Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:02:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie from Indonesia with some questions!  (Read 516 times)
kfruit (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 07:41:22 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm a student from Indonesia and have been following bitcoin on and off for about a year. I mind as well ask some stupid questions I have been thinking about so this post isn't just spam Tongue

1. Are sites like bitvisitor.com and the likes safe? I mean couldn't someone advertise a site that has a keylogger/malware/virus?

2. How do you think bitcoin will overcome the difficulties of being too technical/unsafe for the 'average joe'?

3. Some time ago I mined some litcoins and put them up at btc-e to trade for 0.03 bitcoins but it turns out that I need 0.1 to withdraw! Anyone have any practical solutions?

Oh, and if anyone is selling bitcoins here in Indo hit me up!

Thanks guys  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
just_me

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

Jesus Christ Saves Sinners

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 07:58:25 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm a student from Indonesia and have been following bitcoin on and off for about a year. I mind as well ask some stupid questions I have been thinking about so this post isn't just spam Tongue

1. Are sites like bitvisitor.com and the likes safe? I mean couldn't someone advertise a site that has a keylogger/malware/virus?

2. How do you think bitcoin will overcome the difficulties of being too technical/unsafe for the 'average joe'?

3. Some time ago I mined some litcoins and put them up at btc-e to trade for 0.03 bitcoins but it turns out that I need 0.1 to withdraw! Anyone have any practical solutions?

Thanks guys  Grin

1- I also wonder about viruses on any websites on the net. Perhaps the safest way to view a site that I know of, is to use Tor, but also use a proxy service through Tor to view the website. Never had any virus problems doing it that way.

2- I don't really think bitcoin is all that hard to use at all. Just download the wallet, and then get some bitcoins, and you are good to go. Much easier than paypal, and allows alot of freedoms with having your own wallet on your own pc and such.

3- I think you can use cryptsy.com and sell your litecoins for bitcoins, and the withdrawal charge at cryptsy for bitcoins is much less. ( I haven't checked it, but i think it is much cheaper )

Today is the day that the Lord has made, lets be glad and rejoice in it
Thenen

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 08:50:11 AM

Hey everyone,

Thanks guys  Grin

1) It is always save to visit website, just don't download anything that might contain trojan or virus.

2) Make sure you have many wallet backup and have a really long password. Brute force would take million of years..

3) No.
Snail21

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 09:29:30 AM

Hey everyone,

Thanks guys  Grin

1. If you have a proper antivirus software what provides a complete protection then generally speaking yes, it's safe. BTW stick to the known established sites like bitvisitor for example.

2. Bitcoin clients are quite user friendly, but if you have questions you can get good answers in the technical support section on this forum.

3. Trade more Smiley. Sooner or later you will reach 0.1. Other option: in the services section here some people offering help for such scenarios, but be extremely careful and do business only with old trusted members.
kfruit (OP)

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 11:09:32 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. In my second question I was more talking about how every other day I hear about some guys wallet getting stolen/corrupted even though they had significant protection, also the problem with the inherent risk for buyers since their is no way to get your money back like paypal/credit cards. I definitely hope someone finds a way to solve this without turning bitcoin into just another run of the mill currency!
seafarer124

Activity: 302

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 01:40:17 PM

Try this for buying/selling in IDR.  Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand have active communities.

https://localbitcoins.com/country/ID

meta.p02

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 02:48:56 PM

bitvisitor.com is generally safe (though rewards these days are getting smaller and smaller...) If you are concerned about safety, run it in a virtual machine. There are some small distributions of Linux that don't require much memory and that you can use as a disposable web browser. Suggestions escape me a this time, though.

Thanks for all the replies guys. In my second question I was more talking about how every other day I hear about some guys wallet getting stolen/corrupted even though they had significant protection, also the problem with the inherent risk for buyers since their is no way to get your money back like paypal/credit cards. I definitely hope someone finds a way to solve this without turning bitcoin into just another run of the mill currency!

Always keep encrypted backups of your wallet in multiple locations. This way you are able to recover from corruption/loss/computer damage. (Just don't put the backups all in the same house!) If you are buying things with bitcoins, unless (and even if) you trust the seller extremely well you should use an escrow service (like that provided by bitmit). They keep the funds and only release it to the seller when you receive the product in a satisfactory condition.

And as for buying bitcoins, as others have suggested, LocalBitcoins is the best solution. Take care when meeting in person, though.

Earn Devcoins by Writing | Trade on Cryptsy! Faucets: Watch ads, earn Bitcoin | Visit pages, get Bitcoin | Gamble with faucet earnings!
If you found my post informative/interesting, consider tipping at BTC: 15877457612137dj4MM57bGXRkPzU4wPRM or DVC: 1B2PAYVe9BQRrZKaWZxWtunutwrm6fVcF7.
HashEngineering

Activity: 350

Independent Cryptoveloper

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 04:03:45 AM

Indeed, I was once mining LTC and then used BTC-e to sell them.  And I had to mine for 5 days or something to get that 0.1 BTC to withdraw.

GRS:  FrFpTbfEAni5Ruf8mNdwVQazJVJaQyEM2Y
BTC:  128Ptecsv4j6NoxdBxdvGzBtipfaAarZMJ
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=336215 - Android Wallet Creation Service
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 04:07:37 AM

this is potentially the answer to question 2 https://moneero.com/

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
indiamikezulu

Activity: 18

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:30:19 AM

Very excited to see your post!  I am builfing a micro-business. Only micro sebab gue agak buta.

Email me at m.j.blair.60@gmail.com and tell me what you think.

I have designed, a partial.reyurn to the libertarian nature of altcoins. Called 'P-WIP'. We are goimg trade 'packets' of altcoins here in austtalia by website, internet-banking, and phone.

;Juga mau cabang R.I.  Indonesians in australia will be able to buy altcoins amd use them as a 'supranational' bankimg system yang tanpa apapun hubungan apapun sama bank2 R.I.

Mark blair. Western australia
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: