Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:20:53 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU Mining Historical Charts in USD/Day  (Read 1193 times)
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2018, 05:16:49 PM

Ok its time for an update again, its been over a month and lots have changed.

Basically things not looking good for DaggerHashimoto (ETH) basically we hit the lowest daily profitability since April. This is largely due to the low price and the huge difficulty jump. Those with RX gpus hopefully ROI'd by now. Because pretty soon we will hit the lowest profitability ever for ETH even lower than Oct 2015.

Thanks for all the ASICs, the Equihash is the lowest profitability ever for ZCASH. Never has profitability been this low before.

Monero profitability is looking also bad, however not as bad as back in April. However with all the GPUs switching and the difficulty rising looks like we will hit all time low profitability levels soon for XMR.

Basically its like Capitulation for GPU miners.

Thanks for keeping this updated! Your reports seem very accurate and I actually do agree and share your opinion on the end of GPU mining. Even if lets say you are mining with the future value in mind, there is still the threat of new hardware that would make existing GPUs less profitable. Not to mention that not selling you GPUs today would be a bad idea because of the constant price gouging and steady decrease of GPU value.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
August 07, 2018, 09:51:43 PM

Well, with ETH almost breaking yearly lows, profitability with a RX 470 4GB is down to a measly $0.75 before fees and electricity.

Pretty crazy since back in June 2017, I think this GPU was pulling in around $7.50 while dual mining SIA. However since electricity is fixed and not a ratio of profitability it can mean $0.00 daily net profit after electricity cost for some.

What to do with these GPUs? Sell ? Hold ? Start actually using them to play Video games ?
lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 01:43:30 AM

Well, with ETH almost breaking yearly lows, profitability with a RX 470 4GB is down to a measly $0.75 before fees and electricity.

Pretty crazy since back in June 2017, I think this GPU was pulling in around $7.50 while dual mining SIA. However since electricity is fixed and not a ratio of profitability it can mean $0.00 daily net profit after electricity cost for some.

What to do with these GPUs? Sell ? Hold ? Start actually using them to play Video games ?

Party's over folks.  Lets go play some games Smiley

I'm mining at around 35 cent watt average and shutting down my machine today.  Going to full throttle my 401k and max it out for the year.  reduce my taxable amount,  Probably sell my gpus and just buy coins over the next 3-4 months at these depressed prices,  I'll get more millage that way

Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 02:39:18 AM

Well, right now, is all time low but from here it can only go up. I advise any to buy coins, if you buy now, you will enjoy the return 10 times more in few months.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
lunobird

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 04:42:08 AM

yep and to those dumb enough to keep on mining for penny profits. Your taking a huge risk of lighting your rigs on fire and burning down your place.  Not worth fighting over left over bitmain scraps.  Its been 8 months and BTC has not found a bottom  yet.  It will probably take till the end of the year till we hit a real bottom and capitulate.  Early 2019 will be accumuation flat prices.  and prices probably wont' pick up till mid to late 2019.

Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 04:52:01 AM

yep and to those dumb enough to keep on mining for penny profits. Your taking a huge risk of lighting your rigs on fire and burning down your place.  Not worth fighting over left over bitmain scraps.  Its been 8 months and BTC has not found a bottom  yet.  It will probably take till the end of the year till we hit a real bottom and capitulate.  Early 2019 will be accumuation flat prices.  and prices probably wont' pick up till mid to late 2019.

Last time, btc price crashed on January 2015 to $200 and rose on October 2015 to $500, this time btc crashed on January 2018 to $6k and will probably rise on October 2018 to $14k.

lunobird

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 06:59:59 AM

yep and to those dumb enough to keep on mining for penny profits. Your taking a huge risk of lighting your rigs on fire and burning down your place.  Not worth fighting over left over bitmain scraps.  Its been 8 months and BTC has not found a bottom  yet.  It will probably take till the end of the year till we hit a real bottom and capitulate.  Early 2019 will be accumuation flat prices.  and prices probably wont' pick up till mid to late 2019.

Last time, btc price crashed on January 2015 to $200 and rose on October 2015 to $500, this time btc crashed on January 2018 to $6k and will probably rise on October 2018 to $14k.

Im looking at that chart.   It was 1 year long crash from Jan 2014 of $1000 to  Jan 2015 to $200.  Took 1 year to find that bottom.  We are still 8 months in currently and probably have another 4 months till we hit bottom.

There was also 9 months afterwards of consolidation at the bottom 200-$350 range between Jan 2015 to September 2015 of just sideways  After September 2015 prices finally started to rise.

If we are to play the market cycles are are still in full blown winter season follks. Hopefully winter gets over soon in a few months so we can start accumulate for  the next 6 months in spring and start the summer season again.  

Big mining farms will shut down, Things will get even uglier for mining as they already have. Still increase in difficulty. Obelisk delayed shipment. Xlinix delaying FPGA and new hardware is arriving,  This is going to get very ugly for mining, I would not expect rise in value anytime soon for at least a year from now and thats why I've turned off my rigs and not waste my electric or burning out my hardware
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 07:34:29 AM

Im looking at that chart.   It was 1 year long crash from Jan 2014 of $1000 to  Jan 2015 to $200.  Took 1 year to find that bottom.  We are still 8 months in currently and probably have another 4 months till we hit bottom.

There was also 9 months afterwards of consolidation at the bottom 200-$350 range between Jan 2015 to September 2015 of just sideways  After September 2015 prices finally started to rise.

If we are to play the market cycles are are still in full blown winter season follks. Hopefully winter gets over soon in a few months so we can start accumulate for  the next 6 months in spring and start the summer season again.  

Big mining farms will shut down, Things will get even uglier for mining as they already have. Still increase in difficulty. Obelisk delayed shipment. Xlinix delaying FPGA and new hardware is arriving,  This is going to get very ugly for mining, I would not expect rise in value anytime soon for at least a year from now and thats why I've turned off my rigs and not waste my electric or burning out my hardware

BTC all time high was 20k this time, if we take last time as an example, we will see 5x crash, btc at 5k is a 4x crash, i do not expect btc to crash lower than 5k because we don't have a mt.gox case where many bitcoins were stolen and market thought the hackers would unload all those coins into the market. So matter of fact, i dont think btc price will be lower than what is at moment, is just too low.

Ambros

Activity: 653
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 07:47:48 AM

Thanks for the sources of good information.
Since the topic is not too crowded it was easy to get read it all and get an overall view about where things are going.

Right now ETH profitability is getting lower and lower because all the nvidia cards which used to mine Equihash are turning to Dagger Hashimoto.
The situation is still pretty fine for ASICs and FPGA mining farm, but I think that it's deep winter for people that bought GPUs in late 2017 or early 2018.

The thing is scaring me most is the absence of a good PoW powered project. Everyone seems to believe that the best way (actually is just the simplest and cheapest) to launch a crypto project is doing an ICO and live in ETH or start with ERC20 and swap for a DPOS coin afterward. Seems that no one is actually interested in decentralization (which is the main reason to stay here).

Is anyone aware of a good PoW powered project that is worth supporting?
lunobird

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 08:00:29 AM

BTC all time high was 20k this time, if we take last time as an example, we will see 5x crash, btc at 5k is a 4x crash, i do not expect btc to crash lower than 5k because we don't have a mt.gox case where many bitcoins were stolen and market thought the hackers would unload all those coins into the market. So matter of fact, i dont think btc price will be lower than what is at moment, is just too low.

I agree with you on that one and we are not to far from the bottom it seems like. But I do think markets can drag on longer than we comfortablely want till we get new fresh money and people comming in or extremely bullish news. We all are pretty much bag holding for the moment

5k would be the lowest I could possibly imagine. Cost around 6k to mine  1 btc as miner support but markets generally don't care about your hard work to mine it. I have a buy order at $5400 in case it dips that low

Fundementals and confidence is much stronger with btc now so I do agree on a quicker market cycle recovery compared to the past.

I hope I am wrong and markets will recover near all tlme high this year but i see no signs of that, I'm trying to be as objective and plan for the worst.
dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 09:28:50 AM

Well, right now, is all time low but from here it can only go up. I advise any to buy coins, if you buy now, you will enjoy the return 10 times more in few months.
This is the classic logical fallacy.
There is always 100% downside. "It can only go up" is wishful thinking at best.
Remember summer 2014. BTC prices had lost 75% from the top. Many (inclulding me) turned off their rigs. Remember what happened the following 2 years. Yep. BTC lost another 50%+.
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 10:42:42 AM

Remember summer 2014. BTC prices had lost 75% from the top. Many (inclulding me) turned off their rigs. Remember what happened the following 2 years. Yep. BTC lost another 50%+.

i do not expect btc to crash lower than 5k because we don't have a mt.gox case where many bitcoins were stolen and market thought the hackers would unload all those coins into the market.

dragonmike

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 02:30:08 PM

i do not expect btc to crash lower than 5k because we don't have a mt.gox case where many bitcoins were stolen and market thought the hackers would unload all those coins into the market.
Back then it was only Mt. Gox.
Let's see how many hacked exchanges we can list for 2018 only...
revenant2017

Activity: 728
Merit: 252

Healing Galing

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 08:28:20 PM

Same with the NVIDIA graphics card. Got 8x 1070's that i still use for mining Equihash. I get a profit of $0.50 - $0.52 per hashrate in a month. Mining in ETH would generate me almost the same. So i guess this is the end for mining. Thanks to corporate level mining, Average joe like us won't get our return of investment sooner than expected.
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 09:02:22 PM

Well it seems the ETH profitability went up slightly in the last 24 hours or so due to the transaction spamming.

Apparently some ICO or some dApp is raising the GAS prices and each block has a 15% premium due to the high transaction fees.

However we just hit a new yearly low for ETH so profitability doesn't really increase.
revenant2017

Healing Galing

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 11:01:31 PM

Well it seems the ETH profitability went up slightly in the last 24 hours or so due to the transaction spamming.

Apparently some ICO or some dApp is raising the GAS prices and each block has a 15% premium due to the high transaction fees.

However we just hit a new yearly low for ETH so profitability doesn't really increase.
Data shows that ETH's difficulty increased by 9% the past 90 days. And for the past 90 days, the price of ETH is down 50%. I can't seem to see any signs of decrease in difficulty. Same goes for the price of ETH. Only the other GPU coins with low marketcap are able to make a higher profit. I wonder when will people going to realized that selling their rigs is the best decision now.
dragonmike

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 11:12:14 PM

Data shows that ETH's difficulty increased by 9% the past 90 days. And for the past 90 days, the price of ETH is down 50%. I can't seem to see any signs of decrease in difficulty. Same goes for the price of ETH. Only the other GPU coins with low marketcap are able to make a higher profit. I wonder when will people going to realized that selling their rigs is the best decision now.
Why sell? Just stay put. Turn'em off if you have to but don't sell them at deflated prices... Who's gonna buy them now anyway? Leave'em be and be ready to switch back on when it makes economical sense again.
revenant2017

Healing Galing

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 11:20:01 PM

Why sell? Just stay put. Turn'em off if you have to but don't sell them at deflated prices... Who's gonna buy them now anyway? Leave'em be and be ready to switch back on when it makes economical sense again.
Prices of Cards are surging below it's MSRP. Plus, next month or so, there will be another powerful card available in the market. That would make the 2nd hand cards difficult to sell.Add to that to the fact that it will result to low profitability. This is just my opinion. I'm also finding it hard to sell my 1070's(Planning to upgrade to next gen gpu's).
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 03:41:29 AM

hacked right? mt.gox was the only one hacked, we had a lot more exchanges than we have today.

adaseb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 07:37:09 AM

hacked right? mt.gox was the only one hacked, we had a lot more exchanges than we have today.

Unless its Coinbase, Binance, or Bitfinex that gets hacked, I don't think the effect will be as bad as it was in 2014.

Even after Bitfinex got hacked a few years back we quickly recovered.

Pretty sure most exchanges these days aren't stupid and cold storage 99% of their BTC.

That large NEM hack (forgot which exchange) was most likely due to the fact that they couldn't keep it on cold storage. If you got a profitable business, take the necessary steps to protect your customer funds or risk going bankrupt when you get hacked and all customers go elsewhere.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: