Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:13:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2018-03-24] Quebec Pushes Hydropower Utility to Halt New Bitcoin Mines  (Read 223 times)
fat buddah (OP)

Activity: 329
Merit: 102

Get Ready to Make money.

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 03:00:46 PM

The Canadian province of Quebec has temporarily put a halt to the development of new cryptocurrency mining operations.

The region - known for its cheap hydropower - has been an attractive destination for cryptocurrency miners looking to expand their businesses. Yet on Friday, Canadian newspaper Les Affaires reported that operators tied to utility firm Hydro-Quebec are turning down new clients, in part due to the demands placed on the hydroelectric dam by existing operations.

https://www.coindesk.com/hydro-quebec-suspends-new-mining-operations/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 03:41:54 PM

It's actually good news. They had so many people apply that they have to start denying them because they can't generate enough power Cheesy This shows the demand for BTC mining. And I remember back in 2015 people were saying that mining is dead because the miners won't be able to make money in a declining market. Now so many people want back in that there will have to be new power plants built just for them. This is how it should work - growing demand will make people think of ways to satisfy it.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Coffee135

Activity: 392
Merit: 137

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 04:15:10 PM

After green started screaming about the fact that energy production is killing the nature, the governments of many countries ceased to develop power. I think I now need to reconsider this decision. I do not believe green. It seems to me that they are hired to destroy competitors. I hope that Canada will not fight with the miners.
Jating

Activity: 2926
Merit: 808

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 12:45:57 AM

After green started screaming about the fact that energy production is killing the nature, the governments of many countries ceased to develop power. I think I now need to reconsider this decision. I do not believe green. It seems to me that they are hired to destroy competitors. I hope that Canada will not fight with the miners.

No, as what has @darkangel11 has said, the demand was to high for Quebec that why they have to push miners because Quebec can't cope with the demands from bitcoin miners. So it only makes sense for them to halt them.

What the miners can't do is just shift to other nations with abundance of electricity and very cheap. So at least all mining farms not are evenly divided across the globe as opposed to China having a complete monopoly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: