Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:41:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbies, stay away from altcoins. please  (Read 9146 times)
adolf512

Activity: 532
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 10:57:49 AM

Quark would be the more promising one and adolf has absolutely no clue what he is talking about.
ofcourse you say that when you are involved in the quarkscam. quarkcoin is an ideal coin for a 51% attack... cpu friendly and almost nothing to miners soon. it's already beginning to loose a lot of value and i guess it will reach it's intrinsic value this year, ZERO

besides being botnet friendly, quark is just another shitcoin.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 11:08:19 AM

Most of the noobs are thinking that it is too difficult to mine Bitcoins now. So they are turning to newer altcoins instead. In reality, some of these recent altcoins include spyware and trojans which can steal your Bitcoins. So better be safe now than be sorry later.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 12:13:14 PM

Litecoin is pretty good and has a good developer base. its the silver of the crypto-world and the second largest coin out there. its not a pre-mined scam coin like quark or others:

http://letstalkbitcoin.com/e71-blockchain-tools-and-litecoin-devs/

https://litecointalk.org/

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:25:04 PM

Litecoin is pretty good and has a good developer base. its the silver of the crypto-world and the second largest coin out there. its not a pre-mined scam coin like quark or others:

http://letstalkbitcoin.com/e71-blockchain-tools-and-litecoin-devs/

https://litecointalk.org/

I have neutral views about Litecoin. It seems legit and was not premined. The basics are also solid. But the point is that it doesn't have a single advantage over the Bitcoin.
dontBreadOnMe

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:30:26 PM

CoinedUp.com is now exchanging btc for RonPaulCoin.  Both seem sound.  Any reason not to trust this exchange or the coin?
hentzikov

Activity: 39

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:47:12 PM

Being all in Bitcoin to start out with is excellent advice.  Don't try to chase the pump coins like doge or sexcoin.

They are intentionally pump and dump coins to get founders their money quickly in the short-term and leaves many holding the bag.
1337chaos

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:51:19 PM

See this is the opposite of what I've noticed. Yes, bitcoins and litecoins are sound investments because they're basically gold and silver, but most of these other altcoins can be traded for either of them, and my hashrate gains me a lot more net profit by mining these altcoins and trading them for bitcoin or litecoin immediately. So while the altcoins might be considered riskier, it's also a better investment to mine them outright and trade them for the more well-known coins. That's just my perspective, anyways.
MCR

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 04:13:48 PM

This is 100% true.
mishax1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 12:07:33 PM

cheap mastercoins https://www.masterxchange.com/market.php     you should hurry...
coolz

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 12:13:46 PM

Only mining here and for the BTC or LTC it is really impossible.
ppawel

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 12:41:28 PM

Hi there!

You can try to warn of altcoins but it seems that is why many new people become attracted in any cryptocurrencies. Obviously some of them will waste their time and power for mining "nothing" (while some will make good deal, even very short-term before currency dies) but it could be lesson why main currencies are stable and more trustworth than short-living alternatives.

However I don't exclude that some (really really very few) altcoins could stay with us for years (and that's again why it is so attractive to "just try" new coins). It's just a business like many others with many pros and cons - the difference is that some things happen here faster.
ozkraut

Activity: 522
Merit: 266

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:40:21 AM
Last edit: January 14, 2014, 10:08:24 AM by ozkraut

I got into this late November starting with an Nvidia card (465 gtx - now doing 140 is kh's thanks to Cristians latest cudaminer - must send donation...) of all things....

First mined bitcoin but learned quickly that this wasn't going anywhere. Then started mining LTC which prompted me to 'upgrade' to an AMD card and press two other pc's into service, one with an AMD (7870) the other inheriting my old Nvidia. Running at +- 700kh/s now combined. This slowly got some results but still more on the glacial side of progress....
Now have completely switched to altcoins since about mid Dec in terms of mining which are then exchanged to btc / ltc. Doge, some multipool bits & pieces and now some '42 coin' for a couple of days to see how it goes. Got some 150 'Dents' since lunch today. Not much but..who knows.....

Slowly accumulating some more long term coins (mainly LTC) and 'careful ' daytrading' now sometimes brings me 3 or 4 times what I can mine in a day. Slowly starting to see an exponential curve to take hold as each successful swing earns more & more coins. Not doing it for the $ btw. Purely to increase my coinholding eg a short is fine if it increases my coins from when they were sold. Without alts I'll be dead in the water with my hashrate...

A lot is philosophical for me. I abhor central banks / international banking and have so for a long time. So I have to passionately support this - hah a peer to peer currency backed by trust by the community using it - see ya to the banking system once we can pay for day to day things. Best thing that has been invented since the .308 and the internet. And I can't wait to see the epic struggle to come when we get critical mass....So go mine altcoins and be merry methinks.

Monero - Wir sind die Leute vor denen uns unsere Eltern gewarnt haben!
mishax1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:57:18 AM

OP here..   check this out! - https://leancy.com
claudiadesigner

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 10:21:04 AM

This is all very confusing for me, too many options. But I have quite a few friends recommending NXT and NEM. What do you guys think about them?
Leogheo

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 11:31:11 AM

I was told Memory coin was worth mining and investing in - isn't tht true?
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 05:19:00 PM

I was told Memory coin was worth mining and investing in - isn't tht true?

mining probably...investing probably not...

I pretty much agree with OP, and believe 99% of altcoins are just for pumps and dumps.
You may get profit/loss with short-term trading though...
Swalters

Activity: 30

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 08:59:21 PM

I invested in NEM. Let's see what happens.
apsvinet

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:16:13 PM

But doge is very coin, such wow :<

∎               GAWMiners The Hashlet World's first digital cloud miner!
∎∎∎   No pool fees Instant activation Never obsolete Always profitable
colenarymagick

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 03:35:53 AM

I think it is too early to tell what purpose the altcoins will serve. But I find each of them equally fascinating. I hope they all make it the moon!
digitalninja81

Activity: 91

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:48:12 AM

Been reading info for noobs, here and at other places.

Lots of people tell the newcomers to just invest in BTC by buying them.

However, I know people who mine for altcoins and succeed.

So it looks like it makes perfect sense to go for certain altcoins as long as you're careful and know what you're doing, don't you think?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: