Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:22:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Current pattern [bullish]: Cup and Handle  (Read 4328 times)
spiral_mind (OP)

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 12:15:05 AM

Read more about the cup and handle: http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school:chart_analysis:chart_patterns:cup_with_handle_cont

The Cup with Handle is a bullish continuation pattern that marks a consolidation period followed by a breakout. It was developed by William O'Neil and introduced in his 1988 book, How to Make Money in Stocks.

As its name implies, there are two parts to the pattern: the cup and the handle. The cup forms after an advance and looks like a bowl or rounding bottom. As the cup is completed, a trading range develops on the right hand side and the handle is formed. A subsequent breakout from the handle's trading range signals a continuation of the prior advance.

Cup:

Handle:

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Walsoraj

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Ultranode

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 12:15:59 AM

no.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2013, 12:17:35 AM

yes.

SheHadMANHands
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 12:19:08 AM

Seems too good to be true, but I guess we'll see.  May be some more consolidation in order first..  Some unexpected, random whale dumps can always fck up any pattern in Bitcoin.
SheHadMANHands
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 12:24:40 AM

Since this got no love earlier....  and it took me freakin 10 whole minutes to artistically assemble...    Cool

The mother...

Of all of the cups...

And every handle that ever lived...

JustAnotherSheep

Activity: 239

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 12:33:02 AM

6 month cup and 2 day handle? Seriously?

Is it a bull? Is it a bear? No, it's just another sheep.
SheHadMANHands
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 12:44:25 AM

6 month cup and 2 day handle? Seriously?

Good point.  Make the handle longer...

I don't think we're going to be able to make the cup smaller.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 03:45:01 AM

Yeah, after a week or so of bouncing around $200 there will be more of a handle.
spiral_mind (OP)

Activity: 146

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 08:30:45 PM

Yes 2 days was a short "handle" but obviously it wasn't done forming yet, and still isn't. Still looks on track to me though:

windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 10:44:55 PM

There is no cup and handle pattern happening.

However, what is happening now seems to be a microcosm of what the market has done since April, with a the bottom a few days ago being similar to the one in July.
freethink2013

Activity: 224

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 11:20:03 PM

These people come up with arcane theories based on no real examination of the market but completely on the shape of the charts make me laugh. No clue was had that day.

There's two things:

1. Supply.
2. Demand.

SheHadMANHands
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 11:49:26 PM

These people come up with arcane theories based on no real examination of the market but completely on the shape of the charts make me laugh. No clue was had that day.

There's two things:

1. Supply.
2. Demand.

Actually pretty solid reason behind the cup and handle:
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/cupandhandle.asp

Of course, it's really all an attempt to determine what's most probable of happening next.  It's not like "oh, gee.. obvious cup and handle.  100% we're going through the roof soon".  55% confidence would be pretty profitable.
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 03:52:50 PM

For fun, heres a giant one in silver spanning decades

Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 04:20:32 PM

There's two things:

1. Supply.
2. Demand.

That's hardly a solid reason being mention in that link, it's not even a reason. It's just a description what supposedly happens in the pattern.

Most technical "analysis" is more like astrology, pseudo-science trying to divine occult patterns from observations without proper application of scientific methods. There is a point to be made for round number and previous ATH/ATL values acting as a psychological barrier (support/resistance), but most of the other line-on-chart-drawing seems to be rather silly to me.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 04:24:38 PM

Previous trades indicate current positions.  Current positions influence future trades.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 04:34:38 PM

There's two things:

1. Supply.
2. Demand.

That's hardly a solid reason being mention in that link, it's not even a reason. It's just a description what supposedly happens in the pattern.

Most technical "analysis" is more like astrology, pseudo-science trying to divine occult patterns from observations without proper application of scientific methods. There is a point to be made for round number and previous ATH/ATL values acting as a psychological barrier (support/resistance), but most of the other line-on-chart-drawing seems to be rather silly to me.

Why trash Technical Analysis in the Speculation forums  ?  Do you prefer we just pull numbers out our asses ? Why are you here ?
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 05:02:37 PM

There's two things:

1. Supply.
2. Demand.

Why trash Technical Analysis in the Speculation forums  ?  Do you prefer we just pull numbers out our asses ? Why are you here ?

+1, TA is simply the analysis of the psychology of people playing out on the market. It is really quite fascinating.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4466

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 05:24:43 PM

Not all speculators are TA devotees. While I don't dismiss TA personally, I do take it with a large grain of salt when applied to Bitcoin.

Even scientists have been known to check their horoscopes. It's fun.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 05:32:56 PM

Not all speculators are TA devotees. While I don't dismiss TA personally, I do take it with a large grain of salt when applied to Bitcoin.

Even scientists have been known to check their horoscopes. It's fun.

Do you not take it with a grain of salt when applied to other markets? Why is bitcoin any different?
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 05:38:06 PM

I'm also bullish for the coming weeks. But not because of that cup and handle pattern.
Simply because of the increasing awareness on Bitcoin.

+1, TA is simply the analysis of the psychology of people playing out on the market. It is really quite fascinating.

TA is the attempt to analyze the market psychology. Most prediction methods in TA are not based on sound empirical evidence and are simply not reliable in the long term.

Regarding pattern analysis: You can always interpret different patterns from the very same chart. Patterns can evolve over time - so what seems to be a cup and handle pattern now could be a double top later...

However I think it is indeed useful to pay attention to volume and advance/decline slopes to come to conclusions about market force and possible exhaustion of a rise/decline in price.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████