Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:49:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Made a physical Bitcoin tip jar (Youtube)  (Read 1721 times)
brand_new (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 01:46:56 AM
Last edit: October 29, 2013, 02:15:15 AM by brand_new

Hey guys,  just joined up here. I was waiting for the site to open up registration again haha.

A few weeks ago I made a tip jar for fun that lights up when BTC are sent to the address. I thought some of you might enjoy it. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67McSlKwgX8

Just a few days ago I also created a Chrome extension called popCoin that tracks outgoing/incoming BTC payments to whatever address you specify and notifies you when transactions occur. It's pretty lightweight on memory, and I think a lot of people would have use for it. If you enjoy it, please give me a quick rating on the Chrome store.
popCoin: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/popcoin/akngodfjackkjikgbaebbleigmafgbgm

The source is also on Github, in case you guys don't trust me yet. This is my first jump into web development though, so it's rough looking code-wise: https://github.com/leethomas/popCoin

Thanks for reading, and please let me know what you guys think. I look forward to hanging around.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hxtop

Activity: 1071
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 02:22:14 AM

I think you realy want to ads the ppcoin...
brand_new (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 03:02:37 AM

I'm not sure I understand your post. But I think you're saying that I really want people to add popCoin to Chrome, because I bolded it.

I bolded it because I felt it was lost in the wall of text. Do I want people to install it? Of course! I made it with the hope that people would find utility in it.
illpoet

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 04:44:25 AM

lol i love your tip jar you should make a small usb version and sell it for bitcoins! i think the other post was about using your popcoin thing to also track ppcoin addresses, which is a sha256 alt coin similiar to bitcoin. it probably wouldn't be hard to modify.  anyway im gonna download and try popcoin now! it would be useful to get some notification when my cold wallet gets a payout from my mining pool.

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.
brand_new (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 06:10:18 PM

lol i love your tip jar you should make a small usb version and sell it for bitcoins! i think the other post was about using your popcoin thing to also track ppcoin addresses, which is a sha256 alt coin similiar to bitcoin. it probably wouldn't be hard to modify.  anyway im gonna download and try popcoin now! it would be useful to get some notification when my cold wallet gets a payout from my mining pool.
Thanks man! I'm definitely working on a lot smaller version. We'll see how it turns out.

I didn't know what ppcoins were. Maybe he thought that I was making a reference to them with the name popCoin? I may add ppcoin lookup functionality down the road if it's popular enough.
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 11:26:31 PM

Hey looks really good. I sent you a message the other day on youtube telling about how I was making almost the same device. But I think it's cool how you're doing it with Arduino. I'm using raspberry pi but really I think Arduino is better if you can do it, because it boots faster and it's cheaper.
Ecurb123

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 11:28:12 PM

Also looks like your code is way different than mine, I'm also new to development so I'm going to check out the code closer tomorrow when I get a chance.
brand_new (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 01:20:17 AM

Also looks like your code is way different than mine, I'm also new to development so I'm going to check out the code closer tomorrow when I get a chance.
Hey, I replied to you on Youtube. Your idea is pretty cool. It's definitely nothing that I imagined in implementation, but as far as what our ideas do, things seem pretty similar. I actually don't have the code for the tip jar uploaded yet. What is on Github is the code for the notifications Chrome extension, which is a totally unrelated project (though works similarly).
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 01:27:34 AM

it uses blockchain.info api for getting transaction info. it would be difficult to add any alt-coin support without heavy modifications to the code.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
ANiceJewishBoy

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 04:07:29 AM

This is an amazing idea. I am definitely going to do this in my soon to come YouTube videos.
brand_new (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 04:16:22 PM

it uses blockchain.info api for getting transaction info. it would be difficult to add any alt-coin support without heavy modifications to the code.
Now that I've really looked into ppcoin, the extension would definitely have to be rewritten almost entirely to support it. At first glance I had thought it was apart of the Bitcoin blockchain or something.

This is an amazing idea. I am definitely going to do this in my soon to come YouTube videos.
Thanks dude. Let me know when you make something!
ANiceJewishBoy

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 04:45:54 PM

Thanks dude. Let me know when you make something!

I will, I plan on posting all of them on these forums.
Ecurb123

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 08:53:06 PM

Hey, I replied to you on Youtube. Your idea is pretty cool. It's definitely nothing that I imagined in implementation, but as far as what our ideas do, things seem pretty similar. I actually don't have the code for the tip jar uploaded yet. What is on Github is the code for the notifications Chrome extension, which is a totally unrelated project (though works similarly).

Ah yeah I see now. But when you get a chance I'd like to see the code. While I was driving to work today I was thinking about making a fully contained wallet, meaning with the full blockchain on it. It would be like a physical hardware wallet. I could see it being able to send a receive coins.
brand_new (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2013, 04:40:21 PM

That's a nice idea! Love to see it in shops in a few years Cheesy
Hey, hopefully sooner!

Ah yeah I see now. But when you get a chance I'd like to see the code. While I was driving to work today I was thinking about making a fully contained wallet, meaning with the full blockchain on it. It would be like a physical hardware wallet. I could see it being able to send a receive coins.
Sure. I'll be releasing it on October 31st. Just have to clean some thing up first. Working on a hardware wallet sounds like a  lot of fun, but I'm not sure I have a structural knowledge of Bitcoin strong enough to do something like that. Definitely document your process if you do end up trying that out.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?
Ecurb123

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 05:40:06 PM

Yeah I will for sure, if I end up doing something with it. I'm an IT project manager, I've have various technical jobs in the past, but even still this raspberry pi stuff is a nice challenge. You can see some of the other projects I'm working on or thinking about working on here. ecurb.info
ANiceJewishBoy

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 06:55:23 PM

Is there any chance anyone here would make a "YouTube coin", a coin that is MEANT to tip YouTubers with.

I'm pretty sure YouTube would just hire whoever made it, as long as they got a good share.
The Future of Funding & Promotions
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=321086.0

Google coin might be better, more universal.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: