Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:35:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a source that I once read  (Read 1176 times)
carp (OP)

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2011, 05:05:24 AM

A few years back, maybe, 5 years or so, I was browsing the web, and stumbled across a great paper. I believe it was called something like "Towards an Underground Digital Economy". It examined the question of how people might organize around the realities of anonymous dealings.

It talked a deal about different types of participants that would tend to be needed or could operate. Talked a bit about bondsman and other types of business that would be useful in such a world. Has anyone else seen this? Is it still out there somewhere?

I have tried several times to find it again, but never managed to run across it again.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
QuantumMechanic

Activity: 110
Merit: 19

View Profile
February 05, 2011, 05:25:48 AM

Is this it? https://ffij33ewbnoeqnup.onion.meshmx.com/books/Toward_A_Private_Digital_Economy/index.html
carp (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2011, 05:37:43 AM

Many thanks! That is totally the one. I must have found it through the hidden wiki, back when that was still around. That certainly explains why google didn't find it.
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
February 06, 2011, 03:19:58 AM

That's a great read. I enjoyed it.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 06, 2011, 03:30:18 AM

Sound like we're an early version of Oz.

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2011, 11:07:06 PM

I have just read this paper, very VERY interesting.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
carp (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2011, 04:57:37 AM

Sound like we're an early version of Oz.

Sure, though, that was 8 years ago too... obviously bitcoin doesn't fit exactly into his model, with no need for a central formal central authorities, even for money creation. Of course, there is also the question of how early it is... from smuggling, to simple people doing odd jobs for each other for cash or trade, many levels of underground economy have existed for... well... for as long as someone else tried to claim there was a distinction.

There is so much room for experimentation, it will be interesting to see what people come up with. I am already liking some of the initial ideas.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 07, 2011, 05:03:14 AM

Some moar reading!

http://cep.metropipe.net/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: