Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:05:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: is bitcoin bigger than we think?  (Read 9777 times)
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 10:40:00 PM

I think that Bitcoin is as big as I think it is - a $2B economy with >10K businesses and hundreds of thousands of users.

Based on data from http://www.similarweb.com/website/bitcointalk.org, it looks like the forum gets about 1M pageviews per day.

Google:
how do I buy

look at what comes up
You do know that Google search results and autocomplete are targeted? If you look at Bitcoin all day, it will give you Bitcoin-related results... It has little to do with Bitcoin's popularity.

^ this

I though people already knows this

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 10:43:50 PM

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+do+i+buy

Duck duck go doesn't bubble you like google does. Bitcoin is 8th.
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 11:30:14 PM

Kind'a unsettling.  Seems like most people want to learn how to buy a house (so many flavors of that question in the top 10).  When they're not looking for a house, they want to figure out where to buy an iPhone (3rd).  And, once all of the basics are taken care of, and we're past the Top 10, a few eggheads still want to learn how to buy a book (11).
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 11:45:07 PM

First on my list seems to be 'a handjob.'  How bizarre.  ...

As meni said: autocomplete is targeted to your personal needs.

Doh!  Note to self: Read the whole thread before posting.

Actually, I thought that the individualized auto-completion was common knowledge or at least pretty self-evident to most.  In fact I actually would rather buy a handjob than a [sp]i-phone but those fuckin' prudes at Google need to make everything family friendly or something I guess.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
winnate

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 12:06:53 AM

Google:
how do I buy

look at what comes up

Oh ma gawd Kewl!

Cool
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 12:21:28 AM

Kind'a unsettling.  Seems like most people want to learn how to buy a house (so many flavors of that question in the top 10).  When they're not looking for a house, they want to figure out where to buy an iPhone (3rd).  And, once all of the basics are taken care of, and we're past the Top 10, a few eggheads still want to learn how to buy a book (11).

It's hard to read outside in the rain and people like reading on their iPhone Kindle App?

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 01:24:17 AM

It's hard to read outside in the rain and people like reading on their iPhone Kindle App?

Got it, thanks.  Gotta own a house & an iPhone before buying a book.
*More surprised that most of the Top 10 questions were variations on buying a house.  I always assumed that by the time you're ready, you know enough not to ask "how do i buy a house?"
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 03:48:56 AM

Google:
how do I buy

look at what comes up

Very neat. Was in second place for me. Quite surprised by that.

Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 05:29:33 AM

That's pretty impressive.  Is there a way to see how many times search terms involving the word Bitcoin were done, and the growth of this?

trends.google.com
That seem to show news articles.

Looking in google keyword planner, it shows bitcoin has 830k searches per month on average. Which is a lot more than I expected.
On the other hand, minecraft has 10 million searches per month.

Nice, anyway to see how fast this has grown in the past 2 years?
Blockchain.info is also ranked fairly high.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Hfleer

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 05:53:47 AM

Got it now.

Was looking good in April, price drop killed it.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 10:12:37 AM

Knowing Google results are targeted makes me a little sick.

I Googled "how do I sell" and was prompted with "my kidney "

WTF Google do you think I'm that hard off that I'm prepared to sacrifice a kidney as well as my productive years to keep the boomers system running.

You can 'untarget' Google by clearing cookies, logging out, using google.com/ncr, and changing your IP address.
ManBearPig

Activity: 350

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 10:22:52 AM

I think that Bitcoin is as big as I think it is - a $2B economy with >10K businesses and hundreds of thousands of users.

Based on data from http://www.similarweb.com/website/bitcointalk.org, it looks like the forum gets about 1M pageviews per day.

Google:
how do I buy

look at what comes up
You do know that Google search results and autocomplete are targeted? If you look at Bitcoin all day, it will give you Bitcoin-related results... It has little to do with Bitcoin's popularity.

^ this

^^ this again because it's important.

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
jaime

Activity: 339

División de Poderes s.XXI es Descentralización

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 04:39:35 PM

Google:
how do I buy

look at what comes up

^ this

That's true only if you allow Google to keep your search history

wtfvanity

Activity: 504

WTF???

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 04:42:24 PM

Google:
how do I buy

look at what comes up

^ this

That's not true either. Even if you don't have it keep your history, it keeps a history based on IP address. Try using a proxy and see how different your results are.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 05:16:16 PM

WTF Google do you think I'm that hard off that I'm prepared to sacrifice a kidney as well as my productive years to keep the boomers system running.

The kidney thing is a joke, right?  I assume so, and find it wildly amusing due to my twisted sense of humor.

At 'ki' I first showed 'kindle' for me, but kidney did appear.  Interestingly there was no option for just "How do I sell my kid".  I wonder if Google specifically coded that out.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Ford (OP)

Activity: 120

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 05:22:14 PM

Google:
how do I buy

look at what comes up

^ this

That's not true either. Even if you don't have it keep your history, it keeps a history based on IP address. Try using a proxy and see how different your results are.

I am sure Google do keep your IP address, but i doubt it effects your search results, as it would not be classed as a reliable method.
An IP address can and does change, and can then be assigned to different people, so any targeted search results would then become un-relevant (which is exactly what google does not want).
Also office/home networks (or similar) will all give the same IP address to google, so again the targeted search would become unreliable.

I do however think that all the people posting here that have "how to buy bitcoin" in their results are seeing the effects of targeted searching.
I carefully block googles tracking cookies (and empty my cookies that i need to accept several times a day) and i am not seeing any bitcoin related results within the first 50 google results.

(+ if you use a proxy, would you still not see the targeted results based on the proxies IP.......)

either way, the alexa results and google trends/suggested terms are showing a fast increase in bitcoin popularity

Best Regards
Ford

RoadToHell

Activity: 260

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 05:24:59 PM

*More surprised that most of the Top 10 questions were variations on buying a house.  I always assumed that by the time you're ready, you know enough not to ask "how do i buy a house?"
lol - Unfortunately, as we found out in 2008, there are a lot of people that are not ready to buy houses that are buying them anyway.

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 05:40:11 PM

lol - Unfortunately, as we found out in 2008, there are a lot of people that are not ready to buy houses that are buying them anyway.

I was ready at the end of 2010.  The project interfered with enough interest in Bitcoin to have pulled the source code.  How many millions I lost by buying that house will never be known.  There is a small consolation in that the rental is providing a decent return stream...by mainstream investment standards at least.

Hfleer

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 08:02:28 PM

Search volume in my earlier post is actually worse than I expected think it's an accurate reflection of how well known it is minus the fluctuation due to price jumping, etc.   I checked 'pokemon', gets 3 million hits, just randomly something I picked.  I would like to see what it looks like on Baidu also.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 09:09:18 PM

The kidney thing is a joke, right?  I assume so, and find it wildly amusing due to my twisted sense of humor.

At 'ki' I first showed 'kindle' for me, but kidney did appear.  Interestingly there was no option for just "How do I sell my kid".  I wonder if Google specifically coded that out.

Possibly due to this post, kidney is appearing for me now Tongue

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: