Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:42:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RPC-backended GUI for bitcoind  (Read 232 times)
ustin (OP)

Activity: 116
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 11:22:03 PM
Merited by suchmoon (4)

Hello!
Maybe it is dumb question, but is there any tool, that can be attach to existing daemon's RPC interface and represent graphic interface with same functional as QT client?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gamaman990

Activity: 152
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 11:25:15 PM

To what purpose? Why not just use QT client? The RPC interface is much slower than the QT client and so any client built on top of RPC will be slow. Even if there's such a client (unheard of), who would use it?
ustin (OP)

Activity: 116
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 11:43:12 PM

To what purpose? Why not just use QT client? The RPC interface is much slower than the QT client and so any client built on top of RPC will be slow. Even if there's such a client (unheard of), who would use it?
It is no way to attach QT client to another node via rpc

I want GUI for already running node
Kogs

Activity: 86
Merit: 26

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 07:19:31 AM

It is no way to attach QT client to another node via rpc

I want GUI for already running node

I also had this idea and did not find a direct way to do this (but I did not really search hard).

But it depends on what you want to achieve with it.
My approach was to connect a SPV client directly to my full node, so I don't rely on full nodes of other people.

One way to do this would be to install an electrum server which talks to your full node and then use the electrum client to make use of your full node.

Maybe there are wallets outside which can directly connect to bitcoind RPC but I did not found them.
One security concern I would have with such wallets is, that you need to open the RPC port for everyone to be able to connect to your bitcoind. This could be a big attack vector if not secured properly.
pebwindkraft

Activity: 257
Merit: 343

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 11:36:09 PM
Merited by achow101 (2), ABCbits (2), whywefight (1)

For what purpose? Why not just use the QT client? The RPC interface is much slower than the QT client and so any client built on RPC will be slow. Even if there are such customers (never heard of anyone), who will use it?
If „we“ had the same mind set like your posting here, then bitcoin could never exist. Imagine people raised the same questions:
Bitcoin - what purpose? We have Dollars
Bitcoin - why use on a PC? I can send via my bank or PayPal
Bitcoin - why is it slow? It can only do 7 tx/ second - VISA can do 50.000s
Bitcoin - who will use it? Only nerds would do this...

Do you want to be in the same group?

Be open minded, and don‘t (implicitly) judge someone else’s request, cause your imagination might be limited...

Here an example, I discussed on a meeting last recently: the person was running a bitcoin daemon on a raspberry pi, in a headless mode, connected via ssh. And he was wondering, how to remotely connect to the device from a „powerful“ system with a graphical interface. He was unfamiliar with the command line shell. So he looked for something like a web app, that embeds the RPC calls, so he can do a minimum set of commands. And as you see, speed would not be an issue at all!

There are always things beyond our imagination.
zool2003

Activity: 126
Merit: 3

Joe's Signatureless Challenge

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 06:07:37 AM

For what purpose? Why not just use the QT client? The RPC interface is much slower than the QT client and so any client built on RPC will be slow. Even if there are such customers (never heard of anyone), who will use it?
If „we“ had the same mind set like your posting here, then bitcoin could never exist. Imagine people raised the same questions:
Bitcoin - what purpose? We have Dollars
Bitcoin - why use on a PC? I can send via my bank or PayPal
Bitcoin - why is it slow? It can only do 7 tx/ second - VISA can do 50.000s
Bitcoin - who will use it? Only nerds would do this...

Do you want to be in the same group?

Be open minded, and don‘t (implicitly) judge someone else’s request, cause your imagination might be limited...

Here an example, I discussed on a meeting last recently: the person was running a bitcoin daemon on a raspberry pi, in a headless mode, connected via ssh. And he was wondering, how to remotely connect to the device from a „powerful“ system with a graphical interface. He was unfamiliar with the command line shell. So he looked for something like a web app, that embeds the RPC calls, so he can do a minimum set of commands. And as you see, speed would not be an issue at all!

There are always things beyond our imagination.

As pebwindcraft rightly put I’m not sure why your being put off trying to do what you want to do.

I am working on a gui written in Visual Basic which connects to a daemon node and wallet which can send tokens, view balances and transactions, make new addresses and mine. It has no issue with speed the response for the coin that I’m working with it quick.

If you want to have a try yourself use Visual Basic with the json resource imported into your form.

I can help you out where I can.

▬▬▬ I'm part of a movement to help make the forums a better place and free it of spam:▬▬▬
█ █  http://bit.ly/SigFree  █ █
alankanyl

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 01:46:48 PM

I have the same question. As bitcoin-cli can connect a remote node RPC why not with bitcoin-qt Huh

I use a very weird way to overcome this Undecided

By configure with -prune=550 and -connect=xxx.xxx.xxx to limit bitcoin-qt connect to my local live node with minimum space consumption. Though, it still take up ~700MB space.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: