Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:11:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin's Killer App = High Speed Anonymous Internet (TOR like)  (Read 3352 times)
dillpicklechips (OP)

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 01:49:54 PM
Last edit: October 27, 2013, 11:42:43 PM by dillpicklechips

Imagine TOR but optimized to be high speed as the whole network runs with BTC integrated. Bandwidth costs BTC using micro-transactions. Abuse of the network costs money/resources and the network is compensated in a free market fashion. Technologies like bitcoin are integrated, proof of work, and proof of storage, etc are all integrated. People would run Bitcoin-TOR like nodes to make a little bit of money while users enjoy high speed.

What makes it the killer app? People who want to surf anonymously AND have high speed will now have to get BTC to enjoy it! It will make a market that requires people to get bitcoin since such a thing is not available any other way.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 02:11:40 PM

TOR itself was already considering this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJD1hDKDqlo (@ min. 5:00)

coinpr0n

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 02:13:09 PM

TOR itself was already considering this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJD1hDKDqlo (@ min. 5:00)

Sorry, to be clear: not with Bitcoin itself.. just the micro-payments part.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 04:55:46 PM

Imagine TOR but optimized to be high speed as the whole network runs with BTC integrated. Bandwidth costs BTC using micro-transactions. Abuse of the network costs money/resources and the network is compensated in a free market fashion. Technologies like bitcoin are integrated, proof of work, and proof of storage, etc are all integrated. People would run Bitcoin-TOR like nodes to make a little bit of money while users enjoy high speed.

What makes it the killer app? People who want to surf anonymously AND have high speed will now have to get BTC to enjoy it! It will make a market that requires people to get bitcoin since such a thing is not available any other way.

this indeed would be killer.
dillpicklechips (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 11:43:35 PM

I wonder how much work it would be to integrate bitcoin or would it have to be completely done from scratch?
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 11:47:59 PM

I wonder how much work it would be to integrate bitcoin or would it have to be completely done from scratch?

what you have to start with is improving the speed and efficiency of Tor.

then somehow incentivize Tor nodes with Bitcoin traffic payments.  the faster the node the more they get paid.  how you screen out gov't nodes i have no idea.

the point is i would gladly pay Bitcoin to use a high speed anonymous Tor network.
winnate

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 11:58:30 PM

I feel like there will always be a way to uncover TOR users, resulting a cat and mice chase to cover yourself up, but a high speed option would be great non the less.
vpitcher07

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 12:29:45 AM

I always thought that tor needed to have incentives for nodes. This sounds like a good idea. It'll also keep bit torrenters off of the tor network too.

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 12:53:03 AM

i just wanted to say I've been thinking about this for a while and i think its a really great idea.

also consider that you wouldn't necessarily need to use the internet. the if we had a real market in data transmission it would offer such good incentive for people to carry other peoples data that it could potentially be used to build a parallel internet with its own infrastructure provided by thousands of small entrepreneurs rather than giant ISP's.

I speak of course of meshnets. The market in data transmission would solve the sorts of load balancing problems that are causing scalability issues for meshnet researchers today. I have this theory that the reason meshnet researchers are unable to make scalable meshnets is precisely because they are computer scientists not economists and so they do not realize that this is an economics problem and not a computer science problem.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 02:25:46 AM

Did you forget that Bitcoin isn't anonymous? Kinda defeats the point of Tor to de-anonymise it...

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 02:43:35 AM

Did you forget that Bitcoin isn't anonymous? Kinda defeats the point of Tor to de-anonymise it...

It's anonymizable. That's good enough.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
dillpicklechips (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 03:28:36 AM

Couldn't coinjoin be built in? And if that wasn't good enough people could mine to have access to the anonymous Internet. Or just buy BTC in person with cash.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 03:45:03 AM

Couldn't coinjoin be built in? And if that wasn't good enough people could mine to have access to the anonymous Internet. Or just buy BTC in person with cash.

or maybe recruit/pay miners to be Tor nodes? 

there seem to be plenty of them around all over the world.  if you mine to protect the Bitcoin network, then you probably wouldn't mind being paid BTC to be a high speed anonymous Tor node.  it would be unlikely for a gov't to be a Tor node AND mine BTC to protect the Bitcoin network. 

seem to be mutually exclusive. 
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 03:46:56 AM

Not really.

Someone perfect, with no interaction with the real world, might be able to use it anonymously.
But nobody's perfect.

dillpicklechips (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 03:51:01 AM

Not really.

Someone perfect, with no interaction with the real world, might be able to use it anonymously.
But nobody's perfect.
Coinjoin should be able to help though? Perhaps it can be set up where you are paying the entrance node and they wouldn't know what your looking at the exit node.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 04:13:14 AM

Not really.

But nobody's perfect.

I'm talking about coin mixing and then making payments directly from the mixing service. you could access the mixing service through slow tor.

jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 06:19:53 AM

Most people aren't overly concerned with privacy. look at what people put up on facebook. bitcoin has many killer apps:  remittances, micropayments (in general), international trade, international freelancing (think about talented indian people doing jobs on elance for bitcoin), and as a store of value. But yeah, bitcoin anonymous internet service providers would be neat.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
dillpicklechips (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 06:26:49 AM

Most people aren't overly concerned with privacy. look at what people put up on facebook. bitcoin has many killer apps:  remittances, micropayments (in general), international trade, international freelancing (think about talented indian people doing jobs on elance for bitcoin), and as a store of value. But yeah, bitcoin anonymous internet service providers would be neat.
Exactly, the Bitcoinized TOR would be fast becuase you can optimize it without worrying about abuse or spam since all bandwidth will be paid for.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 06:33:35 AM

along this line I thought that hosting the blockchain on a redundant distributed cloud where anyone can contribute with his bandwidth and disk space in order to gain a fraction of the network fees might make the original client much more practical (electrum-like), while giving ppl an easy way to contribute significantly to the bitcoin network's resiliency and gain some btc.
coinpr0n

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 11:32:24 AM

Not really.

But nobody's perfect.

Probably right. The idea seems to work best for exit nodes (who aren't as anonymous) but not so much for relay nodes :/

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: