Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:27:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Change how "activity" is calculated  (Read 1593 times)
moderate (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

nearly dead

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 05:41:25 PM

Hey meta-people. So I was wondering about this "activity" you show for each user based on the amount of posts combined with the post frequency over weeks since registration, and other details I'm possibly forgetting right now.

My issue with this metric is that it is completely irrelevant, I see users posting replies like "lol, right", "me too", "hi", "you're welcome", and so on. Which are fully useless, add nothing to the topic, yet increases the activity. I can imaginate a couple of reasons of why people do that, like being close to 10 years old, raising activity in accounts for selling them so other people can promote their services with sock puppets, or getting a higher rank. I have no hope for the first situation, this requires a nation-wide re-education which this forum cannot handle.

The other situations can be partially handled by simple rules, a more advanced system would apply some form of NLP. Would it be possible to not count towards activity replies with less than 5 words ? Maybe even reduce the activity when that occurs. People reported as trolls and such should never have their activity increased until they stop trolling. You could also take a dict and only count the words in a reply that appear in that dict, if it is below 5, then it cannot count towards activity either.

This bothers me because legitimate "hero members" and others are negatively affected by this kind of people.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 05:54:49 PM

lulz

Serious: No method is perfect. In my opinion, making the activity system more complicated just makes it easier to cheat it. The more rules there are, the more ways there are to get around them.
moderate (OP)

nearly dead

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 06:09:28 PM

lulz

Serious: No method is perfect. In my opinion, making the activity system more complicated just makes it easier to cheat it. The more rules there are, the more ways there are to get around them.

I'm not claiming this to be a perfect method, neither suggesting there is a perfect one. These simple rules will at least make people read rules about how the activity works, and then put a little more effort into their spamming replies. I do believe this helps the situation, it does not avoid it.

EDIT: lulz roflmao
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 08:21:10 PM

My issue with this metric is that it is completely irrelevant, I see users posting replies like "lol, right", "me too", "hi", "you're welcome", and so on. Which are fully useless, add nothing to the topic, yet increases the activity.

No they don't.

The activity is the minimum of two values, one of them being the post count and the other is time-based. If you post a lot, the minimum will usually be the time-based one.
moderate (OP)

nearly dead

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 08:44:23 PM

My issue with this metric is that it is completely irrelevant, I see users posting replies like "lol, right", "me too", "hi", "you're welcome", and so on. Which are fully useless, add nothing to the topic, yet increases the activity.

No they don't.

No what ? They who ?

Anyway, if you post trash during a whole year the activity will still increase.
dserrano5
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 08:49:03 PM

No they don't.

No what ? They who ?

Please read your quoted text, then my answer.

If after doing that it's still unclear, well, you're talking about replies increasing the activity.
moderate (OP)

nearly dead

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 09:00:29 PM

No they don't.

No what ? They who ?

Please read your quoted text, then my answer.

If after doing that it's still unclear, well, you're talking about replies increasing the activity.

So your reply doesn't make sense, because obviously any reply contributes to raising the activity. You just need to keep posting garbage each week, which is very easy to do so and makes the activity metric irrelevant.
dserrano5
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 09:09:55 PM

So your reply doesn't make sense, because obviously any reply contributes to raising the activity. You just need to keep posting garbage each week, which is very easy to do so and makes the activity metric irrelevant.

Of course nothing stops people from filling the forum with junk but the activity counter is capped to an increase of 14 every two weeks, thus it doesn't inflate as quickly as a mere post count. You can make 10 junk posts a day totaling 140 posts in two weeks, yet your activity increase is limited.
moderate (OP)

nearly dead

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 09:14:08 PM

Of course nothing stops people from filling the forum with junk but the activity counter is capped to an increase of 14 every two weeks, thus it doesn't inflate as quickly as a mere post count. You can make 10 junk posts a day totaling 140 posts in two weeks, yet your activity increase is limited.

Thanks, I know it is limited like that but I didn't remember the exact rate. This point was made in the original post, did you read that ?

What I'm asking for is to apply some simple rules to reduce junk-activity members.
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 03:11:18 AM

I don't think it would make much of a difference. I believe we should just leave it as it is, it seems good enough that way.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 03:13:50 AM

Would it be possible to not count towards activity replies with less than 5 words ?

+1 that is a great idea. thanks.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 03:14:20 AM

^ Note this is not a great idea just pointing out that +1 will be replaced with equally trivial but longer statements.
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 03:21:34 AM

^ Note this is not a great idea just pointing out that +1 will be replaced with equally trivial but longer statements.
I agree with what he said. (Just what people will replace instead of just quoting someone or saying "this," so no, it won't work.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
dserrano5
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 09:07:16 AM

I agree with what he said. (Just what people will replace instead of just quoting someone or saying "this," so no, it won't work.

A discourse forum I'm a member of has a 20 character minimum size for posts (it may be discourse default, I dunno), so people do the obvious:

Agreed. Twenty characters
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 01:39:02 PM

Would it be possible to not count towards activity replies with less than 5 words ?

+1 that is a great idea. thanks.

next we're going to not count anything in the off topic section! and then the Alternate cryptocurrencies because neither is bitcoin related!

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
rampalija

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 04:48:40 PM

i saw that, many users post like one word or just a smiley, and yet their activity increases

fildza

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Ask me anything if you have any problem

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 06:16:07 PM

Quote from: theymos
The activity number is determined in this way: time = number of two-week periods in which you've posted since your registration activity = min(time * 14, posts)

Activity is updated every 30 minutes.

The new membergroup limits work like this: Group Requirement Brand New 0 posts

Newbie (none) Jr. Member 1 post written over 4 hours ago

Member activity: 15 Full Member activity: 60

Sr. Member activity: 200

Hero Member activity: 400

I'm not 100% sure that the membergroups work correctly. Tell me if you see any bugs.

This should explain how it works. The biggest factor is the two-week periods so spamming won't increase your activity that much.
Yes spamming will not make your activity increase much in a short time because it also based on your time count

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 08:01:40 PM

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠

Believe it or not, there are 200 characters in that post. How much is it worth, though? 0.
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 08:02:52 PM

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠

Believe it or not, there are 200 characters in that post. How much is it worth, though? 0.

Well, if you don't want it, imma gonna sell it on Bitmit.
dserrano5
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 09:01:00 PM

i saw that, many users post like one word or just a smiley, and yet their activity increases

It increases up to the next multiple of 14, then it stays static until 14 days have passed, then the mechanism is repeated.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: