Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:02:18 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Open letter to Russell Brand, asking him to join the bitcoin revolution  (Read 8122 times)
sdczen (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 05:50:20 PM

Some of the things I've been working on, is trying to bring bitcoin to a mainstream audience.  I'm trying to remove most of the technical jargon, by simply stating that bitcoin is a payment system & money rolled into one.  After I watched the passionate interview with Russell Brand, speaking of revolution because of failed government systems, I thought it was a good opportunity to write him an open letter.  The nice thing about bitcoin is that it doesn't matter what type of political affiliation you have, it will work for everyone.  For example: When Brand says he wants heavy taxation & massive redistribution of wealth.  Bitcoin doesn't care, it will remain free.  What are your thoughts on getting bitcoin mainstream?  Here's the letter:

Dear Russell:

I just finished watching your interview with Jeremy Paxman, aside from Mr. Paxman being a trite individual, it was fantastic exchange of new ideas vs. old.  I'm sure you were expecting Sinead O'Conner, or Miley Cyrus to write you this open-air missive.  Alas, I'm going to underwhelm you, because my fame and fortune are nonexistent.  So, here it is, you get me, Michael, writing you in hopes to get your attention to some important issues, in which are pertinent to your revolutionary interview.

As you summarized in your interview, people that have any sense, realize that voting changes nothing. Voting is an occupation for the disillusioned, the elderly, and hopeful tyrants.  We all know that voting for a new master every four years, still doesn't make you free.  Even still, the capacity to vote on people's fundamental human rights is the antithesis of freedom.  Yet, this is the paradigm we live under, and are born into.  In the United States there are approximately 240,000,000 people who are of voting age.  In the 2012 elections, the total votes cast was approximately 130,000,000.  That's a deficit of 110,000,000 people.  It ends up around 65,000,000 people elect a supposed "leader" for the remaining 310,000,000.  Of those voting, only a small percentage actually know what & how the government works.  Although, they parrot the talking points like good citizens, as their smug partisan destroy lives.

Read the rest here:  https://coinaxis.com/index.php/entry/open-letter-to-russell-brand-coinaxis
Xyver

Activity: 281
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 06:34:20 PM

Well said. Now, I don't know about open letters, but have you sent it to him? Or do you just send him that link.
sdczen (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 06:52:33 PM

Well said. Now, I don't know about open letters, but have you sent it to him? Or do you just send him that link.

I don't have his email address, so I sent it to his editor at the newstatesman (the site he's guest editor at), asking them to forward it onto him.  If anyone has a way to contact him, let me know.
tom.hashemi

Activity: 169

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 06:59:23 PM

Some of the things I've been working on, is trying to bring bitcoin to a mainstream audience.  I'm trying to remove most of the technical jargon, by simply stating that bitcoin is a payment system & money rolled into one.  After I watched the passionate interview with Russell Brand, speaking of revolution because of failed government systems, I thought it was a good opportunity to write him an open letter.  The nice thing about bitcoin is that it doesn't matter what type of political affiliation you have, it will work for everyone.  For example: When Brand says he wants heavy taxation & massive redistribution of wealth.  Bitcoin doesn't care, it will remain free.  What are your thoughts on getting bitcoin mainstream?  Here's the letter:

Dear Russell:

I just finished watching your interview with Jeremy Paxman, aside from Mr. Paxman being a trite individual, it was fantastic exchange of new ideas vs. old.  I'm sure you were expecting Sinead O'Conner, or Miley Cyrus to write you this open-air missive.  Alas, I'm going to underwhelm you, because my fame and fortune are nonexistent.  So, here it is, you get me, Michael, writing you in hopes to get your attention to some important issues, in which are pertinent to your revolutionary interview.

As you summarized in your interview, people that have any sense, realize that voting changes nothing. Voting is an occupation for the disillusioned, the elderly, and hopeful tyrants.  We all know that voting for a new master every four years, still doesn't make you free.  Even still, the capacity to vote on people's fundamental human rights is the antithesis of freedom.  Yet, this is the paradigm we live under, and are born into.  In the United States there are approximately 240,000,000 people who are of voting age.  In the 2012 elections, the total votes cast was approximately 130,000,000.  That's a deficit of 110,000,000 people.  It ends up around 65,000,000 people elect a supposed "leader" for the remaining 310,000,000.  Of those voting, only a small percentage actually know what & how the government works.  Although, they parrot the talking points like good citizens, as their smug partisan destroy lives.

Read the rest here:  https://coinaxis.com/index.php/entry/open-letter-to-russell-brand-coinaxis

Why doesn't Russell Brand start this revolution by donating his multimillion pound fortune towards erasing wealth disparity?

Oh yeah, because he's a hypocritical moron.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:02:53 PM

and if anyone has not watched the interview, here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YR4CseY9pk

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 07:17:47 PM

reminds me a little bit of bepe grillo in italy. he get ALOT of votes by the last elections (from 0 to maybe 25%  Shocked):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Sb9CXYUrQ

grillo would like bitcoin too i guess. hes an internet guy, maybe he already heard of it.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 07:35:54 PM

Once converted, Russell can get his friend on board: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en9yNEkU5kU
sdczen (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 07:44:27 PM

Once converted, Russell can get his friend on board: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en9yNEkU5kU

Ahhh, wouldn't that be fantastic if the Dalai Lama came out in full support of bitcoin?  Let the peaceful bitcoin revolution begin!
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 08:19:07 PM

ZeroHedge picking up your letter is a good start:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-10-25/open-letter-russell-brand

Well done.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
djalexr

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 09:21:11 PM

good job my freind get this out there, brand is extremely popular in the UK amongst young people and if he ever even mentioned bitcoin, it would be great publicity

i think he has a twitter btw, could be worth trying that

No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1033

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 01:26:17 AM

Never really stopped to listen to Russell Brand. I'm impressed.

Hope he reads the letter.
chufchuf

Activity: 205

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 01:57:23 AM

Didn't this letter appear on Zerohedge?

I thought it was irony and parody of the far left and the far right. Brand had recently gone on Alex Jones programs, which was odd to say the least. Brand wants inflation and taxes, Jones thinks inflation and taxes are the big conspiracy. Bitcoin is all about capital contracts, whereas Brand is apparently all about social contracts. Both give themselves a holiness to their historical narrative that is easy to parody. So I assumed the letter was making fun of both.
vesperwillow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 03:53:31 AM

Anyone who wants more taxes, and believes it'll fix anything, lacks immensely in the knowledge of history and basic math.

mel2000

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 04:18:06 AM

Anyone who wants more taxes, and believes it'll fix anything, lacks immensely in the knowledge of history and basic math.

Higher taxes are credited with helping California climb out of its financial quagmire.
sdczen (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 04:40:10 AM

The beauty behind bitcoin is that it doesn't matter what Brand's political philosophy is.  What does matter, is if he supports/promotes bitcoin, he can bring it to his millions of adoring, non-technical fans.  
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 04:44:52 AM
Last edit: October 28, 2013, 03:10:45 PM by Anon136

bravo sir. you very neatly stepped around all the landmines.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
spooderman
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 12:24:47 PM

Dear Russell:

Why doesn't Russell Brand start this revolution by donating his multimillion pound fortune towards erasing wealth disparity?

Oh yeah, because he's a hypocritical moron.

*sigh* everyone is.

Society doesn't scale.
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 12:57:37 PM

I saw your open letter this morning in LinkedIn, posted in the Bitcoin Group, hope it will make it to him!

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
vesperwillow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 01:00:41 PM

Higher taxes are credited with helping California climb out of its financial quagmire.

Going back to the basic math and history tenants of my post--the reason behind their bankruptcy, and why they'll be bankrupt again. And again. And again.

Not to mention no civilization in known history has ever permanently solved its financial woes by raising taxes. If you're having financial woes, it's likely because you're bleeding out due to unwise spending, counting the chickens before the eggs have hatched.

Typically in civilizations, continually increasing the financial burden of the people leads to one of two conclusions: The eventual complete dissolving of the civilization, or civil war/emigration.

sdczen (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 03:08:29 PM

Going back to the basic math and history tenants of my post--the reason behind their bankruptcy, and why they'll be bankrupt again. And again. And again.

Not to mention no civilization in known history has ever permanently solved its financial woes by raising taxes. If you're having financial woes, it's likely because you're bleeding out due to unwise spending, counting the chickens before the eggs have hatched.

Typically in civilizations, continually increasing the financial burden of the people leads to one of two conclusions: The eventual complete dissolving of the civilization, or civil war/emigration.

Good point.  The spending binge doesn't just end at the US Federal level, the states jumped on the free-money bandwagon too.  The state I'm in, increased it's spending by 10X over the last decade.  It's far from the 3-5% growth that you'd expect.  The breakdown of the system will not be pretty. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: