Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:24:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The biggest difficulty jump I have ever seen  (Read 7814 times)
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 01:33:34 PM

The real hike is coming when they ship 2 THs ASIC

When this will happen?

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
BitcoinHeroes

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 02:09:09 PM

It would be 10 TH/s ASIC after that, the technology just keep getting better Smiley
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 04:30:37 PM

It would be 10 TH/s ASIC after that, the technology just keep getting better Smiley

Probably not.  We will be at 28nm a while.  ASIC Miners didn't get better faster due to Moore's law it simply was designers "jumping ahead" to smaller processing nodes.  28nm is as economical as it gets in 2013/2014.   It will be a while before 22/20nm is cost effective.

At 28nm it looks like from three different vendors you are looking at ~0.7J /GH at the wall.  So 2 TH/s is probably around 1400W.  US 15A outlet is rated for 1440W continual load.  Now you may say in Nowhereistan the standard outlet is 240V, 33.8A but mining is perfectly parallel.  It makes little sense to sell a 2 TH/s and 4 TH/s unit you can just sell 2 TH/s units and sell some people 1 and other people 2. 

theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 04:45:24 PM

I think there will continue to be large difficulty jumps, not because of more efficient asics, but because existing 28nm chips will get lowered in price by a lot. The huge cost of making these chips is upfront. Actually producing the chip is quite cheap comparatively. While these asics will be the most effective for a while, the hardware companies will try to milk it for all its worth by slowly lowering its price. This means all of a sudden there are a ton more people purchasing. Finally when a more efficient asic comes out I expect the 28 nm ones to be producing only marginally more Bitcoin than their electricity cost.

nexus99
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 05:12:14 PM

Sad to see that big drop in BTC production. 100 GH/S really is the entry point these days. 1 BTC per day is like 1200 GH/s.
Perseus353

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 11:14:58 AM
Last edit: October 28, 2013, 04:50:34 PM by Perseus353

To be honest, it's not as bad as I thought it might be.

If you follow the trends of the network, a 45-50% jump in hashrate and difficulty was to be expected, but if the size of the network grows this much, the drop in revenue wasn't as much as I thought it would be.

I've been mining with my new Jupiter for a week now. Performance has been fluctuating 480-550 Gh/s over the past week, with daily take varying 0.81-1.1 BTC per 24h (average 1.0 per day) -- depending on performance, pool luck (BTC guild) etc.

I expected a 50% rise to mean a 30-35% drop in revenue down to about 0.6-0.7 BTC per day, but it's been better than that. Even though the the network jumped as much as it did, the daily take on the Jupiter is still 0.75-0.85.

1CkV1H1CA67CjpG5QMxEgVU9tNto51DBHd
high110

Activity: 728
Merit: 253

A Blockchain Mobile Operator With Token Rewards

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 12:24:46 PM

Why doesn't DIFFICULTY affects price? Any TL;DR?

Supply remains the same regardless of changes in difficulty.   New production remains the same regardless of difficulty.

Now price does affect supply.  When price goes up miners profits (in USD) increase and their electrical costs denominated in BTC decrease.  This fuels more hardware purchases and difficulty rises.  If prices falls then marginal miners (least efficient gear and higher energy cost) get squeezed and eventually turn off rigs so difficulty declines until price rises enough that they are profitable again .... and the cycle goes on.

But it's perception of the increase in mining gear prices and Hash that has an indirect effect on prices that drives up the value.  Most small time miners will mine when prices drop to 5 dollars.  I think it's actually the big miners that stop...since they care about profitability.  I think there are a lot of people that mine as a hobby. Not saying you're wrong...your economics sounds pretty impressive...just that there is an effect on increase/decrease difficulty. 

███
             █████
            ███████
           █████████
          ███████████
         █████████████
        ███████ ███████
       ███████   ███████
      ███████     ███████
     ███████       ███████
    ███████         ███████
   ███████           ███████
  ███████             ███████
 █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
M!RACLE TELE
BRINGING MAGIC
TO THE TELECOM INDUSTRY

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
40% Biweekly Rewards
▬▬▬   Calls at €0.2   ▬▬▬
Traffic from €0.01 worldwide

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
      ██         ██     
        ▀▌     ▐▀       
       ▄██▄▄▄▄▄██▄      
     ▄█████████████     
   ▄█████████████████▄   
  ██████▄██████▄██████  
 ▐█████████████████████▌
  ██████▀███████▀██████ 
  █████   █████   █████  
  █████████████████████  
  █████████████████    
    ███████████████    
 ▀██▄ ████████████  ▄██▀
      ▀██▀   ▀██▀   
       ▄█       █▄
ANN
Lightpaper
Bounty
Facebook
Twitter
Telegram
rampalija

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 02:55:39 PM

man when they launch new ASICs the difficultiy will increase faster and faster!

waltermot321

Activity: 322

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 02:58:29 PM

100%, which incur few month from now..

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 03:40:18 PM

If you follow the trends of the network, a 45-50% jump in hashrate and difficulty was to be expected, but if the size of the network grows

I've been mining with my new Jupiter for a week now. Performance has been fluctuating 480-550 Gh/s over the past week, with daily take varying 0.81-1.1 BTC per 24h (average 1.0 per day) -- depending on performance, pool luck (BTC guild) etc.

I expected a 50% rise to mean a 30-35% drop in revenue down to about 0.6-0.7 BTC per day, but it's been better than that. Even though the the network jumped as much as it did, the daily take on the Jupiter is still 0.75-0.85.

Your revenue is based on difficulty.  Until difficulty adjusts of course you will make the same revenue.  If difficulty adjusts up 50% then you will make 1/1.50 = 66% of what you were making before.
amencon

Activity: 410

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 04:19:18 PM

Sad to see that big drop in BTC production. 100 GH/S really is the entry point these days. 1 BTC per day is like 1200 GH/s.
100 GH/S is meaningless as an "entry point" figure.
Perseus353

Activity: 125

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 04:52:44 PM

If you follow the trends of the network, a 45-50% jump in hashrate and difficulty was to be expected, but if the size of the network grows

Your revenue is based on difficulty.  Until difficulty adjusts of course you will make the same revenue.  If difficulty adjusts up 50% then you will make 1/1.50 = 66% of what you were making before.

I know, that's what I was expecting, but it turned out better than that. It could be pool luck, but it was 0.9-1.0 btc per day average in the past week, and I expected it to drop to 0.65 -- but it's been better than that, to my surprise  0.75-0.85 per day.

1CkV1H1CA67CjpG5QMxEgVU9tNto51DBHd
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 05:48:27 PM

Luck, improved firmware, you rig was underperforming on the prior difficulty period.  In the long run your reward for a given amount of hashpower is 1:1 inversely tied to difficulty.
rampalija

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 07:51:53 PM

i dont see it is profitable to buy any ASIC miners now, only if u have free power suply

sheebang

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 08:25:19 PM

i dont see it is profitable to buy any ASIC miners now, only if u have free power suply

Even if you have free power you may be tempted to do something more profitable with it than mining. Not getting payment for electricity isn't funny.
high110

Activity: 728
Merit: 253

A Blockchain Mobile Operator With Token Rewards

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 11:44:00 PM

I think if you make the hardware, then it's profitable =) Wish I knew how to make it!

███
             █████
            ███████
           █████████
          ███████████
         █████████████
        ███████ ███████
       ███████   ███████
      ███████     ███████
     ███████       ███████
    ███████         ███████
   ███████           ███████
  ███████             ███████
 █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
M!RACLE TELE
BRINGING MAGIC
TO THE TELECOM INDUSTRY

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
40% Biweekly Rewards
▬▬▬   Calls at €0.2   ▬▬▬
Traffic from €0.01 worldwide

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
      ██         ██     
        ▀▌     ▐▀       
       ▄██▄▄▄▄▄██▄      
     ▄█████████████     
   ▄█████████████████▄   
  ██████▄██████▄██████  
 ▐█████████████████████▌
  ██████▀███████▀██████ 
  █████   █████   █████  
  █████████████████████  
  █████████████████    
    ███████████████    
 ▀██▄ ████████████  ▄██▀
      ▀██▀   ▀██▀   
       ▄█       █▄
ANN
Lightpaper
Bounty
Facebook
Twitter
Telegram
waltermot321

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 12:56:37 AM

Even if you have free power you may be tempted to do something more profitable with it than mining. Not getting payment for electricity isn't funny.

I think mining is the most profitable for free electricity, maybe baking cakes too...

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 01:01:17 AM

I think mining is the most profitable for free electricity, maybe baking cakes too...

The way things are now, buying a miner will be a loss even with free electricity and no miner wear whatsoever. Difficulty grows exponentially and the profit from a miner will never reach the cost of the miner.
waltermot321

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 01:04:29 AM

The way things are now, buying a miner will be a loss even with free electricity and no miner wear whatsoever. Difficulty grows exponentially and the profit from a miner will never reach the cost of the miner.

Wait until the difficulty increase to a level where electricity is the main problem. Buying 2TH/s with free electricity might be the clear winner...

petersiddle98

Activity: 272

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 02:11:06 AM

If you have free electricity, don't go for ASIC. Go for primecoin..

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: