

Yes

Yes

Finally: Bitcoin is moved via a transaction in which the "owner" authorises the transfer by signing with the private key associated with the address. The destination address merely needs to exist, there is no requirement for its private key to be known. The transferred bitcoin will remain at the new address until another transaction is signed using a valid private key. If the private key is lost (or was never known in the first place since destination addresses can be created without knowing the private key, eg 1BitcoinEaterAddressDontSendf59kuE), then the bitcoin is unspendable, lost for eternity.

1Jest66T6Jw1gSVpvYpYLXR6qgnch6QYU1 NumberOfTheBeast ... go on, give it a try Grin
Cambista

Activity: 168

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 10:27:09 PM

bitaddress.org

and

brainwallet.org

are also good for brainwallets!  Cool
J35st3r

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 10:45:25 PM

bitaddress.org
and
brainwallet.org
are also good for brainwallets!  Cool
bitaddress.org - yes, though if paranoid download from https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org and use it offline.

brainwallet.org  - no brainwallets are not for newbies. Its far too easy to choose a bad passphrase (basically anything you can google that will come back with a hit, or any simple variation of said). There are crooks out there generating rainbow tables of all conceivable passphrases and the first you'll know of it is when your coin is stolen.

Cambista

Activity: 168

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 11:04:22 PM

I forgot  to say and I agree with you, both of them should be downloaded from github repos and used offline.

Paperwallet is way easier to use and manage than brainwallet.

Cheers!
canton

Activity: 261
Merit: 285

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 03:09:36 PM

What is the best way to make a paper wallet? I see several online sites and am wondering what you all use.

I'm the author of https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com, and I recommend my own service because:

• The essential address-generating software is identical to the excellent bitaddress.org (it's a fork)
  • ... except that it has a more secure random number generator (when using a sufficiently modern browser)
  • ... and the actual printed wallet design has tamper-evident features and a folding design that make it very difficult to screw up and accidentally reveal your key. The printed wallet itself has instructions for use and safekeeping printed on the reverse.
  • ... and it's just easier to use. It includes detailed step by step instructions, and it's specifically designed for making paper wallets, nothing else.

And they're pretty. Have a look!

- Canton

rampalija

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 05:47:53 PM

What is the best way to make a paper wallet? I see several online sites and am wondering what you all use.

I'm the author of https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com, and I recommend my own service because:

• The essential address-generating software is identical to the excellent bitaddress.org (it's a fork)
  • ... except that it has a more secure random number generator (when using a sufficiently modern browser)
  • ... and the actual printed wallet design has tamper-evident features and a folding design that make it very difficult to screw up and accidentally reveal your key. The printed wallet itself has instructions for use and safekeeping printed on the reverse.
  • ... and it's just easier to use. It includes detailed step by step instructions, and it's specifically designed for making paper wallets, nothing else.

And they're pretty. Have a look!

- Canton

Like the design!

Goldenboy

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 02:06:22 AM

Nice
jimihendrix

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 07:44:57 PM

Hey Im a noob here, Not sure how to post my own posts, I was wondering what kind of paper should I use for bitcoin paper wallets? and would a HP Envy 4500 serious (inkjet printer) be go for only printing paper wallets? Should I use normal paper? someone said something about using paper they use in the Navy (which was kevlar) but where I live nobody sells that, what are the alternatives to this type of paper?
Thanks,
brycead

Activity: 5

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 07:45:23 AM

Using the app Armory is a good option for both creating a paper wallet and using a dedicated offline computer for coin storage (a more expensive paper wallet option)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: