Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:19:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Noobie Grandpa needs help with these bit things  (Read 116 times)
Grandpajoe (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 01:54:00 AM

Take it easy on me boys I don't know where to start but I want to learn how these work and need help.

Let me explain a lil better so you understand where im coming from. My wife and I enjoy going to estate sales now that I am retired. Well this past weekend we purchased 2 used laptops that the gentleman said he just finished taking all his family members files off. Fast forward to today I was browsing the internet and noticed the young man didn't clear everything because the bookmarks were still saved so I was curious and started going through them and then I come across a site called blockchain and it let me automatically enter in. Thats what brings me here because I have tried to get a hold of the young man but no luck. If anyone can guide me on what to do with these thinks i would appreciate it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 02:11:14 AM

So if I understood you correctly, a site, presumably blockchain.info was bookmarked, and it's still logged in?

You don't really need to get a hold of him. He would still be able to access it in his own on other computers, so just log it off and you shouldn't encounter any problems.

That being said, who sells a laptop without reformatting it? You should reformat it on your own, honestly, because you don't know if the original owner left anything malicious. There could be viruses he doesn't know about, etc.

fxstrike

Activity: 238
Merit: 40

First Payment Gateway using GoldBacked cryptocurre

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 02:43:59 AM

If you don't mind following a lecture, here is some lecture about BTC by prestigious Princeton University Professor, probably offered as a course at Princeton, they also give free textbook you can download here

Click the image below to visit the introductory part of the book, there is video lecture you can follow on your own at the bottom of the page, if you want to follow a class like study pace free coursera is recommended, there is assignment to keep you in pace.

HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2018, 02:46:20 AM

so I was curious and started going through them and then I come across a site called blockchain and it let me automatically enter in. Thats what brings me here because I have tried to get a hold of the young man but no luck. If anyone can guide me on what to do with these thinks i would appreciate it.

We need some more information for you. Screenshots would be helpful, but we careful because if what you're looking at is a wallet and you broadcast the private key anyone can steal the bitcoin inside that wallet. You haven't said anything that makes me believe this could be a wallet but I wanted to warn you first.

Next, can you share more information about what you're looking at?

A few specific questions:
  • What's the URL/address of this website?
  • What are you looking at when you enter this site? Describe everything for us, doesn't have to be exact numbers or text, just the types of information, field headers, etc.
  • Are you seeing any numbers? An amount of dollars or Bitcoins would certainly be important and indicate things
  • What menu options exist in this website?

Give us this detail and we can help you further.

Welcome to the forum!
Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 03:02:34 AM

Take it easy on me boys I don't know where to start but I want to learn how these work and need help.

Let me explain a lil better so you understand where im coming from. My wife and I enjoy going to estate sales now that I am retired. Well this past weekend we purchased 2 used laptops that the gentleman said he just finished taking all his family members files off. Fast forward to today I was browsing the internet and noticed the young man didn't clear everything because the bookmarks were still saved so I was curious and started going through them and then I come across a site called blockchain and it let me automatically enter in. Thats what brings me here because I have tried to get a hold of the young man but no luck. If anyone can guide me on what to do with these thinks i would appreciate it.

Hi Grandpajoe and welcome to Bitcointalk,

Are you looking for help in learning about bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, or what to do with what you found on the laptop?

If you are looking for the most basic introduction to cryptocurreny (no charge, no registration, no pressure), check out DNotesEDU - https://dnotesedu.com/digital-currency/cryptocurrency/

Can you tell us what is the exact name of the site? blockchain.info, blockchain.com, blockchain.net, etc... It may be nothing more than a bookmark to one of them.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
Rockstar1

Activity: 46
Merit: 2

CoinBro.net, TangleUniverse.com, EthGal.com 4sale

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 03:10:45 AM

I have a feeling this is a troll thread.

He specifically left out what happened when he logged into "blockchain." Site left out too. Almost like he wants to keep us in suspense with the crucial things we want to know: Is it a web wallet auto-login? Is the account balance showing with abilities to send bitcoin?

But this dude knew enough to join Bitcointalk.org... I dunno, too many weird things going on. Usually you'd ask a question on reddit/Yahooo Answers before heading to BTT. Quora too.

But he chose BTT.

If what you're saying is true, you only have two options:

A) Be greedy and clean out that account by sending the BTC to your personal Bitcoin address. If you need to create your own bitcoin address, you can do so on blockchain.info by signing up. Or you can choose a hardware wallet that costs money. I would tell you to make a real wallet using Bitcoin Core, but wow I'm pretty sure that's a little above your level.

B) You can just log out of the account. That way you can't log in again. And this way anyone who uses your laptop can't access that site and the account within.

4sale: CoinBro.net, ParadiseCrypto.com, Mine.Asia, INBEX.com, BroClub.com, CoinDepot.org, Elly.net, EthGal.com
Grandpajoe (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 03:30:51 AM

I have screenshot but i don't know how to add it here.

And to answer the other guy if you read my post again you will see i said it was his family members estate and he was the beneficiary and was down here from Florida and now flew back home.
jseverson

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 03:45:47 AM

And to answer the other guy if you read my post again you will see i said it was his family members estate and he was the beneficiary and was down here from Florida and now flew back home.

Oh, my bad. I had no idea what estate sales were. That kind of complicates things, assuming the guy has no idea what crypto is, and doesn't have access to the said account. But yeah, in this case, you need to tell us exactly which site it is for us to be able to provide clear instructions.

But uh, either way, you're going to need his cooperation if you were to transfer coins to him. If you stumbled upon an online wallet that he has no access to, he will need to:

1) Create his own wallet
2) You will need to transfer the coins to his wallet

The steps you have to take would depend on what site you've found exactly, so please share it here.

Grandpajoe (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 04:05:16 AM

Bitcoin
10.718 BTC
Ether
0 ETH
Bitcoin Cash
0 BCH

the website address on top reads.. https://blockchain.info/wallet/#/home
Rockstar1

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 04:06:15 AM

Bitcoin
10.718 BTC
Ether
0 ETH
Bitcoin Cash
0 BCH

Keep it. seriously. Lel.

10.718 BTC is like $100,000.

4sale: CoinBro.net, ParadiseCrypto.com, Mine.Asia, INBEX.com, BroClub.com, CoinDepot.org, Elly.net, EthGal.com
fxstrike

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 04:10:00 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2018, 05:37:27 AM by fxstrike

Wow if its from an estate then probably there is some amount of BTC there, is the website url blockchain.info, as far as I can remember blockchain.info will log you out after certain time passed without activity.

Since your rank still Newbie you cannot post image here, you can just upload the image at imgur.com and just simply post the image direct file location url, but if it is logged in blockchain.info account dashboard you should not share any image of it otherwise the BTC will get stolen easily if you expose the private key.

jseverson

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 04:29:27 AM

Bitcoin
10.718 BTC
Ether
0 ETH
Bitcoin Cash
0 BCH

That's a massive amount of money. You have to let the guy know before you take any further steps. The transfer of the coins should be trivial (assuming blockchain.info doesn't require any additional authentication) and could be coordinated with him later.

Edit:

You only really have to press Send below the "BE YOUR OWN BANK" text on the dashboard. The rest could be figured out easily once the guy is able to create an address/wallet of his own.

IrishGirl710

Activity: 48

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2018, 05:13:30 AM

That person gonna be super happy when he finds out what bitcoin is:)
Grandpajoe (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 05:17:57 AM

The guy came down for the estate sale and the funeral so he has went back home to Florida i believe.
Grandpajoe (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 05:29:27 AM

I am not going to go out of my way and hunt this guy down so please no preaching kids Im sure I am at least 20 years older than most of you here. I might not be good with computers but you can bet your bottom dollar Grandpajoe is street smart so finders keepers losers......
fxstrike

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 05:45:50 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2018, 06:01:40 AM by fxstrike

Be careful not to reveal any information about the BTC anywhere or to anybody, some website out there is phishing website that can steal bitcoin by asking private key or seed words, probably its good to keep even the address as secret.

Find as much information and learn how to handle
  • Transferring BTC but do not transfer any BTC to any other account you don't know
  • Private keys
  • Seed word
  • keeping BTC safe
  • How to trade BTC safely, like do not trade it with paypal & credit card

Rockstar1

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 02:07:09 AM

I am not going to go out of my way and hunt this guy down so please no preaching kids Im sure I am at least 20 years older than most of you here. I might not be good with computers but you can bet your bottom dollar Grandpajoe is street smart so finders keepers losers......

If you're going to keep some, can I have at least 0.1 btc? Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: