Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:27:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Did I just loose access to my Bitcoins?  (Read 1459 times)
ATPDMJ (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 11:29:44 AM

Hi everybody,

Back in april 2013 I put about 17 bitcoins in a wallet from Bitcoin Wallet by Andreas Schildbach. The app/wallet was downloaded to my Samsung tablet, and I didn't give it much thought afterwards.

A software updated faulted, which deleted all my apps including the Bitcoin Wallet.

I then checked the settings on the tablet, which said, that it was set up to "automatic restore" which means, that when reinstalling an app, backed up data and settings will be restored.

I thought I had set up the tablet to run automatic backups to SCloud, but no. I actually have no back up what so ever.

So, I reinstalled til Bitcoin Wallet, and the app just generated a new bitcoin adress. It does not seem possible to import the correct bitcoin adress to the Bitcoin Wallet.

I still have the correct bitcoin adress, but have I lost access to them forever?

I really hope, there is a solution to this problem. I've read a whole lot on the internet, but the posible solutions- thT I've found interesting to check out - are beyond my computer-tech capabilities.

Any help would be highly appriciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ATPDMJ (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 11:48:57 AM

You should try to contact their helpdesk.

It doesn't seem like Bitcoin Wallet has a helpdesk.

Anybody know how to get in touch with the devolper Andrea Schildbach?
avalonlove

Activity: 8

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 12:04:58 PM

I think you're pretty screwed to get those back
thddx

Activity: 22

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 12:13:32 PM

Yeah, unless you manage to find/recover a backup, they are gone forever.

Sorry for your loss.
TheDragonSlayer

Activity: 273
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 12:19:15 PM

If you dont have backup, your btc is pretty much burned.

tunctioncloud

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 12:19:56 PM

Try contact some recovery data company. Do not work on the tablet anymore, there is some chance the wallet will be on the reformatted memory if this part of memory is not still overwritten
j68r

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 12:24:06 PM

Until problems like this can be unwound I see little future for btc in a wider monetary context. It's only ever going to be a novelty store of value.

1Bjgt6S6Mk3GsAPM4Mx4RGS4zYhoFURyCZ
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 01:33:14 PM

Until problems like this can be unwound I see little future for btc in a wider monetary context. It's only ever going to be a novelty store of value.

Right, because the reason other forms of currency (such as USD) have a future in a wider monetary context is that if they burn up or get flushed down the toilet, or are otherwise permanently lost, the situation can be "unwound".
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 01:43:28 PM

Sorry for what appears likely to be a permanent loss.

I incessantly push paper wallets.  Paper wallets behave exactly the way you expect them to, since you already know how a piece of paper works.  If you can create them securely and keep snoopy eyes from copying the private key, they will not forget your bitcoins, except unless flushed down the toilet, burned, lost, etc.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 02:08:18 PM

Sorry, but if you had no backup, the bitcoins are forever lost.
Next time, be sure the wallet is actually secure before depositing any coins into it.
ATPDMJ (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 03:34:34 PM

Quote from: monbux =319625.msg3420970#msg3420970 date=1382882898
Next time, be sure the wallet is actually secure before depositing any coins into it.

There definitaly won't be a next time for me. There still is to many uncertainties connected with investing in bitcoins IMO for me to be willing to invest again. It takes a little more computer technological skills, than an average Joe like me has, to fully understand how to secure ones bitcoins. The whole point for me in investing in bitcoins was, that it was a easy, cheap and untraceable way to transfer values.

The paradoks is, that the anonymous aspect of the currency also makes it impossible to claim ownership of bitcoins, when technical problems makes the bitcoins unaccessable.
Of course one could argue, that it is stupid not to secure, that I actually had a backup (and it definately was), but I didn't really expect this to happen because I didn't do a full reasearch on how the wallet works.

I will try to find a tablet-geek in hopes that he can find and restore the file, but it does not sound like there is a lot of hope for my bitcoins.

So, I learned that bitcoins are not for me. It's just a shame, that this lesson cost me around 3.500 $. :-/

Thanks to everybody for your responses. If anybody has any other possible solutions in hand, please feel free to share them with me.
moneyboss

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 04:04:17 PM

You have to be very careful and pro active when dealing with bitcoin because hacks do happen even if u use google auth.

I withdraw when i have about 3-5 btc in my wallet. i hope that helps in the future.
Andreas Schildbach

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 04:31:45 PM

Sorry to hear your loss.

How do you mean it uninstalled all apps? Were there any apps left, or more important, were there any configurations/customizations left?

I'd try the following: In the app, go to Options > Settings > Report issue. In the report it generates you'll see a list of files in the app private directory. There will be a backup file in there for every day you used the app. If it still contains the backup files from before the date the tablet misbehaved, you'll hopefully be fine. You can use Options > Backup > Restore (select the correct backup file, look at the date) to restore the backup.

Does that help?
ATPDMJ (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 05:08:37 PM

Sorry to hear your loss.

How do you mean it uninstalled all apps? Were there any apps left, or more important, were there any configurations/customizations left?

I'd try the following: In the app, go to Options > Settings > Report issue. In the report it generates you'll see a list of files in the app private directory. There will be a backup file in there for every day you used the app. If it still contains the backup files from before the date the tablet misbehaved, you'll hopefully be fine. You can use Options > Backup > Restore (select the correct backup file, look at the date) to restore the backup.

Does that help?

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for replying to my thread.

I really don't remember, if there was any apps/configurations left, since it happen a couple of months ago. But as far as I can recall, it was like a "factory reset".

Unfortunately, it does not contain files from before I reinstalled the app. So there is still no access to my original bitcoin adress...
Andreas Schildbach

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 05:47:11 PM

Sorry to hear your loss.

Does that help?

Hi Andreas,

I really don't remember, if there was any apps/configurations left, since it happen a couple of months ago. But as far as I can recall, it was like a "factory reset".

Unfortunately, it does not contain files from before I reinstalled the app. So there is still no access to my original bitcoin adress...

Damn. In this case, I think all you can try is dumping a disk image of your filesystem(s) and grep that for private keys. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that (I'm not a modder guy). Can someone else tell how to do that? (Probably ask at the Cyanogenmod forums.) If you have that filesystem image, I can tell you how to proceed.

And yes, if you plan to acquire a disk image, its best to not use the tablet until you try.
ATPDMJ (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 06:15:38 PM

Sorry to hear your loss.

Does that help?

Hi Andreas,

Damn. In this case, I think all you can try is dumping a disk image of your filesystem(s) and grep that for private keys. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that (I'm not a modder guy). Can someone else tell how to do that? (Probably ask at the Cyanogenmod forums.) If you have that filesystem image, I can tell you how to proceed.

And yes, if you plan to acquire a disk image, its best to not use the tablet until you try.

Thanks for your input.

Even though I don't have the slightest idea about, what your advise means, I will try to see, if I can lean to understand it tomorrow.
coqui33

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 06:34:14 PM
Last edit: October 28, 2013, 03:21:42 AM by coqui33

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition No. 302

Armed Citizens and the Law -- NRA-certified firearms instructor
Andreas Schildbach

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 06:36:39 PM

Ok, some more questions:
- Does you device have an SD card slot?
- Is it already rooted?
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 06:41:37 PM

Right, because the reason other forms of currency (such as USD) have a future in a wider monetary context is that if they burn up or get flushed down the toilet, or are otherwise permanently lost, the situation can be "unwound".

Of course, unlike paper currency, you actually can back up a private key, so that even if your wallet is destroyed, you can restore it.  That is, if you have the sense of a gerbil.
Mr. Sway

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 06:42:10 PM

Quote from: monbux =319625.msg3420970#msg3420970 date=1382882898

There definitaly won't be a next time for me. There still is to many uncertainties connected with investing in bitcoins IMO for me to be willing to invest again. It takes a little more computer technological skills, than an average Joe like me has, to fully understand how to secure ones bitcoins. The whole point for me in investing in bitcoins was, that it was a easy, cheap and untraceable way to transfer values.

The paradoks is, that the anonymous aspect of the currency also makes it impossible to claim ownership of bitcoins, when technical problems makes the bitcoins unaccessable.
Of course one could argue, that it is stupid not to secure, that I actually had a backup (and it definately was), but I didn't really expect this to happen because I didn't do a full reasearch on how the wallet works.

I will try to find a tablet-geek in hopes that he can find and restore the file, but it does not sound like there is a lot of hope for my bitcoins.

So, I learned that bitcoins are not for me. It's just a shame, that this lesson cost me around 3.500 $. :-/

Thanks to everybody for your responses. If anybody has any other possible solutions in hand, please feel free to share them with me.

No I am sorry but this is your fault you should always write down your info or make sure wallet is on a good site like blockchain.info if you would have done research more you wouldn't be in this situation.

I sell cheap Pizza!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: