Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:35:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How mining demand affects Bitcoin prices.  (Read 2374 times)
nutschig (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 12:28:56 AM

It is often said there is no relation between mining and the value of Bitcoin.

I propose there is some overlap, due to the forces of miners themselves. Miners choose between investing in Bitcoin, or investing in mining. This unites the two in economics.

When Bitcoin:fiat is low, they buy Bitcoin. When Bitcoin:fiat is high, they buy into mining.

Hence, the difficulty of mining and the exchange rate of Bitcoin are somewhat related.

I make no claims about how strong this relationship is.

Thanks for hearing me out, what do you think?
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dani

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

..yeah

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 08:14:16 AM

I agree though this logic won't apply to most miners. Many are immune to math etc. But i feel people are not so much willing to sell their coins for low anymore because they can't roi, which most miners want to achieve. So they will like to keep the higher prices instead of selling low because they now saw its no big deal to keep around the new price. We should see this again when difficulty goes mad again. And it sure will.

edit: sure there was some speculation into this last price race as well, we ran too high too fast, like last time, therefore another dip and a little rollercoast.

Hai
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 04:05:50 PM

Those who think price only affects difficulty as a one way function are logically impaired.
dani

..yeah

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 05:41:16 PM

Those who think price only affects difficulty as a one way function are logically impaired.
Great contribution. Keep it up.

Nobody said one way connection anyway

Hai
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 08:40:27 PM

Correction:  dozens of people in (probably) dozens of threads have said that it's a one way function.  No need for the snide remark, it's a common misconception on this forum.
dani

..yeah

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 08:46:30 PM

Correction:  dozens of people in (probably) dozens of threads have said that it's a one way function.  No need for the snide remark, it's a common misconception on this forum.

I apologizie, I didn't know  Cool. I don't bother much with mining speculation anyway, so I don't read the other threads. So yes, people who think this is a one way connection are pretty much retarded, like people not able to do the math.  Smiley

Hai
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: