Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:22:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I found a Christian I actually agree with  (Read 784 times)
Mike Christ (OP)
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 09:17:15 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YXINEYdnkY

Ignoring the pop music, I have finally found a Christian who has overcome religion and focused solely on the very point of Christianity: to be like Christ.  She has accepted her views as incompatible with reason, because they do not belong together; she has allowed herself to breathe, to experience life without the burden of carrying some life's mission to make everyone like her, for she has accepted, if Christianity is the true method of living, people should flock to it naturally: by being like Christ, opposed to be a "Christian", she will show why she believes Christ's ethics are superior to others.  This is the same ethic followed by Libertarians; "prove it's better and people will follow", where in contrast, it is the Authoritarian who feels the need to convert, for people would otherwise not naturally follow.

As an atheist, I applaud her, and I was certainly pleasantly surprised; I was expecting another "be like me or burn in hell" video.  I sincerely hope this is a coming trend, because I've known far too many "Christians" who are anything but Christ-like, and yet still want to call themselves so because they went to church and read the Bible.  Likewise, to abandon organized religion is to further decentralize the power religion can hold over us, thus making a person more inclined to be lawful around their fellow man than simply abiding by what the central source says (which we have seen, in both religion and politics, what such central power is capable of.)

Edit: Also, what the hell is going on with the fellow with the hebrew name?  I think he's having a breakdown.

"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 11:19:48 PM

Ignoring the pop music, I have finally found a Christian who has overcome religion and focused solely on the very point of Christianity: to be like Christ.  She has accepted her views as incompatible with reason, because they do not belong together; she has allowed herself to breathe, to experience life without the burden of carrying some life's mission to make everyone like her, for she has accepted, if Christianity is the true method of living, people should flock to it naturally: by being like Christ, opposed to be a "Christian", she will show why she believes Christ's ethics are superior to others.  This is the same ethic followed by Libertarians; "prove it's better and people will follow", where in contrast, it is the Authoritarian who feels the need to convert, for people would otherwise not naturally follow.

As an atheist, I applaud her, and I was certainly pleasantly surprised; I was expecting another "be like me or burn in hell" video.  I sincerely hope this is a coming trend, because I've known far too many "Christians" who are anything but Christ-like, and yet still want to call themselves so because they went to church and read the Bible.  Likewise, to abandon organized religion is to further decentralize the power religion can hold over us, thus making a person more inclined to be lawful around their fellow man than simply abiding by what the central source says (which we have seen, in both religion and politics, what such central power is capable of.)

Edit: Also, what the hell is going on with the fellow with the hebrew name?  I think he's having a breakdown.

Not too many are willing to live in barns, visit prostitutes, hold the hands of lepers, Turning the other cheek and willing to die for their belief.

No one told me to believe in a superior mind. It felt natural for me. I understand why the opposite exists also. One of my favorite video is the conversation with Jillette's book and Beck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3LnVa7zXgc
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 01:06:20 PM

There are a sizable minority of Christians that have something like this in world view.  I have a suspicion it is based more on a person's fundamental character traits than anything else.

Convert a jerk, he becomes a Christian jerk....etc.
Mike Christ (OP)
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 03:50:41 PM

There are a sizable minority of Christians that have something like this in world view.  I have a suspicion it is based more on a person's fundamental character traits than anything else.

Tell me about it; my Catholic stepfather is the most abusive piece of trash to walk this earth, and yet he is God-fearing and Christ-following etc., goes to church and prays and all the other religious nonsense.

If it's true that some people simply cannot be as Christ, Christianity becomes a moot point; why bother practicing the religion when the fundamental point of practicing Christianity cannot be accomplished?  Alas, you can't tell that to most Christians without them getting up in arms about how you're some kind of Godless, immoral heathen; it ceases to be a set of ethical practices for better living and becomes an excuse for one's behavior.

Not too many are willing to live in barns, visit prostitutes, hold the hands of lepers, Turning the other cheek and willing to die for their belief.

No one told me to believe in a superior mind. It felt natural for me. I understand why the opposite exists also. One of my favorite video is the conversation with Jillette's book and Beck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3LnVa7zXgc

The core ideas behind Christ are something I agree with; it takes a little effort to translate them from then to now, but they can be applicable to the modern world.  However, I believe the danger is in assuming Christ must be the end-all law of what is and isn't right, opposed to a foundation to allow a person to develop their own code of ethics.  I don't find it at all unnatural to recognize a superior philosopher--nobody is born knowing everything.  However, I do believe a person should spend their lives trying to overcome their heroes, to be either as successful as the people they admire or beyond.  When a person spends their entire lives trying to be like Christ but failing, I can only assume the person isn't actually trying; in this case, the person was only told about Christ as a child and never expected to actually follow his teachings.  This is where I see the dividing line between religion and the philosophy of ethics; unrelated, this is also where I see the opportunity for abuse: the major difference between a person who follows Christ and a person who obeys Christ is in whether the person will subject themselves to a higher authority without referring to their own developed ethics, or someone who can identify when their views are being abused by the one who speaks for the higher power.

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 05:33:31 PM

Tell me about it; my Catholic stepfather is the most abusive piece of trash to walk this earth, and yet he is God-fearing and Christ-following etc., goes to church and prays and all the other religious nonsense.

If it's true that some people simply cannot be as Christ, Christianity becomes a moot point; why bother practicing the religion when the fundamental point of practicing Christianity cannot be accomplished?  ....
You ain't seen nothing.

Try some Muslim jerks.
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 08:07:55 PM

I think practising Mindfulness is better. I am not religious, but this is from Buddhism. I use it to have reduce stress. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nwwKbM_vJc
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 08:30:54 PM

Live in barns? Visit prostitutes? Hang out with lepers and turn the other cheek? That sounds like Phinneas Gage! He's even got the beard!
Mike Christ (OP)
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 11:48:40 PM

Live in barns? Visit prostitutes? Hang out with lepers and turn the other cheek? That sounds like Phinneas Gage! He's even got the beard!

So his identity is revealed Shocked He's the reincarnation of Christ!

BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 04:42:38 AM

Great Video.  Thanks for sharing.  Smiley

As a Christian myself I agree with her and had a similar journey for sure.  I probably still catch myself wanting to be "right" sometimes and I actually feel convicted for that.  It is really hard when I feel so strongly about my beliefs to want to defend them though, and I really love a good debate. Wink But debating for the sake of just debating is not necessarily beneficial and the best thing to do is just be a "friend" and love others just like they are.  I agree, it is NOT my job to change others.  I guess the only thing I still struggle with how to share what I believe without being offensive, because I really do want them to know how much Jesus loves them, and not seem so pushy at the same time?  It is harder than it sounds.  I guess some would say to just shut-up and not say anything at all but that would be like keeping this amazing treasure I found all to myself and not sharing it either and we are told to "go and spread the good news."  But I guess there is a way to do that without being a "jerk" for sure! 

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Mike Christ (OP)
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 05:06:11 AM

Great Video.  Thanks for sharing.  Smiley

As a Christian myself I agree with her and had a similar journey for sure.  I probably still catch myself wanting to be "right" sometimes and I actually feel convicted for that.  It is really hard when I feel so strongly about my beliefs to want to defend them though, and I really love a good debate. Wink But debating for the sake of just debating is not necessarily beneficial and the best thing to do is just be a "friend" and love others just like they are.  I agree, it is NOT my job to change others.  I guess the only thing I still struggle with how to share what I believe without being offensive, because I really do want them to know how much Jesus loves them, and not seem so pushy at the same time?  It is harder than it sounds.  I guess some would say to just shut-up and not say anything at all but that would be like keeping this amazing treasure I found all to myself and not sharing it either and we are told to "go and spread the good news."  But I guess there is a way to do that without being a "jerk" for sure!  

Yes; I believe the best method to Christianity is Christ's method; for example, Christ did not necessarily proselytize Judaism, though he was Jewish.  Christ did not want to push any religion specifically on people; his method was to simply show, through his actions, why his methods were beneficial and more preferable to the alternatives, which were essentially immorality and hypocrisy.  I do find that debating can help, for it helps us to understand our own beliefs, but the point of a debate is never to be right or wrong, or to be the winner, but for each to leave the debate with a better understanding of themselves and the other; a debate should always be thought of as a win-win situation, which is why I tend to avoid certain people who get into arguments only to put the other person down as "wrong", which does happen and I'm sure you know what it feels to be against those types.

So long as you practice Christ's methods, you will naturally accrue a following to his teachings; merely speaking of him and his ways is not enough for most people, and it's something I very much disagree with in the evangelists, who can often be overbearing or sometimes holier-than-thou in their methodology, as though Christianity is the only option with all other religions as wrong; I don't believe this to be true, for we cannot know which religion is true or if any are the best ways to live, all we can do is practice and see, for ourselves, if the practice is good or not.  This is enormously important for all those religious; it matters not how much a person follows a religion if they do not practice what they preach, and this seems to be the majority, or in the very least the ones who stick out most within the major religions, which has caused negative views and the infamous saying, "I love God; It's His fan club I can't stand" among many followers Tongue

As Gandhi may or may not have said, "Be the change you want to see in the world."

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: