Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:36:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Open letter to Russell Brand, asking him to join the bitcoin revolution  (Read 8120 times)
sdczen (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 07:52:05 PM

Another thing.

No one is going to show the bitcoin community love as long as greedy hoarders are the face of it. That needs to change, and everyone will make an episode about bitcoin.

No one wants to tell everyone watching TV to go talk to a bunch of assholes (the current bitcoin community).

This is one of the driving forces behind building coinaxis, I wanted to remove the technical jargon (as much as possible), and create an environment where the non-techie can learn without the snark.  The real wealth behind bitcoin is if mass adoption happens.  The only way to do that, is to make it easy to use/explain/understand....and desirable.

https://coinaxis.com/index.php/news/entry/bitcoin-an-emerging-global-payment-system-coinaxis

For many of you it's like preaching to the chior, but that doesn't remove the need for teenagers & grannies, and everyone else in between. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ANiceJewishBoy

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 08:07:51 PM

Another thing.

No one is going to show the bitcoin community love as long as greedy hoarders are the face of it. That needs to change, and everyone will make an episode about bitcoin.

No one wants to tell everyone watching TV to go talk to a bunch of assholes (the current bitcoin community).

This is one of the driving forces behind building coinaxis, I wanted to remove the technical jargon (as much as possible), and create an environment where the non-techie can learn without the snark.  The real wealth behind bitcoin is if mass adoption happens.  The only way to do that, is to make it easy to use/explain/understand....and desirable.

https://coinaxis.com/index.php/news/entry/bitcoin-an-emerging-global-payment-system-coinaxis

For many of you it's like preaching to the chior, but that doesn't remove the need for teenagers & grannies, and everyone else in between. 

Exactly.

I sent this to over 3,000 people this weekend Smiley
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1peyx7/holy_shit_this_changes_bitcoin/

And sent this to everyone that said "Bitcoin" on twitter in the last hour Smiley
#Bitcoin is changing for the better http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1peyx7/holy_shit_this_changes_bitcoin/ … #Devcoin #MCXnow #FutureOfBTC
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 09:00:37 PM

Of all people.... Russell Brand?

What's the matter, couldn't find a bigger douche?

sdczen (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 11:39:57 PM

He was the only one talking about revolution, other than him, Ben Bernanke would never respond to my bailout requests.
AndrewWilliams

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 05:37:54 AM

He was the only one talking about revolution, other than him, Ben Bernanke would never respond to my bailout requests.

His revolution is not one I would like to see. He is extremely liberal in his views, and his revolution is mainly sexual in nature...
I haven't heard any remotely bright ideas from his mouth, ever.

The guy is an attention whore, nothing more. Let's get some A list people on board, leave the F list out of this Wink

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 07:53:28 AM

+1

Definitely!

more or less retired.
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 09:22:08 AM

Brand's interview was babbling idiocy. A revolutionary who has absolutely no idea how to do anything to accomplish his goals other than 'a new system.' Well gee, asshole, what makes your system any better and not worse than the system we have?

There already exist political parties who want to tax the rich more and give it to the poor, and who want to pass more laws protecting the environment.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
vesperwillow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 02:00:36 PM

Also, I do like the idea of coins for a purpose as you mentioned, with a single main 'line' of coins for all purposes (bitcoin for example). Value is derived from purpose and use typically, so take altcoins and give them particular purposes, and you'll have inherint value.

Exactly. Make altcoins the "gate way drug" of bitcoin.

Is there some sort of global cryptocurrency group? If not, there needs to be one, which would help gather this information into one place. There has to be some sort of basic organization of it all. Doesn't mean more coins can't pop up, but being able to provide central meaning to all of them would help.

AndrewWilliams

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 06:10:29 PM

Brand's interview was babbling idiocy. A revolutionary who has absolutely no idea how to do anything to accomplish his goals other than 'a new system.' Well gee, asshole, what makes your system any better and not worse than the system we have?

There already exist political parties who want to tax the rich more and give it to the poor, and who want to pass more laws protecting the environment.

Exactly. He is a total idiot, and I use that word sparingly.

If you ever seen his show on TV in the USA (might already be canceled), you would see what a stooge he is.

The one time I saw it he was basically asking the female guest all sexual questions when the topic being discussed, terrorism, was serious.

And the fact he dated Katy Perry, -1.

Bad taste all around.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 06:21:47 PM
Last edit: October 30, 2013, 06:35:53 PM by franky1

Exactly. He is a total idiot, and I use that word sparingly.

If you ever seen his show on TV in the USA (might already be canceled), you would see what a stooge he is.

The one time I saw it he was basically asking the female guest all sexual questions when the topic being discussed, terrorism, was serious.

And the fact he dated Katy Perry, -1.

Bad taste all around.

would you prefer a politician that pretends he has no sexual desires in his veins, brains and DNA, a politician that denies inhaling drugs, a politician that just talks about what people want to hear, knowing after its said nothing changes
while later it comes to light he is a recovering drug addict and a womaniser.

or would you prefer a person that actually speaks his mind openly, that doesn't hide behind what nanny states call inappropriate and doesnt have its hands tied to 50 other politicians before a single speech or decision can be made.

i would love it if bush, clinton, or obama showed their human side.. by simply pointing at their wives and say 'i tap that, every night' we all know they do it, so why be against a human being that is not afraid to admit his previous failings with drugs and women.. i think honestly is the best policy.. and NOT policy without honesty is best

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
AndrewWilliams

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 07:00:46 PM

would you prefer a politician that pretends he has no sexual desires in his veins, brains and DNA, a politician that denies inhaling drugs, a politician that just talks about what people want to hear, knowing after its said nothing changes

or would you prefer a person that actually speaks his mind openly, that doesn't hide behind what nanny states call inappropriate and doesnt have its hands tied to 50 other politicians before a single speech or decision can be made.

i would love it if bush, clinton, or obama showed their human side.. by simply pointing at their wives and say 'i tap that, every night' we all know they do it, so why be against a human being that is not afraid to admit his previous failings with drugs and women.. i think honestly is the best policy.. and NOT policy without honesty is best

Huh?

How about neither? You seem to be stuck in the mainstream media mind of things.

On one side you have people like Clinton and Obama. On the other we have way coooool Russell Brand.... not.

Sorry mate, turn off the telly and tune out of that hogwash. Brand is a tool.

You want someone to bring positive attention to Bitcoin?

Winklevoss twins are a good start. Have the news cover the Chinese investing all their money in Bitcoin instead of US dollars.

Heck, just get some rappers to put Bitcoin in their songs, that will probably help the most, LOL.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 07:53:20 PM

Huh?

How about neither? You seem to be stuck in the mainstream media mind of things.

On one side you have people like Clinton and Obama. On the other we have way coooool Russell Brand.... not.

Sorry mate, turn off the telly and tune out of that hogwash. Brand is a tool.

You want someone to bring positive attention to Bitcoin?

Winklevoss twins are a good start. Have the news cover the Chinese investing all their money in Bitcoin instead of US dollars.

Heck, just get some rappers to put Bitcoin in their songs, that will probably help the most, LOL.

get some rapper to make a song about bitcoin is your response to changing government or beginning a revolution?Huh

unlike eminem or other rappers that would just make a song and thats it.. who would you have in mind. and how would that actually change things long term.

now getting back to my statement, having someone the public recognise that when they say something, its atleast honest and a better step in the right direction. and then having the passion and desire to want change is the next step. russell brand isnt just saying words, he honestly does want to create change. he has alot of activism history and getting his nose into matters such as the G-20, iran and other issues..

what has marshall mathers done.. handed some food to a food bank as a promotion for his foundation, which is now a tax dodge.

as for the winklevoss twins.. they are not selling or promoting bitcoin, they are selling personal shares into their own company which they value at X amount of bitcoins.. its their attempt to cash in on the bitcoin hype, as they missed doing it with the gold or platinum hype of decades gone.

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
sdczen (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2013, 08:07:07 PM

Side-stepping the opinions of Brand, or any other person for that matter.  The nice thing about bitcoin is it doesn't matter who likes it, supports it, promotes it, etc...  Bitcoin is a function of utility, and it becomes more secure, and valuable with more people using it.  If Brand promotes bitcoin, it would be no different than him promoting Mercedes, except the upside potential affects bitcoin users, not a corporation.  

If Brands million+ fans decide to hop on board with bitcoin, does it matter who the spokesman is?  It's part of gaining mass adoption, and it's necessary if you want things like bitcoin to succeed.  And when I say succeed, I mean, become wildly successful.  Right now most of the conversation is centered around technically inclined people, and outright nerds (I being the latter).  That doesn't cut it among the masses.  Take Linux for example.  Great software, horrible marketing.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 08:16:25 PM

Side-stepping the opinions of Brand, or any other person for that matter.  The nice thing about bitcoin is it doesn't matter who likes it, supports it, promotes it, etc...  Bitcoin is a function of utility, and it becomes more secure, and valuable with more people using it.  If Brand promotes bitcoin, it would be no different than him promoting Mercedes, except the upside potential affects bitcoin users, not a corporation.  

If Brands million+ fans decide to hop on board with bitcoin, does it matter who the spokesman is?  It's part of gaining mass adoption, and it's necessary if you want things like bitcoin to succeed.  And when I say succeed, I mean, become wildly successful.  Right now most of the conversation is centered around technically inclined people, and outright nerds (I being the latter).  That doesn't cut it among the masses.  Take Linux for example.  Great software, horrible marketing.
+1

its not all about promoting it, its also about getting it to be useful. most mindsets are about promoting people to just buy bitcoin for the sake of raising the price. i prefer the promoting side where it gets USED by the people after they have bought in.. i know it only takes at the moment nearly 12 million people to deposit £$1000 ever in their life, to lift the market cap to a £$1000 per bitcoin price. but then what.. will these 12 million people be able to buy a coffee at starbucks instantly.. will a forgeign worker be able to send money home to his grandparents and they understand it enough and know a sleek method of converting bitcoins back to pay their own rent and electric bills?? or better yet, convince their landlord to accept bitcoin direct?

promoting bitcoins through songs and media is not enough, there has to be some footwork done. like getting these third world banks to no longer rely on a centralised database designed by microsoft access and modified operating systems to secure the digital numbers it holds.. but to get them to use the block chain and learn how they dont have to rely on corporations or charities to aid running their banks.

now back to the russell brand subject.. name me 3 other people that are internationally recognised as being:
involved with activist stuff EG not afraid to attend protests
involved in politics EG speaking up for stuff happening relating to G-20, the third-world, warzones, etc
what comes out of their mouth is atleast more honest then any government leader would dare say on TV

idev

Activity: 859
Merit: 1004

BTC OG and designer of the BitcoinMarket.com logo

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 08:18:24 PM

You know that. What a wasteman brand is.
tom.hashemi

Activity: 169

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 08:41:35 PM

THIS is why Brand's interview was a joke

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/10/robert-webb-re-joins-labour-protest-russell-brand
AndrewWilliams

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 06:33:36 PM

get some rapper to make a song about bitcoin is your response to changing government or beginning a revolution?Huh

unlike eminem or other rappers that would just make a song and thats it.. who would you have in mind. and how would that actually change things long term.

now getting back to my statement, having someone the public recognise that when they say something, its atleast honest and a better step in the right direction. and then having the passion and desire to want change is the next step. russell brand isnt just saying words, he honestly does want to create change. he has alot of activism history and getting his nose into matters such as the G-20, iran and other issues..

what has marshall mathers done.. handed some food to a food bank as a promotion for his foundation, which is now a tax dodge.

as for the winklevoss twins.. they are not selling or promoting bitcoin, they are selling personal shares into their own company which they value at X amount of bitcoins.. its their attempt to cash in on the bitcoin hype, as they missed doing it with the gold or platinum hype of decades gone.

Revolution is a big word.

The way to get Bitcoin to expand is through integration into popular culture; songs, TV, movies, etc.

I never mentioned Eminem, and am perplexed you mention him since he is not a legitimate rapper. Sorry.

Brand is a joke. Plain and simple. He is the Kanye West of the UK. He needs to disappear already.

If you need to read it from someone else: http://www.salon.com/2013/10/25/i_dont_stand_with_russell_brand_and_neither_should_you/
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 01:46:25 AM

Another thing.

I'm not being an asshole. I promise! I'm telling people to, 'just buy one, forget about it for ten years' at the least. If you start finding it convenient spend and replenish so you always have that one. If I'm wrong see me in ten years and I'll buy dinner'.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2013, 04:03:53 AM

He's got my vote:

sdczen (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2013, 05:58:22 AM

He's got my vote:

http://www.vegasnews.com/wp-content/uploads/Andrew-Dice-Clay-at-TAO-red-carpe-570t.jpg

Or???

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-UP782_oreill_E_20120917235735.jpg
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: